Soccer Stadium

GRDadof3

17 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

On the question of if we can support a team, GRFC had close to 7000 people for a couple of matches in 2016 and averaged 4500 per game for the season. That was an amateur league with a shoe string budget (so not very much in the way of extra curriculars / fan experience). I better stadium, with better a customer experience and higher level play 8-10 years later should have no problem drawing crowds. 

Putting a roof on it would probably add exorbitant costs and drive the prices up. A lot of seats at USL Championship games are $10-15 a ticket, which makes it family-friendly. The price point is probably not possible (maybe an MLS team could support a stadium with a roof? I don't think most stadiums have roofs/domes , unless they are dual purpose (Chicago Fire playing at Soldier Field).

I would love to see them pack it full with other leagues, sports, tournaments, etc. 

Joe

Someone asked about a roof at one of the focus group events and the project team expressed that adding a roof to the stadium would be cost prohibitive. 

1 hour ago, gvsusean said:

Did anyone ask about combining with GVSU?

This was unlikely to happen with GVSU upgrading Lubbers Stadium very recently.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a conversation there but I would guess Lubbers renovation was planned well ahead of this soccer stadium.

8 hours ago, Zads said:

This was unlikely to happen with GVSU upgrading Lubbers Stadium very recently.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a conversation there but I would guess Lubbers renovation was planned well ahead of this soccer stadium.

GVSU has several upgrade plans in the works for Lubbers Stadium. New concession and bathroom building, an overlook in the northwest corner, an expansion of the east side stands, an elevator in the back of the press box for ADA reasons…Plus they just built a brand new football center a few years ago. They’re not going anywhere. 

One step closer. I have to imagine we'll see real plans and updated renderings soon:

The stadium would be located on surface parking lots just west of US-131, and will include two buildings connected by a circular concourse, according to the planning application. 

“Storefronts connect office, hospitality and retail spaces of the west building to the streetscape in support of a healthy, walkable pedestrian experience,” according to the planning application. “Architectural metal panel and burnished masonry walls clad internal support spaces including utility, commercial kitchen and restroom spaces.” 

https://www.crainsgrandrapids.com/news/real-estate/developer-files-construction-plans-for-grand-rapids-soccer-stadium/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=linkedin&utm_term=crain's+grand+rapids+business&utm_content=35937865-40f5-4bfd-aca4-8bf2d927f912

8 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

. . . The stadium design will reflect the community’s culture within the furniture and boating industry,

Huh!  Boating industry?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

how does Crains have the submission?  I looked on Planning Commission page and nothing has been posted on that agenda yet...

19 hours ago, cstonesparty said:

how does Crains have the submission?

They do a pretty good job at having journalists at events and meetings; they probably just talked to Grand Action people.  AFAIK, everyone respects Crains.  They are not MLive.

20 hours ago, Zads said:

I'm also quite pleased to see no more land committed to parking

Same, as long as it doesn't include parking I'm for it.  A bit sad the east side will be one story,  but, meh; possibly just space constraints.  More barrier to the roar of MDOT's car sewer would be a good thing.

Edited by whitemice

I think they're going off of this:

https://inspections.grcity.us/CitizenAccess/Cap/CapDetail.aspx?Module=Planning&TabName=Planning&capID1=24CAP&capID2=00000&capID3=0089O&agencyCode=GRANDRAPIDS&IsToShowInspection=

Storefronts connect office, hospitality, and retail spaces of the west building to the streetscape in support of a healthy, walkable pedestrian experience. Architectural metal panel and burnished masonry walls clad internal support spaces including utility, commercial kitchen, and restroom spaces. The west building is three stories, containing the restaurant, team store, the majority of suites, and the press box. The east building is one story, containing locker rooms, team and official spaces, security, facility maintenance, utilities, and food and beverage storage

I was confused about the "boating" thing too, but it comes right from this application

• Like 1

I'm very happy for the stadium and team coming to the city.  Great news there.  What I am questioning is the location.  To me, from years of taking that Pearl exit for GVSU and the YMCA, I think that is one of the most difficult exit ramps (trying to merge quickly onto Mt Vernon, not having a good view of what's coming from Mt Vernon, and trying to get over quickly to turn right onto Pearl.  Pushing a rush of cars before a game through there just seems very challenging.  Hopefully someone much smarter than I am has this figured out.

Side note: As someone who uses a wheelchair and uses the DDH YMCA, I hope that they maintain good snow/slush maintenance at the sidewalk street crossings between the GVSU ramp and the YMCA.

• Like 4

That's a valid point with that exit With such a big development they definitely have an opportunity to rework some of those streets in the area. I would hope that on game days they could reroute traffic and close Mt Vernon just to ease traffic off the highway. 

I still live in hope that they will pedestrianize summer Ave from Bridge to the stadium. it would almost have that Greek town feeling in Detroit before games at Ford Field, with all the bars and restaurants in the area. 

Edited by jonrapley
  • Like 4

The renderings were quite underwhelming in my opinion.  I hope the stadium doesn't actually end up looking like this, the lack of seats all the way around the pitch will create a horrible atmosphere and just looks unfinished. 

Also I understand that the layout is kind of awkward with the former Big Boy site, but that plaza/entrance on the south east will be opposite a burger king and a highway entrance, not exactly the pedestrian friendly area the renderings make it out to be. I'll be more curious to see what they do with the north end and how they incorporate that into fans coming from bridge Street. 

On 11/8/2023 at 9:20 AM, cstonesparty said:

I don't think with Progressive AE working on this that will happen.  These renderings and the renderings from the amphitheater are all of a style that they (or a specific designer there) seem to be favoring lately, and a TON of the metal panel cladding in stuff they've designed...

reupping on this comment since the recent renderings show same metal cladding trend...  folks who were hoping for brick & ivy / old fashioned ballpark cues.  It's definitely not that!?url=http%3A%2F%2Fewscripps-brightspot.s3.amazonaws.com%2Ff6%2F6a%2F5d30fdd540e29676267d60549bc6%2F20240222-nw-corner-labeled-final.jpg

Edited by cstonesparty

Some of the things I would be asking.  Maybe they have already been answered.

What has been the track record of other single use soccer facilities in other parts of the country, in particular northern areas?  What made those facilities successful or not?  Is the plan to incorporate the stadium into an extension .. with easy access..  to the bar/restaurant district already in place on Bridge?  Is there a soccer season and is it sufficiently multi-faceted  to allow other functions be held for off-season financial revenue?

10 minutes ago, cstonesparty said:

reupping on this comment since the recent renderings show same metal cladding trend...  folks who were hoping for brick & ivy / old fashioned ballpark cues.  It's definitely not that!

I don't hate it, but I don't love it.

I'm in the camp that was hoping it would have the brick and ivy appearance. I was really hoping they were going to try to tie that into the appearance of the old furniture factory buildings in GR. 

2 hours ago, arcturus said:

s the plan to incorporate the stadium into an extension .. with easy access..  to the bar/restaurant district already in place on Bridge? 

What does this mean?  The Bridge St district is right there.

1 hour ago, RiversideGR said:

I was really hoping they were going to try to tie that into the appearance of the old furniture factory buildings in GR. 

It does match the character of much of the West Side.  There is metal siding all over the West Side on newer buildings.

33 minutes ago, whitemice said:

It does match the character of much of the West Side.  There is metal siding all over the West Side on newer buildings.

All over the city at this point.  Strikes me as lazy and uncreative to be frank.  It's gonna look like three designers with a limited repertoire designed everything for a decade by the time this fad is done.  (more than a decade--when did the UICA building go up?)

It's fine and all.  At least it isn't like the generic stadiums we have out there.

Not a fan of the Mt. Vernon/Pearl corner. Rather see that built-out and not grass, though.  That intersection has been a bit too car focused, and makes it a pain for pedestrians, and that look just looks like a setback from the street instead of an integration up to it. Also dont like the Mt. Vernon facing side. It looks like it is going to be blank wall or slot windows with shield trees, further cementing it as just a off/on ramp speed-through with no street presence.

But that 's just me.

Edited by GR_Urbanist

My initial thoughts (after reading other's comments):

1. The plaza on Pearl/Ionia doesn't bother me as it's a nice little green space (I'd rather have a park than a giant concrete/brick paver plaza that never gets used). I think the earth berm is a little unusual, and hope it'll contain some digital signage that can advertise events, game day information, etc. Personally, I think more people will use the north entrance (even though the south entrance is supposed to be the main).

2. I'm a little concerned about the east building along Mt. Vernon. First, surprised it isn't tucked into the stadium a bit more (probably height of seating and a concourse running between seating and the east building?). Second, the renderings show a lot of mature trees, but it kind of looks like a big white warehouse building. Hope the finish is a bit nicer since we don't have lush tree cover for 7-8 months per year. 

3. The bike lane along Mt. Vernon is a nice addition. The exit off Mt. Vernon/Pearl is gnarly and I hope they do additional work to calm the traffic coming off US-131

4. I really like the top of the stadium/roof. Agree that the metal cladding on the building is a little "meh", and some brick and ivy would have looked fantastic, but I can live with it.

5. Concerned about expansion. I think it's a bit of a miss that they didn't put seating behind the goals. Looking at the south side (close to the Y), it looks like there will be NO room for growth. If they were to add on, would they vacate Blumrich and have to push the whole pitch north? It seems a bit land locked for additional growth (similar to how the Whitecaps has continued to grow and add seating throughout the years).

I had always envisioned they would have gone all the way to Douglas, so if seems like it's really tight for expansion on the ends?

6. Based on my assumption it would go all the way to douglas, it seems like there will still be a fairly decent sized parking lot directly north of the stadium?

As I look at this design (and the fact that they are building on surface lots), I can imagine this being a fairly fast build?

Joe

• Like 1