Apple Store Fact

BBascule

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

?

apple and microsoft use DRM to restrict what you can do with music you purchase. see my sig for why apple's DRM use is hypocritical.

while the RIAA probably wouldn't otherwise allow them to sell music without DRM, given that music downloads are a large portion of the RIAA income now, especially from itunes, apple is in a unique position to tell them that they are going to start selling only DRM-free music and basically force them to allow it or risk losing profit. apple already told them that they would not change their pricing on music, why not force them to lose DRM?

that's what those 2 pics are. i like the apple one as it makes great use of an already well-known image.

If one does not agree with a paticular TOS one is free to click the "I Do Not Agree" button and not use the service. Anyone charged with enforcing a TOS should understand that.

Still waiting to find out how you remove the DRM and still ensure the artists get paid and the intellectual property is protected.

If one does not agree with a paticular TOS one is free to click the "I Do Not Agree" button and not use the service. Anyone charged with enforcing a TOS should understand that.

Still waiting to find out how you remove the DRM and still ensure the artists get paid and the intellectual property is protected.

talk to emusic.com, they've been selling DRM-free mp3's for quite some time at a decent bargain as well (40 songs for $9.99/mo, 65 songs for $14.99/mo, 90 songs for $19.99/mo). the artists get paid, intellectual property is protected. they just don't have a lot (if any) mainstream artists because the major labels refuse to loosen their grip. they want full control over everything, which is why it took so long for a viable method of digital downloads to come, they don't have as much control over that distribution method as they do CD's. it's mostly the labels, not the artists. if you notice, more and more independent artists are becoming popular and not jumping over the a major label, because they really don't need them anymore for the publicity. the internet takes care of that and allows the artists much more freedom and they actually get what they're worth rather than less than 1% of what they make through the major labels.

and don't get me started on what the artists get paid by the major labels. you buy a CD for about $15-18. the artist gets less than $1 from the sale of that CD. they make less than a penny on the sale of an itunes song.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Any of the "free with contract" LG or Samsung phones are pretty good at that. I always felt the same way until work issued me a blackberry. Gmail, maps, and the ability to find recipes while I am in the Supermarket = AWESOME.

Archived