Apple Store Fact

BBascule

found my links...

Why Apple is to blame for iTunes DRM (boingboing.net)

Apple's hypocritical slam against French DRM-interop law (boingboing.net)

defective by design

The music industry is not going to allow Apple or anyone else to let people download DRM free music. Hell, they are tying to add DRM to CDs.

and that DRM is resulting in class action lawsuits that the music industry is losing.

the music industry will cave in if they realize that their customers have them by their wallets. that'll happen if apple says "no DRM". apple successfully told htem "no price changes", why not try for "no DRM"?

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm all for getting rid of DRM, but I'm also all for artists getting paid, and I'm not sure how you do that without DRM. I can't find anything on the Defective By Design site that suggests how the artists will be paid. If people want to put stuff out there for free, such as the open source community does, more power to them, I love open source software. But I don't know how a musician eats under that structure.

The 10,000 songs means that Apple wants you to steal argument is bogus, I certainly have 60GB worth of media (music alone, not to mention video, photos, contacts, calendars...) that is legally aquired to put on my iPod. I worried that 60GB wouldn't be enough, I should have held out for the 80GB version.

The people are going to steal anyway, so Apple should just let them arguement is also bogus. Should all law enforcement stop because people are going to commit crimes anyway?

As soon as someone comes up with a structure that removes restrictions, but allows the artists to get paid, I'm all for it. Apple could use their muscle to try to get the industry to cave, but I don't think Apple wants to fight that fight, or should. They have too much to gain/lose, and are too much part of it all. Someone else has to fight the fight and create the out that Apple (and the others) need if they want to go for the option.

I'm all for getting rid of DRM, but I'm also all for artists getting paid, and I'm not sure how you do that without DRM. I can't find anything on the Defective By Design site that suggests how the artists will be paid. If people want to put stuff out there for free, such as the open source community does, more power to them, I love open source software. But I don't know how a musician eats under that structure.

The 10,000 songs means that Apple wants you to steal argument is bogus, I certainly have 60GB worth of media (music alone, not to mention video, photos, contacts, calendars...) that is legally aquired to put on my iPod. I worried that 60GB wouldn't be enough, I should have held out for the 80GB version.

The people are going to steal anyway, so Apple should just let them arguement is also bogus. Should all law enforcement stop because people are going to commit crimes anyway?

As soon as someone comes up with a structure that removes restrictions, but allows the artists to get paid, I'm all for it. Apple could use their muscle to try to get the industry to cave, but I don't think Apple wants to fight that fight, or should. They have too much to gain/lose, and are too much part of it all. Someone else has to fight the fight and create the out that Apple (and the others) need if they want to go for the option.

the only way to remove restrictions and allow the artists to get paid fairly is to completely avoid the music industry altogether, which means boycotting RIAA record labels.

DRM does not allow for fair use, which includes making copies for personal use.

Yes, well, as a moderator here, I wasn't going to post that, but yes, I have stripped the DRM from all my iTunes music for my personal use.

Its totally within your rights as long as its for personal use. I havent found a re-ripped file to be of any poorer sound quality than the initial 128k aac files that they are selling you in the first place. If you need better quality you should be ripping using a lossless codec from the initial CD. Or as you said - Viva la Vinyl!

Its totally within your rights as long as its for personal use. I havent found a re-ripped file to be of any poorer sound quality than the initial 128k aac files that they are selling you in the first place. If you need better quality you should be ripping using a lossless codec from the initial CD. Or as you said - Viva la Vinyl!

compressing a file ripped from an already compressed file reduces the sound quality when using a lossy compression scheme. i've noticed it. you also slightly reduce the quality when you make a copy of a CD. EAC doesn't have 100% perfection.

i wish the industry would put some of their R&D money into a lossless compression scheme that has file sizes similar to mp3, aac, or ogg. the current lossless compression schemes (shn and flac) are pretty big files in comparison.

US State Dept to Europe: Apple's DRM is off-limits

This is a good example of why apple is bad. it goes on to explain how apple forces DRM on artists who wish not to have DRM on their music. it also explains how apple is threatening companies with lawsuits who use technology that will play their DRM's songs on their mp3 players.

apple's a good company? hardly. sounds like they're no better than the music industry.

i have used both apples and PCs and love them both. What i don't love is the price of Apple computers and equipment. I also don't love that between me, my husband and my sister, we've been through 5 iPods. We're not particularly hard on them but they break pretty easily. for something that costs about $350 bucks, i expect it to last longer than a year. But i'm so addicted to the iTunes music store that i feel like i'm kind of stuck with the iPod platform.

If you configure a Mac and a PC, say a Dell, the same way, the Mac usually very competitive in price. The problem with Macs is that Apple doesn't provide as much flexibility as other manufacturers.

My wife and I have gone through 7 iPods (2 1st gens, 2 3rd gens, 1 shuffle, and 2 nanos) and that's because we've outgrown them and had to upgrade not because any of them have broken. That said, tiny personal electronics with moving parts are fragile. If you're having trouble with them breaking, get a nano (no moving parts, and the new 8GB is 3GB larger and $150 cheaper than my original 5GB iPod!).

Unexpected benefit of iPods: my nano and Nike+iPod kit has gotten me out and running. The kit in combination with the Nike website is the best multiplayer online game of the year! Running is actually fun now! Who knew? :D

compressing a file ripped from an already compressed file reduces the sound quality when using a lossy compression scheme. i've noticed it. you also slightly reduce the quality when you make a copy of a CD. EAC doesn't have 100% perfection.

I listen to most of my music in my car during my commute. You know what reduces sound quality? An 18-wheeler passing on the right at 70 mph, that reduces sound quality.

Which is a wiseass remark, sure, but there's a point to be made there, as well. Unless you listen to your music in an (otherwise) extremely quiet environment with great acoustics on an excellent sound system while giving the music your full attention, chances are pretty good that ripped music will never present a problem.

I just got a 4G Nano. I might have made a mistake. Who knew I owned so much good music?

To me, the inner workings of Apple Inc, impending lawsuits, proprietary encoding battles and price points are all moot points.

The bottom line is that Apple makes hardware that looks and works absolutely beautifully. It's all about industrial design - great looking objects in great looking packages. The so-called "out-of-box experience."

The stores are no different.

The opening of our store keeps gaining national interest:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2006/9/20/5364

I just got back from the opening. There were hundreds of people there. I thought that since we are now 5 years in, the opening of a new Apple store wouldnt be such a big deal, but it was just crazy. The store is larger than I expected and very welll stocked. It is their new concept which includes a Genius Bar as well as a "Studio" where they will assist you with multimedia projects. Really good idea. We got there at 9:45 (store opened at 10:00) and it was prolly 10:45ish when we finally got through the doors. Other mall shoppers seemed very confused by the crowd. Me and the kids now all have matching Apple-Providence tshirts. fun.

I just got back from the opening. There were hundreds of people there. I thought that since we are now 5 years in, the opening of a new Apple store wouldnt be such a big deal, but it was just crazy. The store is larger than I expected and very welll stocked. It is their new concept which includes a Genius Bar as well as a "Studio" where they will assist you with multimedia projects. Really good idea. We got there at 9:45 (store opened at 10:00) and it was prolly 10:45ish when we finally got through the doors. Other mall shoppers seemed very confused by the crowd. Me and the kids now all have matching Apple-Providence tshirts. fun.

I walked through the mall with another UPer this morning and noticed the line. We had no real need to shop but were happy to see the buzz. We also wondered how many other UPer's were around.

On another note, we went up to the third floor and the view out of the winter garden or whatever they want to call it is really shaping up with the Waterplace towers and GTech finishing. And, I really like what GTech did along the "ground" (sub-Francis under the parking garage) pedestrian level. It will be interesting to see what actually goes in the building in those spots.

Archived