Apple Store Fact

BBascule

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The black one is $200 more than the white one and the only difference it has a slightly bigger hard drive! Go with the white one...

Anyway, back on topic, when the store opens in the mall Apple will have the full Intel lineup ready (except for the PowerMac). Consumers will have a lot of great choices. The new store should be rockin' on opening day!

Anyone got some inside info on when the store will open?

Anyone got some inside info on when the store will open?

I don't have any inside info...but the last report was late spring/early summer from the ProJo. Anyone been the mall recently and noticed anything besides the plywood covering the storefront?

Yahoo ranks Apple as the top innovative company in the world right now... I'm just curious of their global market share and if anyone knows how the company is thought of internationally. Just curious b/c innovation brings job and money.. and thankfully apple is here in Cali :)

Yahoo ranks Apple as the top innovative company in the world right now... I'm just curious of their global market share and if anyone knows how the company is thought of internationally. Just curious b/c innovation brings job and money.. and thankfully apple is here in Cali :)

their market share is something like 5%

I think Apple is thought of pretty highly internationally. I know Europe has Apple fanatics that are just as passionate as their American counterparts. And this was taken at the Tokyo Apple Store I believe, so it seems to do well in that market also.

their market share is something like 5%

And what is BMW's marketshare? Marketshare is not a good indicator of product quality or innovation. :)

Also, it's worth pointing out that marketshare is a crummy proxy for install base. Garner and other analysts only use marketshare because install base is too hard to measure. Marketshare only predicts install base if the product lifespan is the same. Here's an hypothetical example to illustrate the point - let's pretend the lifespan of a dell is 3 yrs and a mac is 5 yrs:

Year 0: A school district buys 60 Dells and 40 Macs - marketshare is 60%/40%; install base is 60%/40%

Year 1&2: No purchases

Year 3: Buy 60 Dells and 0 Macs - marketshare is now 75%/25% in favor of the dells, but install base is still 60%/40%

Year 4: No purchases

Year 5: Buy 0 Dells and 40 Macs - marketshare is now 60%/40%, and install base is 60%/40%

Year 6: Buy 60 Dells and 0 Macs - marketshare is now 75%/25% in favor of the dells, but install base is still 60%/40%

Year 7&8: No purchases

It's a stupid little example, but it shows that marketshare is only a valid measure of install base if you assume similar product lifespans. Otherwise, the product than needs to be replaced more often has an inflated marketshare compared to install base.

...the product than needs to be replaced more often has an inflated marketshare compared to install base.

Great point... Also, people are more fanactic about Apple as well precisely because it is not as ubiquitous as Microsoft and Dells. It is seen as the renegade move to buy a Mac. If Apple had too much market share, maybe people would realize how much better they are than PCs, but people who think they are rebels might lose interest. Its like when a band goes mainstream and all the diehard fans are disappointed because no one cares when they brag that they saw them in a crapty little club close up enough to get spit on.

The likelihood of Apple bringing jobs to this area are slim, save for the people who work at their stores, but it does offer an opportunity for Mac Gearheads to become local Tech Support for the newbie Mac users.

the only reason apple has a greater lifespan is because the company has full control over the hardware. it's not an open system. because of that, the machines don't get hardware upgrades as often as regular PC's. apple having a greater lifespan has nothing to do with quality of the hardware or design. in fact, that's a myth about apple. you can get just as quality hardware from companies like HP and, yes, even dell (i just don't like dell) so long as you stay away from the consumer line and stick with their business line (which, for the prices, is really most comparable to apple anyways, considering the hardware is exactly the same now). the fact of the matter is that almost any regular PC will last just as long and run the same programs you could 5-7 years ago (except high end games, which generally aren't written for macs anyways), much in the same way apple works. the hardware doesn't degrade any quicker, unless you have power problems in the building it's plugged into or you literally physically beat the crap out of the machine. apples are susceptible to the same physical limitations that a regular PC is. and i don't want to hear about the virus problems of windows. there are plenty of flaws in OSX that can be taken advantage of. it's just not worth it to the virus writers and hackers/crackers to bother with because the effects won't be as widespread. i predict that in the next 5 years we will see a lot more viruses written for the mac.

note: i'm not a windows fanboy, i'm just trying to present a balanced view here. the macs are nice machines, just a bit expensive considering the same exact hardware can be found in a regular PC (which made me think they might significantly lower their prices when they moved to intel, but that didn't happen).

• 2 months later...

the new NYC flagship store is pretty ding dang cool

http://www.apple.com/retail/fifthavenue/

The outstanding Inga Saffron (architecture critic for the Philadelphia Inquirer) briefly reviews the quite amazing looking new NYC Apple Store on her blog Skyline Online.

While you're there, scroll down a bit to see her skeptical views of the cries of "Gentrification!" by affordable housing advocates in Philadelphia (her argument could also apply to Providence) in the entry "Awaiting the Perils of Urban Success."

- Garris

That store is just awesome. What's up with the Apple Store in PPlace? I thought it was rumored to be ready by June. I mean, as noted in the article, Apple Stores are incredibly minimalist so it's not like there's months of renovations needed in such a small space..

...waiting until it opens before getting my MacBook...

That store is just awesome. What's up with the Apple Store in PPlace? I thought it was rumored to be ready by June. I mean, as noted in the article, Apple Stores are incredibly minimalist so it's not like there's months of renovations needed in such a small space..

...waiting until it opens before getting my MacBook...

the place before it was not minimalist... and it had a huge ugly green facade.

opening in the fall now.. so says pplace's website

I'm a bit disappointed in the progress being made in opening this store up. I was in PPM this past Saturday before WaterFire and tried to look in asbest I could. The ceilings are not in, and the walls looked like bare plasterboard. This should (and could) have been opened earlier.

I'm a bit disappointed in the progress being made in opening this store up. I was in PPM this past Saturday before WaterFire and tried to look in asbest I could. The ceilings are not in, and the walls looked like bare plasterboard. This should (and could) have been opened earlier.

i have a feeling they had to tear out a lot more than they thought originally...

i have a feeling they had to tear out a lot more than they thought originally...

Maybe they are going deeper, a lot of stores don't reach the outside wall, it'd be nice if the store reached the windows overlooking the Station Park.

Maybe they are going deeper, a lot of stores don't reach the outside wall, it'd be nice if the store reached the windows overlooking the Station Park.

You know....that's also one of my big gripes with the mall from Station Park. People should not be viewing duct work and sheet rock through the windows. If the store is not built to the window, ( which I still don't understand why they all don't or be made to)some sort of decoration, white opaque window, etc. should b put in its place. It makes the mall ugly and appear to be empty....which is far from the truth.

An OT reply:

You know....that's also one of my big gripes with the mall from Station Park. People should not be viewing duct work and sheet rock through the windows. If the store is not built to the window, ( which I still don't understand why they all don't or be made to)some sort of decoration, white opaque window, etc. should b put in its place. It makes the mall ugly and appear to be empty....which is far from the truth.

Those fake windows always bothered me about the mall. It'd be nice if stores could incorporate the windows in their layouts, but I guess the spaces are used for storage and shelf space takes precedence over aesthetics.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived