Apple Store Fact

BBascule

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I walked through the mall with another UPer this morning and noticed the line. We had no real need to shop but were happy to see the buzz. We also wondered how many other UPer's were around.

I was wondering the same thing. We prolly should have planned to meet or something. I was the dork with the "I dance Country at the Broken Spoke" shirt and 2 small kids in tow.

Sorry I missed the opening this morning but I figured it would be a zoo. I'm planning on checking it out next week.

Evidently, the new design elements that was quoted in news reports are the wider blonde wood tables and focus on iPods and iPod paraphenalia - is that what you all found? Personally, I was hoping they'd figured out a way to incorporate a mini version of the glass cube from the 5th Avenue store :D .

I was the dork with the "I dance Country at the Broken Spoke" shirt and 2 small kids in tow.

Before moving to Providence, I lived in Texas for 13 years (Houston, then Ft. Worth) and went to Austin regularly but never made it to the Broken Spoke. Did you live in TX or just visit?

Sorry I missed the opening this morning but I figured it would be a zoo. I'm planning on checking it out next week.

Evidently, the new design elements that was quoted in news reports are the wider blonde wood tables and focus on iPods and iPod paraphenalia - is that what you all found? Personally, I was hoping they'd figured out a way to incorporate a mini version of the glass cube from the 5th Avenue store :D .

Before moving to Providence, I lived in Texas for 13 years (Houston, then Ft. Worth) and went to Austin regularly but never made it to the Broken Spoke. Did you live in TX or just visit?

Actually I have never been to Austin. I found the shirt in my dad's closet when he passed away and I thought it was neat.

Those design elements are indeed what I found. There is a definite slant towards the ipod end of things.

to go back to the whole DRM issue... a quote by steve jobs...

"If you legally aquire music, you need to have the right to manage it on every device you own" - Steve Jobs

funny how apple does not allow you to play purchased songs on every device you own...

Apple lets you burn your songs to CD from which you can then rip to MP3, a format that moves easily to most other devices (Sony excluded).

I also despise DRM, but you need to take out your frustrations on the the companies that don't care about their customers at all.

Apple at least tries to look out for consumers.

BTW- xine and I were at the opening. We didn't show up until after 10, but we still got t-shirts.

Apple lets you burn your songs to CD from which you can then rip to MP3, a format that moves easily to most other devices (Sony excluded).

I also despise DRM, but you need to take out your frustrations on the the companies that don't care about their customers at all.

Apple at least tries to look out for consumers.

BTW- xine and I were at the opening. We didn't show up until after 10, but we still got t-shirts.

i'm not happy with any DRM, not just apple. i jsut don't like listening to people say apple is wonderful when they're really just as bad as microsoft, and steve jobs was quite hypocritical when he said the french law that would force DRM makers to allow their files to play on any media device was favoring piracy, as i proved in that quote of his from 2002.

looking out for your customers does not mean degrading the quality of the file by having to burn it to a CD and then further degrading it by ripping it from that CD. looking out for your customers means allowing them to play the songs on any device, just as steve jobs said you should be able to do.

as for that microsoft thing, i read somewhere that it's actually not as bad as it seems. i think i read that on slashdot and they generally hate MS. the main issue is that you just don't rip CD's with windows media player. the other issue is that you don't buy songs protected by DRM. so until someone starts distributing mainstream music without DRM, i buy the CD's and will rip them when necessary (of course i usually only listen to CD's anyways because teh sound quality is better and i don't have a need for an mp3 player).

2006-09-23-050049.jpg

Hey Liam, can I ask where you found that pic? (I would have PMed you, but I can't? Low post count?)

That site is run by some good friends of mine, they were first in line for the opening. Getting there at 4:45am will do that, I guess.

There's a good selection of pics I found on Flickr as I still haven't gone to the mall to see the store. Here's four users I found that put up some pics from the Grand Opening. Maybe some of you will find yourselves in the crowd:

http://flickr.com/photos/bdepardo/

http://flickr.com/photos/awhiteflame/

http://flickr.com/photos/e-mma/

http://flickr.com/photos/69468790@N00/

What really sticks out is the broad demographic Apple attracts. Young kids. Seniors. Mothers, Fathers, teens. All waiting in line for the same store. You won't see that for many other retail establishments.

how many mothers and fathers were only there because their kids wanted to go?

how many mothers and fathers were only there because their kids wanted to go?

A fair amount I'm sure, but I was referring to some of the women holding infants/toddlers. Of course they could've gotten sucked into the 'reality distortion field' earlier than most.

the mall actually let people spend the night inside?

I guess so. My boyfriend's brother was taking photos and the first people in line, who he photographed, said they were there at 2:00am. I think they came from CT.

You shoulda worn a striped white and red shirt.

I used to have one, but it's long gone.

Here's some more pics from the opening: v1beta

I guess so. My boyfriend's brother was taking photos and the first people in line, who he photographed, said they were there at 2:00am. I think they came from CT.

And, like the "First!" comment on every blog post these days, my friends from above would like to point out that they, and not those Connecticutians, were in fact first in line, as can be seen here :shades:

Mac people... :P

Archived