Old Nashville Treasures

Baronakim

3 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Gonna throw this one out there b/c I NEVER see/hear anything about this one. I dated a girl whose parents lived here in the late 1980s and I remember thinking how unique it was (and Wessex Towers). But I've always liked the irregular windows on its facade. And it's all brick. I recall walking into the lobby and thinking how cool the brick was.  Anyway, I 'give' you.... Rokeby (which BTW was the name of the plantation where Adelicia Acklen lived in the mid-1850s. 

Rokeby Condominiums 

Designed by Barber McMurry....https://bma1915.com/ 

The 12-story Rokeby Condominiums tower opened to acclaim when it was completed in 1976, and today is still considered one of its most prestigious residential developments. 

The building has been selected as one of the city’s most notable landmarks.

BarberMcMurry's flexible design allowed the developer to market the widest possible range of condominium unit sizes. Amenities include fireplaces, swimming pool, sundecks, tea room, secured garage parking, and extensive landscaping. The Rokeby provides its residents and visitors a functional and attractive facility which provides the convenience of more expensive condominiums.

Image result for Rokeby nashville, tn

Image result for Rokeby nashville, tn

I lived in Wessex Towers for a few years, and loved the building. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Baronakim said:

Chris, since you posted this great memory of the old Maxwell House Hotel, I am making it the next focus of my Old Treasures reports.

THE MAXWELL HOUSE HOTEL  1859-1961

For over 100 years, The Maxwell House Hotel stood on the northeast corner of 4th Avenue N., and Church Street in the center of Nashville serving as the heart of the city's social and political life.   Nashville's John Overton's son, Colonel John Overton Jr. built the hotel, which he named  after the father of his wife, Harriet Maxwell Overton.  Construction began in 1859 by slave laborers on a massive hotel designed by Isaiah Rogers.    Only partially completed at the outbreak of the Civil war, the unfinished brick building served as as a barracks for the occupying Union garrison  and both a prison and hospital for captured Confederates as Nashville was an occupied city from 1862 to the end of the war.   Several Confederate prisoners were killed when a staircase collapsed in September of 1863.  There is also a tale murder of a Southern belle and a Union guard during the war, killed in a jealous rage by his brother, also a guard, who was subsequently killed by the collapse of the staircase while transporting the bodies.  Stories of them haunting the hotel was a popular tale.  In 1866, though the hotel rooms of the building were unfinished, the public areas were in use and  Nathan Bedford Forrest , the famous Confederate calvary General was inducted into the newly formed secret vigilante society the Ku Klux Klan.  During the recovery of the Union occupation, The KKK held its first national meeting  at the hotel in April 1867.  Nashville residents were dubious of the completion of the building as a grand hotel and dubbed it "Overton's Folly"; however, with funding from his father's financial wealth, he completed construction and opened the hotel on September 22, 1869..

Built in what became known as the Men's Quarter of the city with the entrance facing on 4th Avenue N., the brick five story , 240 room hotel cost over $250,000, a tremendous sum,  with innovations such as steam heat, gas lighting and bathrooms on each floor.  As 4th Avenue was developing a notorious reputation for men's entertainment, a separate entrance was on Church Street to protect the reputation of lady guests.  The main entrance opening into the two story lobby had  eight Corinthian columns and led to an elegant lobby  featuring mahogany cabinetry, brass fixtures, gilded mirrors, and multi-tiered chandeliers.  A grand stair led to a ballustraded mezzanine up to the dining room.   Off the lobby, were ladies’ and men’s parlors, billiard rooms, barrooms, shaving saloons and the concierge desk.   The dining room featured  typical fare of the time like venison, bear, mallard duck, pheasant, quail and even possum though elaborately prepared and served in an elegant and spacious dining room which also served as a ballroom.  The hotel became famous eventually for its Christmas Feast through the 1890s renowned for  such delicacies as Calf’s Head, Leg of Cumberland Black Bear, and Tennessee Opossum.   Meals were included with the room at four dollars per day.   George R. Calhoun, the brother of silversmith William Henry Calhoun, managed a jewelry store in the hotel and proudly displayed wares in the a lobby showcase.

From its opening through the First World War among the famous hotel guests were Jane Addams, Sarah Bernhardt, William Jennings Bryan, Enrico Caruso, "Buffalo Bill" Cody, Thomas Edison, Henry Ford, Annie Oakley, William Sydney Porter (O. Henry), General Tom Thumb, Cornelius Vanderbilt, George Westinghouse, and Presidents Andrew Johnson, Rutherford B. Hayes, Grover Cleveland, Theodore Roosevelt, William McKinley, William Howard Taft, and Woodrow Wilson.

Joel Cheek  named his blended coffee that was served in its restaurant for the hotel, creating Maxwell House Coffee.  President Theodore Roosevelt reportedly commented that the cup of coffee he drank was "good to the last drop".  The statement was used for decades as the advertising slogan for Maxwell House coffee, which was served at and named after the hotel.

On June 4, 1958, the Maxwell House suffered the first of two fires.  There were no reported injuries and damage was over $50,000.   The second blaze on Christmas day of 1961 completely gutted the hotel to a ruined shell which was demoli

11337007_10153400747123734_2886096446936653262_o.jpg

11423661_10153400808178734_8786401775472574436_o.jpg

Baron, do you remember the several years when that site was vacant? I wonder what sort of speculation was going on... and did the city leaders just believe it was one of the many dominoes of the inner city that were falling. I look at that photo and think it must have been depressing to see and walk past everyday.  Was the cause of that fire ever determined/made public?  Ever since I learned of the Maxwell House, I've dreamed of one going up on the site at the parking lot at Church (between First & Second).  Maybe a bit larger at 7-8 stories, but the same style and balconies on the side overlooking the Cumberland. 

Edited by MLBrumby

2 hours ago, Baronakim said:

Chris, since you posted this great memory of the old Maxwell House Hotel, I am making it the next focus of my Old Treasures reports.

THE MAXWELL HOUSE HOTEL  1859-1961

For over 100 years, The Maxwell House Hotel stood on the northeast corner of 4th Avenue N., and Church Street in the center of Nashville serving as the heart of the city's social and political life.   Nashville's John Overton's son, Colonel John Overton Jr. built the hotel, which he named  after the father of his wife, Harriet Maxwell Overton.  Construction began in 1859 by slave laborers on a massive hotel designed by Isaiah Rogers.    Only partially completed at the outbreak of the Civil war, the unfinished brick building served as as a barracks for the occupying Union garrison  and both a prison and hospital for captured Confederates as Nashville was an occupied city from 1862 to the end of the war.   Several Confederate prisoners were killed when a staircase collapsed in September of 1863.  There is also a tale murder of a Southern belle and a Union guard during the war, killed in a jealous rage by his brother, also a guard, who was subsequently killed by the collapse of the staircase while transporting the bodies.  Stories of them haunting the hotel was a popular tale.  In 1866, though the hotel rooms of the building were unfinished, the public areas were in use and  Nathan Bedford Forrest , the famous Confederate calvary General was inducted into the newly formed secret vigilante society the Ku Klux Klan.  During the recovery of the Union occupation, The KKK held its first national meeting  at the hotel in April 1867.  Nashville residents were dubious of the completion of the building as a grand hotel and dubbed it "Overton's Folly"; however, with funding from his father's financial wealth, he completed construction and opened the hotel on September 22, 1869..

Built in what became known as the Men's Quarter of the city with the entrance facing on 4th Avenue N., the brick five story , 240 room hotel cost over $250,000, a tremendous sum,  with innovations such as steam heat, gas lighting and bathrooms on each floor.  As 4th Avenue was developing a notorious reputation for men's entertainment, a separate entrance was on Church Street to protect the reputation of lady guests.  The main entrance opening into the two story lobby had  eight Corinthian columns and led to an elegant lobby  featuring mahogany cabinetry, brass fixtures, gilded mirrors, and multi-tiered chandeliers.  A grand stair led to a ballustraded mezzanine up to the dining room.   Off the lobby, were ladies’ and men’s parlors, billiard rooms, barrooms, shaving saloons and the concierge desk.   The dining room featured  typical fare of the time like venison, bear, mallard duck, pheasant, quail and even possum though elaborately prepared and served in an elegant and spacious dining room which also served as a ballroom.  The hotel became famous eventually for its Christmas Feast through the 1890s renowned for  such delicacies as Calf’s Head, Leg of Cumberland Black Bear, and Tennessee Opossum.   Meals were included with the room at four dollars per day.   George R. Calhoun, the brother of silversmith William Henry Calhoun, managed a jewelry store in the hotel and proudly displayed wares in the a lobby showcase.

From its opening through the First World War among the famous hotel guests were Jane Addams, Sarah Bernhardt, William Jennings Bryan, Enrico Caruso, "Buffalo Bill" Cody, Thomas Edison, Henry Ford, Annie Oakley, William Sydney Porter (O. Henry), General Tom Thumb, Cornelius Vanderbilt, George Westinghouse, and Presidents Andrew Johnson, Rutherford B. Hayes, Grover Cleveland, Theodore Roosevelt, William McKinley, William Howard Taft, and Woodrow Wilson.

Joel Cheek  named his blended coffee that was served in its restaurant for the hotel, creating Maxwell House Coffee.  President Theodore Roosevelt reportedly commented that the cup of coffee he drank was "good to the last drop".  The statement was used for decades as the advertising slogan for Maxwell House coffee, which was served at and named after the hotel.

On June 4, 1958, the Maxwell House suffered the first of two fires.  There were no reported injuries and damage was over $50,000.   The second blaze on Christmas day of 1961 completely gutted the hotel to a ruined shell which was demolished in 1962.

maxwell.jpg

11000831_10153112579278734_3801664579031867659_o.jpg

29520_395524123733_203490_n.jpg

lobby.jpg

maxlob.jpg

maxmez.jpg

maxwellhouse.png

calhounjewlerycentennialexhibititmaxwellhousehotel1.jpg

banquetcumberlandmasoniclodgejune1912maxwellhousehotel1.jpg

maxwellhousehotel.png

29066614_10156279354483734_592736432087367680_o.jpg

10383905_10153081255733734_712848304002957967_n.jpg

15506[1].jpg

maxentry.jpg

MAXWELL_HOUSE_POD.jpg

Firefighters-at-the-Maxwell-House-Hotel-1961.jpg

11337007_10153400747123734_2886096446936653262_o.jpg

11423661_10153400808178734_8786401775472574436_o.jpg

Wow. What a loss 

14 hours ago, Baronakim said:

1910churchlebecks.jpg1454908_629938010434125_1245303484_n.jpg

What a treat indeed! Thanks for the quick trip back in time, m'lord. (A hat-tip to the castle talk in the other thread.)

I think it would be such a neat experiment for someone to capture a "today" equivalent of all of these streetscape photos. While I have spent plenty of time on today's Church St. and surely have stood in just about every location pictured, I'm still having trouble remembering each location and what stands there now. These bygone times would seem much more real with some real-life experiences to back them up!

• Like 1

It's fascinating to see how Church Street was "the" main street in downtown Nashville for much of the 1900s. How did Church Street rise to that prominence rather than Broadway in that era, considering Broadway seemed to have easier access and (probably) better access to parking?  Was that intentional planning by the city or just a gradual progression?

Good question. But I think it might have to do with the fact that Broadway was a wider street and therefore had more wholesale and retail for large products with easier access to the train depot and river before that (there used to be a freight dock at the river). Plus, it's closer to the historic industrial section of downtown, what is now Sobro.  Conversely, Church St. is closer to the traditional 'white collar' offices and older hotels at the time. Plus I believe Church was easier to access from East as well as West sides of town. Just guessing there, but I always find it fascinating how cities evolve. 

It's fascinating to see how Church Street was "the" main street in downtown Nashville for much of the 1900s. How did Church Street rise to that prominence rather than Broadway in that era, considering Broadway seemed to have easier access and (probably) better access to parking?  Was that intentional planning by the city or just a gradual progression?

Church Street was originally Spring Street and the center E-W street in the original city plan. (Broadway was the southern edge in that same plan.) Following the city plan the center of downtown was Church for many years and most of the commercial buildings originally sprung up around it. The center has gravitated over time.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1