Your Perception of Richmond- SMALL, MEDIUM, LARGE ?

DalWill

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, flaneur said:

"I miss RVA" nailed it above. I've always described Richmond as what you'd get if Philly, Baltimore, and Charleston had a threesome that produced an offspring.

Re: that earlier list of banal cities, I would most certainly take Cincinnati off. I went for work before the pandemic and the seriously dense, rich, and unique urban fabric blew my mind. Over the Rhine, the amazing Roebling Bridge (Brooklyn's antecedent), quirky Covington KY just across from downtown (a la our Manchester), and a host of other urban neighborhoods really impressed me. I had a similar feeling when I went to Buffalo.  Meanwhile I found Austin and Nashville to be highly over-rated.  The places that developed and built out in a much earlier era, and prospered for so long before deindustrialization, offer so much that many of our booming, newer growth cities do not from an urbanism perspective (though I wish they had more jobs to get people back). Richmond really sits at a prime intersection in that it benefits from its old growth bones, but is still very much a player in the modern economy and will only get more and more in the game given recent trends, location benefits, and more. 

1.) GREAT analogy! I couldn't agree more. Very well said (and humorous, too!)

2.) AMEN! Preach it, brother! That's the thing that keeps my hope alive regarding RVA taking steps to get to the next level. I only wish I was 35 years younger so I'd presumably have an entire lifetime ahead of me to see what RVA does over the next 40 or 50 years. She has SO much potential to get seriously big, seriously bold and seriously well known. If/when she (finally) cracks through and reaches Tier-1 status - wow - we can only dream of how amazing that will be. I'm very excited about what the future holds for Richmond. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Okay ... WHO let this troll in?

"Be the best Richmond you can be" ... SERIOUSLY???  

All the unsolicited bragging and boasting crap belongs on the Charlotte site. Jesus... That's a LOT of nerve to come onto the RVA UP site with all this condescending and downtalking BS about RVA and all the Charlotte-Raleigh chest-thumping.

Tell ya what... keep your lunch - and I'll add 25 cents to the bill - maybe use it to buy some class.

Just unreal.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

Not gonna lie, we look incredibly Napoleonic when we rant and rave about Raleigh and Charlotte and the like. I keep quiet but think it's not a good look. We're growing and doing well so why constantly compare and complain

Agreed. I've been quite vocal at how little I care about those two cities and how I (and most of RVA honestly) don't want to be anything like those two cities. We like who we are. If I wanted to live like Raleigh or Charlotte I would move to Raleigh or Charlotte!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Icetera said:

I am generally in agreement with you, but not on this one.  KJHburg's response was appropriate and well done.

@Icetera- respectfully, you'll note that I'm not debating facts with him. I don't find fault with some of his analysis -- in fact, I agree that parts of the response are factually correct in terms of discussing some of the logistical problems RVA faces re: proximity to NOVA, their huge airports, etc. But the commentary itself? With all the bragging and attitude and downtalking to us about RVA? No, sir... it's  just a bunch of horse pucky chest-thumping and quite frankly is very insulting to RVA. I cannot accept it, nor will I.

"Be the best RVA you can be" -- can you GET any more insulting? 

That's basically like, say, Michael Jordan telling an up-and-coming basketball player - "be the best Joe Schmoe you can be" - and carries a VERY nasty hidden message - "because you'll never be me." THAT is what's lurking behind "be the best Richmond you can be" - the message of "because you'll NEVER be as great as we (Charlotte and Raleigh) are." Whether or not it was intended, it comes across that way. And it doesn't belong on here.

"Be the best mid-sized city" -- is basically saying to us - "because you have no chance to do anything beyond that - you can't -- and won't ever -- be us (Charlotte/Raleigh)."

WHY would someone come onto the RVA site and say something like that? Perhaps -- since I've been in Chicago for the past 20-plus years -- I should go on the Charlotte site and say - "You think you're all that - but you'll NEVER be where we (Chicago) are. You're a wide spot in the road compared to the Windy City. Get over it. Be the best 'boom town' you can be - because you'll never EVER challenge the Big 3 (New York, L.A., Chicago)... not in this lifetime... not in your kids' lifetime... not in your grandkids' lifetime... not in any lifetime."

How well do you think that would be received by folks on the Charlotte UP site? Even if I said it behind a cloak of "respectfulness" and wasn't so blunt about it?

As Tony Soprano once said - "Those who want respect... give respect."  Regardless whether or not his post contained factually correct analysis about RVA's situation, it was about as disrespectful toward us and toward RVA as it can get - only it was just couched in 'friendly' - 'smiley' analytical turns of phrases.

I will not apologize for standing up for RVA's honor. 

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, eandslee said:

Okay, I Miss RVA, it’s going to be alright. KJHBurg is a friend - he’s just merely defending what people on here have said about Charlotte and Raleigh not having any culture/history, etc. (which has been mentioned many times on this board).  I would venture to say that folks who say this are completely wrong and KJHBurg is just confirming that these cities do have culture and if you don’t believe it, come down for a visit.  Admittedly, he’s not wrong.  I don’t take offense. Richmond could do a lot better - it has so much potential and it’s frustrating that it doesn’t always shoot for the moon.  Richmond has had a lot of misfortunes, that if one little thing had happened differently, then Richmond would have been the economic center of the South (think banks, the airport, etc.). Unfortunately, those things didn’t happen and we are where we are. We cannot do anything more than just improve on our future and try not to let any more misfortunes happen again that would stunt Richmond’s growth or it’s potential.  I’d say Richmond’s future is bright and more and more people and companies are taking notice.  Richmond might end up late to the ball, but in the end I think we’ll be the ones dancing in the spotlight eventually!

I understand defending Charlotte's/Raleigh regarding their culture/history.  But if he's going to come on here to brag about his hometown, he can leave all the BS rhetoric of "be the best Richmond you can be" back at the state line. I have no problem with vigorously defending one's home town. But are any of us going onto the Charlotte site and dog-dragging their relative "lack" of culture? I somehow doubt it, and if any of us are, shame on us! I don't go on the Charlotte or Raleigh sites simply because I have absolutely no interest in what either city is doing. I couldn't care less about either of them, tbqh. My focus is RVA. Period.

I'm perfectly fine with his thoughtful analysis on specific points (and it's good to get an outside perspective simply because it's not as jaded as we might be with our rose-colored glasses on).

I'm perfectly fine with him defending his home town.

i'm not fine with us & RVA being talked down to.

And again - I will not apologize for standing up for RVA's honor.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Confused 2

7 hours ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

Not gonna lie, we look incredibly Napoleonic when we rant and rave about Raleigh and Charlotte and the like. I keep quiet but think it's not a good look. We're growing and doing well so why constantly compare and complain

I agree with this sentiment 100%. 

We are growing and doing well. Let's keep the momentum going.

5 minutes ago, Shakman said:

When someone says "be the best you can be", I take that as complement.  I see that person respecting my individuality as A person.  This is how I interpret KJHburg's comment.  Forumer is respecting Richmond as a city with its own character.  Telling me to be or even compare myself to someone else is saying that I'm not good enough to be me; therefore be like this person instead.  We RVA folks are doing that to ourselves when we get upset that Charlotte's blankey is warmer than ours.  Envy's accomplishment is more envy.  Instead, learning from the past is how we gather our strength towards a better future. 

As I have said before Richmond is Richmond and Charlotte is Charlotte.  Why do we want to be like any other city.  Let Richmond be unique, grow, prosper and be the best Richmond can be.

That's saying it a LOT better. And I agree. Let Richmond be the best (city/metro) she can be. That takes off any/all qualifiers & delimiters -- which is much preferable to how it was stated previously.

Thank you, @Shakman-- you said it well.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Downtowner said:

Man I miss Burt so much just think of what he would say nowadays about all of the development. Me and wrldcoupe and eandslee as well as burt were the originals of the Richmond forum on up and to think of what Burt would say would be amazing to hear. He would always mention how he would bet a quarter on something when we talked about things on here. He also really loved posting on the Richmond dining out scene which was one of our biggest threads until he passed. He would always be posting about restaurants and I always enjoyed reading about them. He was truly a once in a lifetime treasure and he would always mention everything that not many of us knew about rva way way long ago. 

Every time I see a restaurant announcement I definitely think of Burt.  I think I remember when you first joined RCW so not sure why it took so long for me to switch over to UP.  What ever happened to TBurban?  I see he stopped updating RCW last December.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Icetera said:

Every time I see a restaurant announcement I definitely think of Burt.  I think I remember when you first joined RCW so not sure why it took so long for me to switch over to UP.  What ever happened to TBurban?  I see he stopped updating RCW last December.

not sure if you have him and Ryan_R mixed up but Ryan ran and operated rcw (richmondcitywatch) and tburban  who I talked to a lot on and off of here was the same age as me. He went to deep run for high school and then vcu for a while but last time I talked to him he was moving back to New York I know he was originally from there. Haven’t heard from either in ages. I was on rcw as well. I started really following development closely wh n riverside on the James was being proposed. I know before any of us ran this forum. There was a guy on up known as cotuit who ran the Richmond forum on up: weird things was he lived in Connecticut not sure what his connection with Richmond was but pretty much nobody was on here much until I and a few others started coming on here and then it really took off. There also a lot of other Richmond members who I don’t think post here anymore as well. 

Edited by Downtowner
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Downtowner said:

not sure if you have him and Ryan_R mixed up but Ryan ran and operated rcw (richmondcitywatch) and tburban  who I talked to a lot on and off of here was the same age as me. He went to deep run for high school and then vcu for a while but last time I talked to him he was moving back to New York I know he was originally from there. Haven’t heard from either in ages. I was on rcw as well. I started really following development closely wh n riverside on the James was being proposed. I know before any of us ran this forum. There was a guy on up known as cotuit who ran the Richmond forum on up: weird things was he lived in Connecticut not sure what his connection with Richmond was but pretty much nobody was on here much until I and a few others started coming on here and then it really took off. There also a lot of other Richmond members who I don’t think post here anymore as well. 

I am totally mixing them up since I do not recall Ryan ever being involved on UP.  Somehow I completely forgot about Cotuit as well, which is bad considering I am originally from CT.