Woodside Mill

gman430

• 1 month later...

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Greenville Paladin said:

I am looking forward to Woodside Mill being redeveloped for residences.  If the Woodside Avenue/Smythe Street corridor can be cleaned up from blight, the area can become positive again.

Welcome!

Just a question for everyone; is this the type project that you feel is indeed fixing up blighted and rough areas (which many seem to favor), or do you see this as an example of gentrification, which many seem to be against? 

Edited by distortedlogic

1 minute ago, distortedlogic said:

Welcome!

Just a question for everyone; is this the type project that you feel is indeed fixing up blighted and rough areas, or do you see this as an example of gentrification, which many seem to be against? 

Given my understanding of the crime that (at least used to) be prevalent in this immediate area, I personally don't lend this the label of gentrification. I'd call it a clean up. 

3 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

Welcome!

Just a question for everyone; is this the type project that you feel is indeed fixing up blighted and rough areas (which many seem to favor), or do you see this as an example of gentrification, which many seem to be against? 

Anything that turns a old run down mill that was home to probably drug dealers and homeless people into a new mixed use development is a win in my book. 

2 minutes ago, btoy said:

What is the difference? Gentrification has plenty of positives that in my opinion out weigh the negatives.

Not really sure myself, I guess that's why I'm asking. I just notice that many imply they see gentrification as a bad thing. However, I usually see people write about cleaning "blighted areas" as a good thing. Maybe it's just a UP distinction? Overall, I guess I see gentrification positives as outweighing the negatives as well; most areas that get gentrified seem to be pretty rough and unkempt. While I hate the idea of people being priced out of their homes and/or losing them,  how else can a city "clean up" areas that are often in such disrepair? 

16 hours ago, gman430 said:

Anything that turns a old run down mill that was home to probably drug dealers and homeless people into a new mixed use development is a win in my book. 

The mill itself was not home to anyone - the site is distinctive in that the owner(s) have always recognized that the building is special and kept it secured at all times.   Otherwise it would surely have been exposed to the inevitable firestorms that take out the building.   The surrounding area is another story...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, HellyBrown said:

The thing is that clean is necessary for every building and place. So if you want to have a clean one anf make sure it is so for a long time, it is better to ask professional assistance for this. And it is great to work further, when you know such company to provide reliable service.

Uhhh... what?:dontknow:

• Haha 2

On 10/17/2019 at 5:30 PM, ausrutherford said:

No one is being displaced specifically with this project since the building is currently vacant, so I would not consider it gentrification. 

Agreed.  I also would like to make the comment that crime and gentrification are two entirely different subjects.  To suggest displacing citizens with wealthy investors in an appreciating area because of high crime rates sounds like something a developer with wads of cash sticking out of his briefcase would say as he twirls his mustache (standing over a damsel they have just tied up to train tracks).  A moot point in this example thankfully as stated above, this project isnt displacing anyone.    I do think that we are ready for a more unique way to revive our old Mills than turning them all into luxury loft apts and condos though.   Interesting note in previous article was that someone wanted to turn this into a movie studio a few years back.  It seems to have been labeled a bad idea because they wanted the city to foot too much of the cost.  I would love to see more creative ideas that could generate jobs and possibly spur a new industry in town in our old mills.

Edited by gvegascple
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...