Carroll South of the Ballpark (Greensboro)

cityboi

Okay...we have seen the 15 story render..

ENow i want to see the 20 story.

Hello up folk, i am from city data, i run the Greensboro downtown development thread there. 

Nice to meet you.

My thoughts on this, i like it, would prefer the aloft to be sepperate but overal all i like it.

Truist just announced that their Mortgage HQ will be in Greensboro, this is a perfect oppertunity to lure Truist from the airport to downtown so that it can be with the other big insurance HQ's Arch captial and LFG.

Food for thought.

Edited by GSOcitizen
  • Like 3

On 6/22/2019 at 2:15 AM, GSOcitizen said:

Okay...we have seen the 15 story render..

ENow i want to see the 20 story.

Hello up folk, i am from city data, i run the Greensboro downtown development thread there. 

Nice to meet you.

My thoughts on this, i like it, would prefer the aloft to be sepperate but overal all i like it.

Truist just announced that their Mortgage HQ will be in Greensboro, this is a perfect oppertunity to lure Truist from the airport to downtown so that it can be with the other big insurance HQ's Arch captial and LFG.

Food for thought.

Welcome aboard.  Always nice to have more posters from the Triad.

• Like 4

At this early stage, I'm hoping the rendering represents the scale more than the actual design of the buildings - especially the glass tower which I think looks...well rather generic. If a large tenant like Truist signs on, the actual design might be more distinctive. Either way, this is great for Greensboro.

My guess is that there will likely be some architectural changes. That's been the case with the last two big developments Carroll has built downtown. Both Center Pointe and Carroll at Bellemeade had earlier renderings before the final design. 

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 1

On 6/29/2019 at 4:48 PM, cityboi said:

Lol well you can bet Carroll will have his name in it somewhere. The problem with the current name is that its too long and people will start calling it SOB lol. Kinda like the restaurant on Spring Garden Street called Mother Tuckers. You can guess at what people nickname it lol. Oh I'm heading over to MFs lol.

lol, over the years, we just started calling it 'Tucks'

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Roy Carroll makes land swap for his Carroll South of the Ballpark project 

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2019/08/02/its-official-carroll-and-city-make-land-swap.html?iana=hpmvp_triad_news_headline

Apparently there are also some unannounced projects near the ballpark because DGI president Zack Matheny says this in the article which hints additional office and residential projects 

"We are very excitedly this has transpired" "This allows for a lot of future growth, including Project Slugger, Carroll South of the ballpark, and a few projects we are currently working on that will bring more residential and employers to downtown Greensboro"

Edited by cityboi

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, jthomas said:

Drove by the site this morning. Demolition is well underway on the parking lot where the parking deck will go. There also appeared to be demolition work in progress on the county building - a crew was removing the roof of the awning in the area circled below.

AE78055C-A1A6-4681-AB58-D7ABC4D8542A.jpeg

Looks like the city timed it to start construction on both city decks.  Work on the  city deck/ Westin hotel hotel has also begun.

Carroll knows of some unannounced projects. DGI president Zach Matheny said something similar 

20190927_163317.jpg

Edited by cityboi

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Aloft at Carroll South of the Ballpark will be an AC Hotel instead and the height has been increased to 12 stories! The hotel will be clustered with the 9 story Project Slugger tower and Carroll's future 20 story office tower which will be included in a later phase.

Carroll also mentions construction on the hotel phase of Carroll South of the Ballpark will begin before the end of the year. Because of the rebranding and height change, the design will likely change as well.

20200310_110326.jpg

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
14 hours ago, DownEast said:

So are they just doing the hotel right now with res and office later?

Yes. Carroll said he would build it in phases with the hotel being first followed by residential. Any office component would be built in the last phase. However the timeline now hinges on how the coronavirus impacts the economy. Carroll first said construction on the AC Hotel would begin by the end of the year 

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 4