Carroll South of the Ballpark (Greensboro)

cityboi

On 9/18/2023 at 1:28 PM, AlmaPinnix said:

The new(ish) team owner, Sandler, has been planning and hopefully it's a project that is even bigger scale than the first (Slugger).

They've been planning forever. 

Yet the only crumbs we've gotten in the couple years since they started planning are literal re-hashes saying that plans are being made.

Five and a half months later, still no news with this.

Posted (edited)

City leaders even today say the Westin will go up. I think the whole deal was complicated due to it being a city/private partnership. There were lawsuits and unforeseen things in regards to the property itself. Like almost everything downtown Greensboro construction is slow for some reason or another. People forget it took 4 plus years for the Hampton Inn to be completed after construction began and its only a 6 story hotel. They were digging around in the dirt for two years before steel at the Tanger Center began to rise.

Edited by cityboi

21 hours ago, cityboi said:

City leaders even today say the Westin will go up. I think the whole deal was complicated due to it being a city/private partnership. There were lawsuits and unforeseen things in regards to the property itself. Like almost everything downtown Greensboro construction is slow for some reason or another. People forget it took 4 plus years for the Hampton Inn to be completed after construction began and its only a 6 story hotel. They were digging around in the dirt for two years before steel at the Tanger Center began to rise.

The thing is, these thing are always "still happening".

Until they're not.

6 hours ago, AlmaPinnix said:

The new Owner just took over the team in 2023. Let's let him cook, I'm sure something will be announced later this year. Probably during the baseball season, so more eyes are on the announcement.

Pretty sure the ownership took over in 2021 (or VERY early 2022) and mentioned plans then. They rehashed a story last year (just before the season IIRC) that was virtually identical to one posted around the time they took over. Nothing since.

It has been more than 2 years and they haven't released as much as a general idea of what they plan. I know two years isn't THAT long... but when they teased new plans last year only to put out a virtually identical story to the one they put out a year earlier... We'll see.

Edited by HRVT

16 hours ago, HRVT said:

Pretty sure the ownership took over in 2021 (or VERY early 2022) and mentioned plans then. They rehashed a story last year (just before the season IIRC) that was virtually identical to one posted around the time they took over. Nothing since.

It has been more than 2 years and they haven't released as much as a general idea of what they plan. I know two years isn't THAT long... but when they teased new plans last year only to put out a virtually identical story to the one they put out a year earlier... We'll see.

You're right, it was early 2022, January, to be exact. Still, its only been 2 years. Let him get his feet wet a bit. He has been racking up partners recently. Cone Health is now on board.

9 hours ago, AlmaPinnix said:

You're right, it was early 2022, January, to be exact. Still, its only been 2 years. Let him get his feet wet a bit. He has been racking up partners recently. Cone Health is now on board.

To be honest, I was thinking it was 2021 they got involved and we were at 3 years. 2 years isnt a terribly long time but the radio silence is getting louder and louder. Hopefully they'll announce more soon.

Interesting you say Cone is on board. I thought they were involved in the N&R spot.

On 3/1/2024 at 3:29 PM, cityboi said:

Don't forget the years it took Carroll at Bellemeade and the Hyatt Place to be built.  I think that was going on for 4, maybe 5 years.  Construction in Greensboro is inextricably slow.  If the city gov is involved in a job it becomes glacial.  Case in point: downtown greenway

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, AlmaPinnix said:

I don't think so, the hold up is with the city and road closure timelines for cityscape and infrastructure upgrades.

The reason I ask was the following quote where "retail" is conspicuously absent.

"It will essentially wrap around the parking deck that currently sits in the middle of the property. It will feature luxury apartments, a large meeting space, and a hotel."

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I have no doubt this will move forward but is it going to take 8 to 10 years to build? Little sarcasm there but with exception to Project Slugger which went up pretty quickly, the construction process of every major downtown development in recent years in Greensboro has dragged and I can't place my finger on exactly why that's the case. Its so frustrating and it kills momentum when projects take an unusual amount of time to get off the ground and I'm talking about after the ground breaking.  It took 3 to 4 years for construction of the Hampton Inn and Suites to be completed which is crazy for a small 6 story hotel. I mean what the hell? Projects go up quickly elsewhere in the city and even downtown projects in nearby peer cities tend to go up pretty quickly.

There was excitement when it was announced about the Westin going up. But its been under construction for so long, when it finally does open, not many are going to be paying attention or even care.

Someone brought up the greenway. They are finally beginning construction on the final leg but its taken about 2 decades to build. By the time something happens on the News and Record property, I'll probably be at retirement age by then.

Edited by cityboi

18 hours ago, gman430 said:

Won’t get built. He will come up with some excuse from inflation to interest rates to the war in Israel to another pandemic to Donald Trump. 

I tend to be a bit on the skeptical side when it comes to development, but I don't see any reason this wouldn't be built. Sure, there was Project 561 before this, but that was so clearly a pie-in-the-sky proposal, I don't know why it was taken as seriously as it was for so long. 

This proposal has a hotel that is nice but not overly fancy that it is out of the Greensboro price point. The rooftop restaurant is something missing from Greensboro (I know there's a rooftop bar, but I don't think we have any restaurants that I can think of... and definitely not as high as this would be). And then you have a lot of apartments which IMO would be a huge win for Greensboro in bringing more people downtown and I think the demand would support it. Downtown Winston-Salem is building apartments hand over fist compared to Greensboro and I can't imagine Downtown Greensboro would be any less attractive. Sure, Downtown Greensboro isn't as "large" as Downtown Winston-Salem, but it's more easily walkable.... and having a ballpark across the street is a neat perk (yes, I'm aware a ballpark by itself won't attract anybody... just that it's a perk). I wonder if they're working to time out the beginning of construction with an announcement of what it is that the Hoppers' ownership is planning (and if they're planning oodles of retail, it would make sense that Carroll may shy away from that element on his project when it already pretty much seemed an afterthought).

Edited by HRVT
  • Like 1