LOCAL and Florida Politics

spenser1058

From what I understand, nothing changes for Reedy Creek and it will remain business as usual for Disney. There was no way to legally avoid shifting the debt onto taxpayers. Disney's tax savings on bonds will not change (nor should it change).

https://www.tampabay.com/opinion/2023/03/03/gov-desantis-gets-conservatives-cheer-state-intrusion-private-business-column/

So much for the party of limited government and freedom of speech. Had it not been for DeSantis's incessant penchant for wading into culture wars, I could've been swayed into supporting him. Total turn off.

13 hours ago, aent said:

And I'm not saying that it is unsafe. There are areas of the building code that are required, even if upgrades make the requirement obsolete (although typically not harmful, except to your wallet) There are also other things done for efficiency, that may make the aesthetics Disney wants impossible, that again they are not required to follow. It also can prevent inspections from slowing down projects because they likely gave themselves more flexibility on when they can happen.

You are incorrect. Just to avoid all the RCID drama articles, here's an old one talking about that advantage:

https://www.themeparktourist.com/features/20140919/29288/4-government-powers-you-didnt-know-walt-disney-world-could-use

So according to your article, the only two areas in which RCID was able to get special dispensation, was with zoning and tax free bonds.

The self zoning is a non issue because they own the entire district. As such, there are no other private property owners near anything they build on their property who might be negatively effected by the type of activity or the appearance of it. Everything they build is related to the same thing... their theme park.

Given the fact that the only reason zoning laws exist to begin with is to protect adjacent property owners from development that might effect them, it's a moot point and a non issue. 

As far as the tax-free bonds are concerned, sure Florida misses out on some taxes that would have been generated by the bond sales, but look at all the tax revenue that has been generated because of Disney's existence here. 

Anyone who wants to cry foul or unfair, ought to take a look at where they'd be without Disney, which is here in large part because of those wheels that were greased for them.

9 hours ago, jrs2 said:

the same can be said for those that push for brainwashing kids in school and THEIR culture war and vindictiveness against anyone not like them (see your home boy Bill Maher).  Or are we going to play that same song and dance again that there was no proof this was going on.  

Not even close to the same thing. 

Ron DeScumbag is the Governor of this state. He is using the power of his office and the state legislature to carry out petty vendettas against anyone who goes against the goofball Trumper ideology he panders to. 

The people you're talking about have no direct power to punish anyone especially DeShameless.

apples-oranges-2.jpg

On 3/3/2023 at 9:49 PM, JFW657 said:

So according to your article, the only two areas in which RCID was able to get special dispensation, was with zoning and tax free bonds.

The self zoning is a non issue because they own the entire district. As such, there are no other private property owners near anything they build on their property who might be negatively effected by the type of activity or the appearance of it. Everything they build is related to the same thing... their theme park.

Given the fact that the only reason zoning laws exist to begin with is to protect adjacent property owners from development that might effect them, it's a moot point and a non issue. 

As far as the tax-free bonds are concerned, sure Florida misses out on some taxes that would have been generated by the bond sales, but look at all the tax revenue that has been generated because of Disney's existence here. 

Anyone who wants to cry foul or unfair, ought to take a look at where they'd be without Disney, which is here in large part because of those wheels that were greased for them.

Not even close to the same thing. 

Ron DeScumbag is the Governor of this state. He is using the power of his office and the state legislature to carry out petty vendettas against anyone who goes against the goofball Trumper ideology he panders to. 

The people you're talking about have no direct power to punish anyone especially DeShameless.

apples-oranges-2.jpg

I think after everything that was witnessed the past two years from the left with censorship etc- witnessed not by the woke, rather, witnessed by everyone who was a-wake, the aforementioned are humming Cry Me A River. 

An accurate recap is that DeSantis passed the Parental Rights Act, the woke renamed it Don't Say Gay and Disney uncorked it's hole and actively tried to undermine it's passage, so DeSantis simply reminded them of their place. 

The ensuing year saw Disney stock plummet, partly bc of this, and partly bc consumers aren't as interested in their woke product like Disney thought. DeSantis' move simply brought to light what they have become, to consumers that finally said, thanks, but no thanks.  Meanwhile DeSantis got re-elected in a landslide.

DeSantis panders to goofball Trumper ideology with petty vendettas?  Kids?  Protecting kids is petty? Oh, right, I almost forgot, you are a leftist and believe that when your kid tells you their teacher white shamed them, gave them pronouns and told them that they have no set gender, that adversley reacting to this makes you a goofball Trumper ideologue. 

Got it, so then what does that make you for calling this goofball Trumper ideology? Because from what I've seen over the years, that's all the left is, a bunch of brainwashing pedophilic opportunist predators that have no useful place in civilized society.  Maybe they should instead just go door to door and pitch their leftism to the parents directly, like an Avon salesperson.  Gee, now how would that play out?

12 hours ago, jrs2 said:

I think after everything that was witnessed the past two years from the left with censorship etc- witnessed not by the woke, rather, witnessed by everyone who was a-wake, the aforementioned are humming Cry Me A River. 

An accurate recap is that DeSantis passed the Parental Rights Act, the woke renamed it Don't Say Gay and Disney uncorked it's hole and actively tried to undermine it's passage, so DeSantis simply reminded them of their place. 

The ensuing year saw Disney stock plummet, partly bc of this, and partly bc consumers aren't as interested in their woke product like Disney thought. DeSantis' move simply brought to light what they have become, to consumers that finally said, thanks, but no thanks.  Meanwhile DeSantis got re-elected in a landslide.

DeSantis panders to goofball Trumper ideology with petty vendettas?  Kids?  Protecting kids is petty? Oh, right, I almost forgot, you are a leftist and believe that when your kid tells you their teacher white shamed them, gave them pronouns and told them that they have no set gender, that adversley reacting to this makes you a goofball Trumper ideologue. 

Got it, so then what does that make you for calling this goofball Trumper ideology? Because from what I've seen over the years, that's all the left is, a bunch of brainwashing pedophilic opportunist predators that have no useful place in civilized society.  Maybe they should instead just go door to door and pitch their leftism to the parents directly, like an Avon salesperson.  Gee, now how would that play out?

It's downright amusing how off base you are on just about everything you post about social & political issues.

1) I have repeatedly told you that I AGREE IN PRINCIPLE with DeShameless' stance on what is and is not appropriate for talking to school children about. Personally, I'd be OK wih it going even farther and banning it through the 8th grade. Yet you continue to blindly hurl that tired old "you are a leftist" crap at me because a) you apparently have nothing else and b) because you are a typical Trumper who can't recognize the difference between common sense centrism and woke progressivism. Anything to the left of Ghengis Kahn or the Marquis DeSade, to your ilk is woke leftism.

2) It should be clear to you that what I am against concerning DeSadist, are his heavy handed, Trumper vote-pandering tactics. Funny how after all these years in office, DeSawed-off-little-runt had no problem with RCID's special district status. Then suddenly, after they exercise their constitutional right to express an opinion he didn't approve of and which publicly challenged his own, the chubby little DeStormTrooper lands on them with the full weight of his office coupled with the spineless, toadying, Repugnant led State Legislature, just to make a public spectacle, in turn causing the rank and file right-wing Trumper nut jobs to clap like the trained seals they are and to reaffirm their mindless support for him.

3) Am I correct in assuming you can supply some sort of hard, factual data to support your apparently specious claim about why Disney's stock prices fell, or... proof that they even did? 

4) As for why DeSatan got reelected, I'm fairly certain it was more a combination of a weak Democrat opposition candidate and the non-stop influx of angry, cranky old bigot retirees from northern regions like Chicago, NY, Ohio, Michigan etc. into the rural northern regions of Florida like The Villages and the Panhandle aka The Redneck Riviera. 

IOW, DeSlothful owes his political success to an overabundance of the same ignorant, low-class, low-educated mouth breathers who put Trump in office.

SSDD.  

• Like 2

On 3/5/2023 at 12:56 AM, jrs2 said:

It’s going to take a lot of effort to “unlearn” people like you when the cookie crumbles. 
Hopefully, as a nation, we spend that money on people who earned it. 

On 3/3/2023 at 8:01 AM, aent said:

And I'm not saying that it is unsafe. There are areas of the building code that are required, even if upgrades make the requirement obsolete (although typically not harmful, except to your wallet) There are also other things done for efficiency, that may make the aesthetics Disney wants impossible, that again they are not required to follow. It also can prevent inspections from slowing down projects because they likely gave themselves more flexibility on when they can happen.

You are incorrect. Just to avoid all the RCID drama articles, here's an old one talking about that advantage:

https://www.themeparktourist.com/features/20140919/29288/4-government-powers-you-didnt-know-walt-disney-world-could-use

I don't think that writer understands what building codes are. They mention it and never give an example. 

I honestly don't think any jurisdiction can supersede state law when it comes to FBC. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, jack said:

I don't think that writer understands what building codes are. They mention it and never give an example. 

I honestly don't think any jurisdiction can supersede state law when it comes to FBC. 

Florida does allow all jurisdictions to supersede the Florida Building Code. This is common and written into the law.

If you want an obvious examples, many different jurisdictions modify the codes related to pools on where the fence needs to be, if grass is allowed inside the fenced area, etc. Thats why in some areas, you'll frequently see two sets of fences in someone's backyard (one where the person wants the fence, the other where code requires it to be)

3 hours ago, aent said:

Florida does allow all jurisdictions to supersede the Florida Building Code. This is common and written into the law.

If you want an obvious examples, many different jurisdictions modify the codes related to pools on where the fence needs to be, if grass is allowed inside the fenced area, etc. Thats why in some areas, you'll frequently see two sets of fences in someone's backyard (one where the person wants the fence, the other where code requires it to be)

As I said earlier, most if not all of that pertains to zoning issues.

Zoning laws and engineering standards are apples and oranges. 

Allowing variances on cosmetic features is not even in the same universe as allowing relaxed live or dead load requirements, or wind speed requirements, etc.

And that is what has been implied here.... that RCID was allowed to set it's own structural and engineering standards as it saw fit or as it saw was the most profitable or cost effective for them, which no reasonably intelligent person would believe.

Demonization via half truth and distortion has always been a common tactic of the right.  

4 hours ago, aent said:

I only do commercial and pool fences are governed by the health department, not the local jurisdiction. Also, fences are not required if other parameters are met. 

On 3/5/2023 at 1:48 PM, JFW657 said:

It's downright amusing how off base you are on just about everything you post about social & political issues.

1) I have repeatedly told you that I AGREE IN PRINCIPLE with DeShameless' stance on what is and is not appropriate for talking to school children about. Personally, I'd be OK wih it going even farther and banning it through the 8th grade. Yet you continue to blindly hurl that tired old "you are a leftist" crap at me because a) you apparently have nothing else and b) because you are a typical Trumper who can't recognize the difference between common sense centrism and woke progressivism. Anything to the left of Ghengis Kahn or the Marquis DeSade, to your ilk is woke leftism.

2) It should be clear to you that what I am against concerning DeSadist, are his heavy handed, Trumper vote-pandering tactics. Funny how after all these years in office, DeSawed-off-little-runt had no problem with RCID's special district status. Then suddenly, after they exercise their constitutional right to express an opinion he didn't approve of and which publicly challenged his own, the chubby little DeStormTrooper lands on them with the full weight of his office coupled with the spineless, toadying, Repugnant led State Legislature, just to make a public spectacle, in turn causing the rank and file right-wing Trumper nut jobs to clap like the trained seals they are and to reaffirm their mindless support for him.

3) Am I correct in assuming you can supply some sort of hard, factual data to support your apparently specious claim about why Disney's stock prices fell, or... proof that they even did? 

4) As for why DeSatan got reelected, I'm fairly certain it was more a combination of a weak Democrat opposition candidate and the non-stop influx of angry, cranky old bigot retirees from northern regions like Chicago, NY, Ohio, Michigan etc. into the rural northern regions of Florida like The Villages and the Panhandle aka The Redneck Riviera. 

IOW, DeSlothful owes his political success to an overabundance of the same ignorant, low-class, low-educated mouth breathers who put Trump in office.

SSDD.  

To be as objective as possible, here are the relevant events in sequential order:

1.  grooming was (allegedly) occurring in schools

2.  legislators & DeSantis learned of it

3. Parental Rights Act is drafted and proposed for passage

4.  Disney interferes (they admitted it)

5.  The Act is passed nevertheless

6.  DeSantis goes after RCID and reorganizes it

If there has been ANY storm trooping going on it has been by the Left in their constant attack on the family in usurping it by having their leftist teachers push their agendas on an impressionable and unsuspecting youth in an educational setting, behind the back of their parents.  

On 3/7/2023 at 2:01 PM, JFW657 said:

As I said earlier, most if not all of that pertains to zoning issues.

Zoning laws and engineering standards are apples and oranges. 

Allowing variances on cosmetic features is not even in the same universe as allowing relaxed live or dead load requirements, or wind speed requirements, etc.

And that is what has been implied here.... that RCID was allowed to set it's own structural and engineering standards as it saw fit or as it saw was the most profitable or cost effective for them, which no reasonably intelligent person would believe.

Demonization via half truth and distortion has always been a common tactic of the right.  

likewise, the left ONLY exists because of the tactic of demonization of virtually everyone else (see reality for reference)

17 hours ago, jrs2 said:

To be as objective as possible, here are the relevant events in sequential order:

1.  grooming was (allegedly) occurring in schools

2.  legislators & DeSantis learned of it

3. Parental Rights Act is drafted and proposed for passage

4.  Disney interferes (they admitted it)

5.  The Act is passed nevertheless

6.  DeSantis goes after RCID and reorganizes it

Too funny!!! :lol:

1. Specious allegation ("grooming") made by kooks and nowhere close to ever having been supported by any factual findings or credible evidence.

2. -  6. All based on a faulty premise (see 1.) making them all invalid. 

I have to give you credit for brevity though.  :thumbsup: 

17 hours ago, jrs2 said:

If there has been ANY storm trooping going on it has been by the Left in their constant attack on the family in usurping it by having their leftist teachers push their agendas on an impressionable and unsuspecting youth in an educational setting, behind the back of their parents.  

Though I understand and agree with the right's push to keep these gender and sexuality related subjects out of K-8 public school classrooms, what you're calling "storm trooping" is simply a matter of over zealousness and over reaching by a segment of society advocating for their own cause like every other group does.  Doesn't make them right, but it's no more akin to "storm trooping" than the religious kooks who've pushed to teach creationism in schools.

As I pointed out earlier, and which you either ignored or just don't get, the people engaging in what you described are not in any official positions of power. Ron DeStormTrooper OTOH, is the Governor and he has the Repugnant controlled state legislature behind him. So, no comparison.

And yes, both sides engage in demonization of the other. But the right has been relying on it as their go-to political tactic for much longer than the left has. Currently you guys still have the Demonizer-In-Chief, Donald Trump. And of course there's Fox News and the likes of Sean Hannity who is just one among several. Going back to the 90's and 00's, there was Rush Limbaugh. In the 80's it was Morton Downey Jr. In the 70's it was Jerry Falwell and the so-called "Moral Majority". The right has been hanging its hat on demonization of the left for five decades at least.  

And quite frankly, the right has earned the demonization it gets to a much greater degree than the left has, given the right's history of underhanded, strongarm gutter politics.  

Edited by JFW657
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Too funny!!! :lol:

1. Specious allegation ("grooming") made by kooks and nowhere close to ever having been supported by any factual findings or credible evidence.

2. -  6. All based on a faulty premise (see 1.) making them all invalid. 

I have to give you credit for brevity though.  :thumbsup: 

Though I understand and agree with the right's push to keep these gender and sexuality related subjects out of K-8 public school classrooms, what you're calling "storm trooping" is simply a matter of over zealousness and over reaching by a segment of society advocating for their own cause like every other group does.  Doesn't make them right, but it's no more akin to "storm trooping" than the religious kooks who've pushed to teach creationism in schools.

As I pointed out earlier, and which you either ignored or just don't get, the people engaging in what you described are not in any official positions of power. Ron DeStormTrooper OTOH, is the Governor and he has the Repugnant controlled state legislature behind him. So, no comparison.

And yes, both sides engage in demonization of the other. But the right has been relying on it as their go-to political tactic for much longer than the left has. Currently you guys still have the Demonizer-In-Chief, Donald Trump. And of course there's Fox News and the likes of Sean Hannity who is just one among several. Going back to the 90's and 00's, there was Rush Limbaugh. In the 80's it was Morton Downey Jr. In the 70's it was Jerry Falwell and the so-called "Moral Majority". The right has been hanging its hat on demonization of the left for five decades at least.  

And quite frankly, the right has earned the demonization it gets to a much greater degree than the left has, given the right's history of underhanded, strongarm gutter politics.  

If that's the case, ie, that The Act restricts any talk that goes beyond the syllabus in the classroom, then, if nothing was in fact going on ala grooming from leftist teachers, then how was it a First Amendment violation?  What speech was curtailed if it didn't exist to begin with? Yeah, that's what I thought. 

On 3/10/2023 at 9:25 AM, jrs2 said:

If that's the case, ie, that The Act restricts any talk that goes beyond the syllabus in the classroom, then, if nothing was in fact going on ala grooming from leftist teachers, then how was it a First Amendment violation?  What speech was curtailed if it didn't exist to begin with? Yeah, that's what I thought. 

Honest question for you - what do you consider "grooming"? If let's say I was a teacher for a 4th grade class and they said, "Mr. Bqknight, what did you do this weekend?" and I replied with, "Me and my husband took our dog to the farmer's market." Is that "grooming" to you? or what if I had a picture of me, my husband and our dog on my desk and in that picture our dog had a rainbow bandana?

Edited by bqknight
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, bqknight said:

Honest question for you - what do you consider "grooming"? If let's say I was a teacher for a 4th grade class and they said, "Mr. Bqknight, what did you do this weekend?" and I replied with, "Me and my husband took our dog to the farmer's market." Is that "grooming" to you? or what if I had a picture of me, my husband and our dog on my desk and in that picture our dog had a rainbow bandana?

I was going to ask @jrs2 a similar question about what he considers "grooming" because he seems to like the word. 

Personally I think he uses it in an intentionally pejorative manner and also as a substitute for expressing anything rational or factual on the subject.

But then, given that people on the far right rarely have anything to say that could be described as rational or factual on any subject, I suppose that is to be expected.  

23 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I was going to ask @jrs2 a similar question about what he considers "grooming" because he seems to like the word. 

Personally I think he uses it in an intentionally pejorative manner and also as a substitute for expressing anything rational or factual on the subject.

But then, given that people on the far right rarely have anything to say that could be described as rational or factual on any subject, I suppose that is to be expected.  

actually, I had not even heard the term "grooming" much less paid close attention to it (as a term) until that band of gay posters assaulted me with comments about DeSantis on the Lake Nona thread a couple of months back, where one of them even went as far as to call it "hate speech" when all I did was repeat the general allegation (in the media, mind you).  But they are the ones that brought up the term to begin with-- look it up.  Don't be lazy- look it up- all because one person felt bad about Florida as a place that might not be gay friendly (b/c of the DeSantis/Disney stuff) and he didn't know whether he would ever move back here... so the coddling ensued and my only purpose was to point out that there wasn't a general witch hunt going on, rather, The Act was the result of specific activities going on in the school system.  

Well, my understanding was it had mainly to do with the trans community and all this pronoun bullsh!t.   And even that one gay guy who posted asked the question "what do they want from us?" and that was directed at the trans community or rather the left pushing their narrative.   

So to your point about the right,  when you have the leftist media pushing a narrative, if they don't report (or misreport) on an actual fact, the brainwashed, like yourself, don't acknowledge that fact (b/c your preferred talking head didn't fart it into your breathing tube while you were inhaling).  That is the reality of things.

1 hour ago, bqknight said:

So the RCID thing is a situation where DeSantis makes a move, and the legitimacy as to "why" has to be flushed out and a discussion had to justify its legitimacy? 

I don't think kids care about having gay teachers or not.  And you are aware of this.  And you should be aware of the points even Bill Maher made about this situation with kids in the school system.  Is Bill Maher in DeSantis' campaign?   No, but he acknowledges this as well.  Kids have had gay teachers for decades.  But this new thing is about trans, pronouns, furries, white shame, going behind the backs of parents, and so forth.

And you guys are the ones that coined it the "Don't Say Gay" act to begin with.  I didn't.  DeSantis didn't.  The leftist media did to change the focus from The Parental Rights Act being a response, to The Don't Say Gay Act being a preemptive attack (on gays), which it's not.  But luckily the rest of the State of Florida isn't asleep at the wheel (and neither is Bill Maher) to see the games being played by the left.  You see, because the left's strategy is to lump in gays as a whole to make them all feel targeted; rally the troops.  So your question is irrelevant, and you are trying to make this generally about gays.    

17 hours ago, jrs2 said:

So the RCID thing is a situation where DeSantis makes a move, and the legitimacy as to "why" has to be flushed out and a discussion had to justify its legitimacy? 

I don't think kids care about having gay teachers or not.  And you are aware of this.  And you should be aware of the points even Bill Maher made about this situation with kids in the school system.  Is Bill Maher in DeSantis' campaign?   No, but he acknowledges this as well.  Kids have had gay teachers for decades.  But this new thing is about trans, pronouns, furries, white shame, going behind the backs of parents, and so forth.

And you guys are the ones that coined it the "Don't Say Gay" act to begin with.  I didn't.  DeSantis didn't.  The leftist media did to change the focus from The Parental Rights Act being a response, to The Don't Say Gay Act being a preemptive attack (on gays), which it's not.  But luckily the rest of the State of Florida isn't asleep at the wheel (and neither is Bill Maher) to see the games being played by the left.  You see, because the left's strategy is to lump in gays as a whole to make them all feel targeted; rally the troops.  So your question is irrelevant, and you are trying to make this generally about gays.    

All this ^^^ is nothing more than the usual right-wing obfuscation, issue avoidance and dancing around the point, which is that regardless of who said what about who first or why they said it or who is right about this or wrong about that, etc, etc, etc ad infinitum.... the fact remains that Governor DeSlimeball used his office to enact vengeance and carry out a personal vendetta against a corporation for exercising its Constitutional rights.

The current Republican Governor of Florida is the textbook definition of a fascist.

As are the rest of the GOP and the political right in general.  

Plain and simple. 

2 hours ago, bqknight said:

So you can't? And you know why you can't? It's not happening. 

Well, when one of your own is acknowledging it, then what does that tell you?  But your logic is otherwise ridiculous. I can just as easily say that just because I haven't personally seen an illegal come to Miami on a boat from Cuba, then it's not happening.

But I'm not the one you have to convince.  The court of public opinion has got you outnumbered 1,000 to 1, especially when Bill Maher is talking about it.  So blame your own party for the bad PR. But don't expect everyone to be a denier by default just bc of political correctness bc it ain't gonna happen.  A law has been passed by the state legislature. The burden is on YOU to prove that it wasn't happening. So between Maher acknowledging it and Milo "spilling the beans" a few years back...

2 hours ago, JFW657 said:

All this ^^^ is nothing more than the usual right-wing obfuscation, issue avoidance and dancing around the point, which is that regardless of who said what about who first or why they said it or who is right about this or wrong about that, etc, etc, etc ad infinitum.... the fact remains that Governor DeSlimeball used his office to enact vengeance and carry out a personal vendetta against a corporation for exercising its Constitutional rights.

The current Republican Governor of Florida is the textbook definition of a fascist.

As are the rest of the GOP and the political right in general.  

Plain and simple. 

Vengeance? Do you mean like the Steel Docier funded by Hillary? The illegal search of Miralago? How twitter took directives from the DNC to censor people including the president?  Do you mean like the weaponized IRS audit of Dinesh Disouza bc he made the Obama 2012 documentary about same? Like that? Cry me a river.

Typical leftist. You cry bc the MSM has only a 6 to 1 advantage of leftist news outlets to right wing outlets, and you lose sleep over the 1. And you also cry bc perhaps the largest leftist media organization aka Disney gets beotch slapped by a republican, to wit, even Maher had commentary on it where he agrees with that law, never questioning whether DeSantis overstepped. At least Disney shut the f* up and learned their lesson to stop their corporate bleeding; so continue fighting their fight, which sounds more like your fight. 

A corporation's constitutional rights? You need to go back to school...