LOCAL and Florida Politics

spenser1058

On 11/24/2022 at 7:37 PM, JFW657 said:

See The Villages. Full of Northeastern retirees and about as red as it gets.

And I also mentioned Midwesterners who tend to be pretty red.

Especially between the shoulders and the jawbone. 

Arizona Democrats barely squeaked out a win, partly because of the Roe v. Wade decision.

The batsh*t crazy Trumpers the Repugnants ran helped too. 

Normally Arizona is about as red as Texas.

I think DeShameless won big here because we just had weak candidates.

I also think that the progressive agenda that seems only focused on gender issues, pronouns, pandering to politically correct wokeness and handing out $10 k worth of free education to almost anyone, has driven independents back to the right. 

I think the more liberal and progressive the Democrats get, the more elections we'll lose.

We have Trump and the SCOTUS to thank for our better than expected performance last time. 

That might not carry us in '24.  

What are your pronouns, JFW567?  (asked by JRS2, he/him)

On 11/24/2022 at 6:45 PM, JFW657 said:

Northern and Midwestern transplants, I'm guessing. 

Plus, Hispanics seem to going red, too.

Hispanics are really starting to resent the whole illegal immigrant thing.  And they see right through the whole liberal agenda with illegals.

What? Does a Democrat have to be the one to say it for it to be true?

5 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

Hispanics are really starting to resent the whole illegal immigrant thing.  And they see right through the whole liberal agenda with illegals.

What? Does a Democrat have to be the one to say it for it to be true?

The Hispanic vote is still well over 70% Democratic nationwide. The Democrats are going to have to become more sophisticated in recognizing there are a lot of different “Hispanic” communities (for example, Cuban  vs Puerto Rican), and we hit a high point in 2016 due to Hillary’s popularity with various Latino communities (especially in South Florida and Nevada) that will be tough to reach again, but we’re still OK. 

The educational split also makes a big difference, particularly in Hispanic communities, we’ll be working to address that as well.

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

The Hispanic vote is still well over 70% Democratic nationwide. The Democrats are going to have to become more sophisticated in recognizing there are a lot of different “Hispanic” communities (for example, Cuban  vs Puerto Rican), and we hit a high point in 2016 due to Hillary’s popularity with various Latino communities (especially in South Florida and Nevada) that will be tough to reach again, but we’re still OK. 

The educational split also makes a big difference, particularly in Hispanic communities, we’ll be working to address that as well.

yeah but not in border states, like Florida.  When people have to bust their a55 for something that is given to someone else for free, they get p!ssed.  

Case in point, the college tuition thing.  You know it's bad when even Nancy Pelosi calls out Biden for it not being a realistic thing.  I was stunned.

2 hours ago, jrs2 said:

What are your pronouns, JFW567?  (asked by JRS2, he/him)

I love all pronouns.

Along with adjectives and verbs, they've always been some of my favorite parts of speech.

Personal pronouns - I, he, she, it, we, they, me, him, her, us, them.

Subjective pronouns - I, you, he, she, it, we, they, what, who.

Objective pronouns - me, him, her, it, us, you, them, whom.

Possessive Pronouns - mine, yours, his, hers, ours, theirs.

Demonstrative Pronouns - this, that, these, those.

Interrogative Pronouns - who, whom, which, what, whose, whoever, whatever, whichever, whomever.

Relative Pronouns - who, whom, whose, which, that, what, whatever, whoever, whomever, whichever.

Reflexive Pronouns - myself, yourself, himself, herself, itself, ourselves, themselves.

Intensive Pronouns - myself, yourself, himself, herself, itself, ourselves, themselves.

Reciprocal Pronouns - Each other, one another.

Indefinite pronouns -  Anything, everybody, another, each, few, many, none, some, all, any, anybody, anyone, everyone, everything, no one, nobody, nothing, none, other, others, several, somebody, someone, something, most, enough, little, more, both, either, neither, one, much, such. 

They're all good to me.  :thumbsup:  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

yeah but not in border states, like Florida.  When people have to bust their a55 for something that is given to someone else for free, they get p!ssed.  

Case in point, the college tuition thing.  You know it's bad when even Nancy Pelosi calls out Biden for it not being a realistic thing.  I was stunned.

What's not realistic about it? Many other countries have free public college, why not us? We have free public K-12. Why is a few more years for public college so unreasonable? The state I live in (Connecticut) has a network of free public colleges for people who graduated from a High School within Connecticut. Other states have variations of this as well.

26 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

Nancy has always been about counting the votes. If she can’t see a majority, it’s not her priority. She got that from her daddy who ran the Baltimore machine for years.

That’s what the GOP never got about Nancy when they wrote her off as a San Francisco limousine liberal. That’s not where she learned the business.

2 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I love all pronouns.

Along with adjectives and verbs, they've always been some of my favorite parts of speech.

Personal pronouns - I, he, she, it, we, they, me, him, her, us, them.

Subjective pronouns - I, you, he, she, it, we, they, what, who.

Objective pronouns - me, him, her, it, us, you, them, whom.

Possessive Pronouns - mine, yours, his, hers, ours, theirs.

Demonstrative Pronouns - this, that, these, those.

Interrogative Pronouns - who, whom, which, what, whose, whoever, whatever, whichever, whomever.

Relative Pronouns - who, whom, whose, which, that, what, whatever, whoever, whomever, whichever.

Reflexive Pronouns - myself, yourself, himself, herself, itself, ourselves, themselves.

Intensive Pronouns - myself, yourself, himself, herself, itself, ourselves, themselves.

Reciprocal Pronouns - Each other, one another.

Indefinite pronouns -  Anything, everybody, another, each, few, many, none, some, all, any, anybody, anyone, everyone, everything, no one, nobody, nothing, none, other, others, several, somebody, someone, something, most, enough, little, more, both, either, neither, one, much, such. 

They're all good to me.  :thumbsup:  

I guess you could say I'm panpronounsual. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, orange87 said:

What's not realistic about it? Many other countries have free public college, why not us? We have free public K-12. Why is a few more years for public college so unreasonable? The state I live in (Connecticut) has a network of free public colleges for people who graduated from a High School within Connecticut. Other states have variations of this as well.

ask Nancy Pelosi.

1 hour ago, orange87 said:

I think he @jrs2 misspoke and meant Pelosi said Biden could not do it legally. As in the president does not control the power of the purse and congress would have to pass legislation to make it happen. 

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Nancy has always been about counting the votes. If she can’t see a majority, it’s not her priority. She got that from her daddy who ran the Baltimore machine for years.

That’s what the GOP never got about Nancy when they wrote her off as a San Francisco limousine liberal. That’s not where she learned the business.

Most powerful speaker in our lifetime. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jrs2 said:

Florida is not a border state. It does not resemble one and does not share in the burden of mass migration on the southern or northern US international borders. 

DeSatan wants this—desperately.  But it just wouldn’t look too hot to ship up a boatload of Cubans to Nantucket now would it? That wouldn’t help the voting bloc.

Isn’t that the very reason DeSatan needed to find a state with an actual border crossing problem to nosy himself into?

He sure wasn’t going to cross CA, NM, or AZ and pull those shenanigans there.  “Don’t mess with Tex…”, oh wait…

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, orange87 said:

Free community college is one thing, but forgiving that much money in debts already incurred and agreed to by the people who owe it doesn't sit well with a lot of people.

Just imagine how it feels to have paid off, say $15k in student loans, then a few months or a couple of years later, people start getting $10k of their debt forgiven. 

I felt like rather than a flat, across the board $10k, Biden should have made it a percentage of the debt so that everybody had to pay part of what they owe.

Maybe forgive 35% or up to 50%.  

18 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

Florida is not a border state. It does not resemble one and does not share in the burden of mass migration on the southern or northern US international borders. 

DeSatan wants this—desperately.  But it just wouldn’t look too hot to ship up a boatload of Cubans to Nantucket now would it? That wouldn’t help the voting bloc.

Isn’t that the very reason DeSatan needed to find a state with an actual border crossing problem to nosy himself into?

He sure wasn’t going to cross CA, NM, or AZ and pull those shenanigans there.  “Don’t mess with Tex…”, oh wait…

Florida ranks 3rd with illegal immigrants to the tune of $750k (2016).   Not a border state, huh, so then I guess then those $750k are illegals that Biden and Obama shipped down to Florida from other states to make them OUR problem.

You can't have it both ways.

15 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

Florida ranks 3rd with illegal immigrants to the tune of $750k (2016).   Not a border state, huh, so then I guess then those $750k are illegals that Biden and Obama shipped down to Florida from other states to make them OUR problem.

As Florida should -- it is the 3rd largest state by population.  

However, the percentage of the total population of immigrants is 3.8% of the population. By the way, that is exactly the same percentage of total immigrant population as liberal Massachusetts.  The difference is MA politicians are not throwing temper tantrums and attempting lame political stunts to stay relevant on right wing "media" networks.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

Got a link to that?

Because I checked and can't find a story about it anywhere.

Found this, though....

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2014/11/20/365519963/obama-will-announce-relief-for-up-to-5-million-immigrants

• Thanks 2

Miami-Dade has scored $1.4m in federal funds for transit projects, including the long-sought Northeast Corridor commuter rail to Aventura. It comes from President Biden’s infrastructure bill:

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/573319-miami-dade-scores-1-4m-in-federal-earmarks-for-transit-oriented-development/

From Florida Politics 

MIAMI HAS JOEMENTUM!

(Remember Cheetohead’s constantly announced “Infrastructure Weeks” that never actually ended up with, ummm, infrastructure? Sad.)

5 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

As Florida should -- it is the 3rd largest state by population.  

However, the percentage of the total population of immigrants is 3.8% of the population. By the way, that is exactly the same percentage of total immigrant population as liberal Massachusetts.  The difference is MA politicians are not throwing temper tantrums and attempting lame political stunts to stay relevant on right wing "media" networks.

DeSantis doesn't have to ship illegals to MA to stay relevant.  But, the whole sanctuary city/ sanctuary state thing- if Democrats want to pay for that, then pay for it with your money and house those illegals in your cities and states and on your own couch.  Again, you can'[t have it both ways.  You can't allow thousands of illegals walking over the border and force it down the nation's throat, give them Medicaid and free things, and then when people protest this, they are shamed and extoled for it.  That's bullsh!t and right out of the liberal playbook.  It's just another "victim" to create.  Victim politics.  Fix the damn economy and stop creating yet another victim class and attacking conservatives when they protest it.  

36 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

DeSantis doesn't have to ship illegals to MA to stay relevant.  But, the whole sanctuary city/ sanctuary state thing- if Democrats want to pay for that, then pay for it with your money and house those illegals in your cities and states and on your own couch.  Again, you can'[t have it both ways.  You can't allow thousands of illegals walking over the border and force it down the nation's throat, give them Medicaid and free things, and then when people protest this, they are shamed and extoled for it.  That's bullsh!t and right out of the liberal playbook.  It's just another "victim" to create.  Victim politics.  Fix the damn economy and stop creating yet another victim class and attacking conservatives when they protest it.  

Aside for what is mostly indecipherable about this post -- should the nation tell Florida to go screw it and deal with natural disasters due to climate change on its own because Florida just keeps letting people build in areas that should never have been built upon in the first place?  Why should the rest of the country foot that bill and pump billions into the Florida economy, in mostly wealthy low lying areas, when that money could be responsibly used in other states?

You are right about something -- you can't have it both ways! 

On a side note:  DeSatan's relevancy outside Florida is largely exaggerated, and as such, he does require extremist radical right stunts to maintain a national profile.  Its certainly not his charisma making headlines.

Edited by prahaboheme

10 hours ago, jrs2 said:

Many illegal immigrants overstay their visas. They are not all crossing the Rio Grand. 

19 hours ago, jrs2 said:

Two things....

1) Nothing at the link says anything about Biden and/or Obama shipping illegals to Florida from other states, and 

2) The chart shows the exact opposite of what you claimed. 

Screenshot-20221130-122303-2.jpg

If you'll take a look at the last column, you'll see that from 2007 to 2016, the years of Obama's two terms in office, the number of illegals not only in Florida (bottom row) but every other state on this section of the chart which registered a significant change in the total number of them, actually went DOWN.

Florida's illegal population decreased under Obama by 240,000. 

Good job Mr. President Obama.  :thumbsup: 

On 11/30/2022 at 12:35 PM, JFW657 said:

Two things....

1) Nothing at the link says anything about Biden and/or Obama shipping illegals to Florida from other states, and 

2) The chart shows the exact opposite of what you claimed. 

Screenshot-20221130-122303-2.jpg

If you'll take a look at the last column, you'll see that from 2007 to 2016, the years of Obama's two terms in office, the number of illegals not only in Florida (bottom row) but every other state on this section of the chart which registered a significant change in the total number of them, actually went DOWN.

Florida's illegal population decreased under Obama by 240,000. 

Good job Mr. President Obama.  :thumbsup: 

my point was that Florida is a border state; maybe not by foot.