LOCAL and Florida Politics

spenser1058

15 hours ago, jack said:

There was already a trend of younger people not working in high school before minimum wages started to creep up. There are a few theories but generally, those jobs are being filled by older employees who would have been working in manufacturing or other related field that no longer exists. Add to that the number of woman working now compared to 30 years ago, the teenagers are not needed like they were in the old days. And, teenagers may not want to work compared to the old days. 

I don't know what's true but  i know we would be better off if more teenagers worked as soon as they could. I started working when I was 14 and became a better man because of it. 

I don't know how long ago you graduated high school, but increasingly over the last several decades, the college admissions game has been blown out of control.  When I was in HS, only a couple of people I knew had jobs.  Most were so heavily involved in sports or extra-curriculars (usually 4+ hours per day), SAT prep, private tutoring, etc. This is on top of taking AP or Dual Enrollment courses - or other specialized curriculums - that may require 100 pages of reading per night. Just to get into college.  The system is self-feeding, with competetive peers and families and the schools themselves feeding into the culture. 

There they go again - now the Publix dynasty is throwing money around in Georgia - including to a candidate who said she was proud to be “to the right of Atilla the Hun”. Way to go, Publix *sigh*

https://m.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2021/01/06/publix-heir-dumped-over-100000-into-georgia-senate-races-documents-show

From Orlando Weekly 

The good news is that the sway of Donald “Sedition” Trump and his family is likely to be greatly reduced as a result of losing in Georgia this week and the despicable siege of the Capitol on Wednesday.

The bad news is that they are likely to retain an iron grip on Florida’s Republican Party now that the clan is all moving down.

Georgia’s looking better and better (I wonder how the beaches are?)...

https://amp.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/article248350915.html?__twitter_impression=true

From The Miami Herald 
Edited by spenser1058

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

It seems The Donald’s deadly Wednesday blunder has led to an exodus of registered Republicans in at least two Florida counties:

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/393474-republican-voters-abandoning-the-party-in-pinellas-pasco-after-wednesday-capitol-siege

From Florida Politics 

I guess they're more ethical than liberal voters who saw nothing wrong when they rioted for months.

Former Miami mayor Manny Diaz (not the football coach, that’s his so) will be the new Chair of the Florida Democratic Party.

He’s a bit of an establishment type but he is well-connected and it’s going to have to be “all hands on deck” to fix the mess the state’s Democratic Party is in.

Most importantly (and why I chose to support him) is that as we do triage for our many problems, fixing Miami-Dade has to be job one. To go from +30 with Hillary to +7 with Joe is absurd. 

Yes, COVID was a factor, but given the county is the linchpin of Democratic efforts to win here, it has to be the priority.

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/393684-manny-diaz-to-chair-florida-democratic-party

From Florida Politics 

On 1/8/2021 at 7:56 PM, orange87 said:

I guess they're more ethical than liberal voters who saw nothing wrong when they rioted for months.

Maybe its because they did not see a bunch of rioters this summer waving Biden flags while they sieged a federal building while congress was in session. Oh, and replaced the American flag with Biden flags. But I am not a liberal so you would have to ask one why they did not and do not identify with the rioters and looters from this summer. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jack said:

Maybe its because they did not see a bunch of rioters this summer waving Biden flags while they sieged a federal building while congress was in session. Oh, and replaced the American flag with Biden flags. But I am not a liberal so you would have to ask one why they did not and do not identify with the rioters and looters from this summer. 

The flaw in @orange87's assumption, is that the rioters were liberals or that liberals supported the rioting. 

I am a "moderate liberal" and denounced the rioting as many did. But the rioting and the protests (which I also disagreed with for other reasons) were separate entities. There actually were peaceful protests. The rioting, looting and burning was done by people who had no interest in the protest. And there are sources which have reported that the local police departments in the affected cities had credible intel that much of the violence was fomented by far right-wing and white supremacist agitators.

https://docs.house.gov/meetings/JU/JU00/20200610/110775/HHRG-116-JU00-20200610-SD019.pdf

But I have seen on several occasions that it is a popular propaganda tool by conservatives, to call the rioters "liberals" or to tie them to the left, even though it's highly likely that most of the average street level thugs who let themselves get caught up in it, have no political leanings or even any knowledge of or interests in politics to begin with.

4 hours ago, JFW657 said:

The flaw in @orange87's assumption, is that the rioters were liberals or that liberals supported the rioting. 

I am a "moderate liberal" and denounced the rioting as many did. But the rioting and the protests (which I also disagreed with for other reasons) were separate entities. There actually were peaceful protests. The rioting, looting and burning was done by people who had no interest in the protest. And there are sources which have reported that the local police departments in the affected cities had credible intel that much of the violence was fomented by far right-wing and white supremacist agitators.

https://docs.house.gov/meetings/JU/JU00/20200610/110775/HHRG-116-JU00-20200610-SD019.pdf

But I have seen on several occasions that it is a popular propaganda tool by conservatives, to call the rioters "liberals" or to tie them to the left, even though it's highly likely that most of the average street level thugs who let themselves get caught up in it, have no political leanings or even any knowledge of or interests in politics to begin with.

It takes an extreme level of delusion to say the BLM and ANTIFA rioters are "secretly Trump supporters." Isn't that just so convenient? Here, let me play. I think the people who stormed the Capitol were secretly Biden supporters. Isn't this so fun?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, orange87 said:

It takes an extreme level of delusion to say the BLM and ANTIFA rioters are "secretly Trump supporters." Isn't that just so convenient? Here, let me play. I think the people who stormed the Capitol were secretly Biden supporters. Isn't this so fun?

I sourced a link to a from the official site of the US House of Representatives to back up my assertions. 

Where is the link to your source to back up yours?

Oh wait... there is no source for your assertions, because you were just spouting tit-for-tat nonsense.

Thanks for playing.

5 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I sourced a link to a from the official site of the US House of Representatives to back up my assertions. 

Oh wait... there is no source for your assertions, because you were just spouting tit-for-tat nonsense.

Thanks for playing.

Matt Gaetz was actively trying to blame Wednesday on Antifa. The funny thing is, unlike Qanon or Proud Boys there isn’t any organized outfit named Antifa. It exists on right-wing media.

Our other note for today. More cops died from the attack on Wednesday afternoon than in all the BLM protests. I’ll let you make your own conclusions who’s supporting Law and Order.

Meanwhile, back to the fine folks at Kansas City born-and-bred Hallmark, who are quite done with Sens. Hawley and Marshall. A true Hallmark moment!

”When you care enough to send the very best.”

2 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Thanks for playing.

The Democrat-run House of Representatives that impeached Trump led by Nancy Pelosi said BLM and ANTIFA is "secretly Trump supporters." Sounds legit.

59 minutes ago, orange87 said:

The Democrat-run House of Representatives that impeached Trump led by Nancy Pelosi said BLM and ANTIFA is "secretly Trump supporters." Sounds legit.

Which stories are reported on the House.gov website has nothing to do with which party is in control. 

Nice try, though.

Not really. 

It was weak.

Just now, JFW657 said:

Which stories are reported on the House.gov website has nothing to do with which party is in control. 

Nice try, though.

Not really. 

It was weak.

And if our dear leaders told us the moon is made of cheese, would you believe it? If you actually believe BLM and ANTIFA are Trump supporters then you are exactly what the quote "only idiots argue with idiots" was created for.

Just now, orange87 said:

And if our dear leaders told us the moon is made of cheese, would you believe it? If you actually believe BLM and ANTIFA are Trump supporters then you are exactly what the quote "only idiots argue with idiots" was created for.

I never said anything of the sort, but then again you know that.

What I said was that right-wing agitators (who had nothing to do with BLM or ANTIFA) were the ones stoking the violence, They did so in order to negatively influence public opinion against the protesters.

But in typical rwnj fashion, you just twisted my words out of sheer desperation because you cannot defend the clowns you count yourself among.

You are exactly what the quote "Never roll around in the mud with a pig because you just get dirty and the pig likes it."

Hence, you can continue this discussion on your own, Arnold.

15 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I never said anything of the sort, but then again you know that.

What I said was that right-wing agitators (who had nothing to do with BLM or ANTIFA) were the ones stoking the violence, They did so in order to negatively influence public opinion against the protesters.

But in typical rwnj fashion, you just twisted my words out of sheer desperation because you cannot defend the clowns you count yourself among.

You are exactly what the quote "Never roll around in the mud with a pig because you just get dirty and the pig likes it."

Hence, you can continue this discussion on your own, Arnold.

I don't care about the other nonsense you said. But this last sentence intrigued me. Why did you call me Arnold? Do you think that's what my name is?

7 minutes ago, orange87 said:

I don't care about the other nonsense you said. But this last sentence intrigued me. Why did you call me Arnold? Do you think that's what my name is?

Nope.

It was a 60's TV reference that has a connection to the previous sentence.

Edited by JFW657
  • Haha 1

St. Pete is exploding with candidates for mayor this year as incumbent Rick Kriseman is term-limited. There’s even a student running! That’s right, the city once known as “God’s waiting room” is getting more interest from young folks than we have in the last 18 years.

Think about what a snooze fest Orlando mayoral races are by comparison.

Maybe as so many on UP are convinced, Buddy walks on water and is the reincarnation of Abe Lincoln. If so, it sure would help if he’d sit out a term so we can get new ideas in play here. Then, he can come back and deliver us to the Promised Land.

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/394347-darden-rice-officially-in-st-pete-mayoral-race

From Florida Politics 
Edited by spenser1058

Jacksonville is gearing up for a spirited and competitive mayoral race in 2023 (what a novel concept! sure wish we’d have one of those). Interestingly, it looks like one of the top issues will be climate change.

This is definitely not your grandfather’s River City. Instead, they’re thinking about the things that make cities move forward and prosper instead of stagnating.

https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/mayoral-candidate-carlucci-and-tackling-climate-change/ 

From The Jaxson 

Now that you-know-who will be sent packing in 5 days, the folks at The Lincoln Project aren’t closing up shop after their success.

Instead, they’re expanding their efforts and look who’s in their sights but Florida’s Rick “Medicare Fraud” Scott:

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/395567-rick-scott-coup

From Florida Politics 

It couldn’t happen to an, ahem, nicer guy. I mean, the same guy that gave Florida a rigged unemployment system, invested in companies he had contracts awarded to, eviscerated our environmental protections leading to one of the largest red tide blooms in our history. That’s (someone’s) Rick!
  • Like 1

On 1/11/2021 at 5:20 PM, spenser1058 said:

Oh, I like this. It seems the Repubs may have to make Rick Scott step down from his role at NRSC because corporations won’t want to give him any money for being a bad, bad boy after last Wednesday’s failed putsch. Bad, Rick. Bad!

Putsch?  Haha.

8 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Now that you-know-who will be sent packing in 5 days, the folks at The Lincoln Project aren’t closing up shop after their success.

Instead, they’re expanding their efforts and look who’s in their sights but Florida’s Rick “Medicare Fraud” Scott:

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/395567-rick-scott-coup

From Florida Politics 

It couldn’t happen to an, ahem, nicer guy. I mean, the same guy that gave Florida a rigged unemployment system, invested in companies he had contracts awarded to, eviscerated our environmental protections leading to one of the largest red tide blooms in our history. That’s (someone’s) Rick!

You said rigged...like the election?

8 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Jacksonville is gearing up for a spirited and competitive mayoral race in 2023 (what a novel concept! sure wish we’d have one of those). Interestingly, it looks like one of the top issues will be climate change.

This is definitely not your grandfather’s River City. Instead, they’re thinking about the things that make cities move forward and prosper instead of stagnating.

https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/mayoral-candidate-carlucci-and-tackling-climate-change/ 

From The Jaxson 

Competitive?  With Dominion voting machines?  Uh...ok...

On 1/13/2021 at 11:39 AM, spenser1058 said:

Should Darden Rice be elected mayor of St Pete, we’d have a lesbian mayor on each side of Tampa Bay. 

Change is good! (except in Orlando where we don’t believe in it...)

...and that's a good thing? (see mayor of the formerly civilized metropolis aka Chicago)

8 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

Putsch?  Haha.

You said rigged...like the election?

Competitive?  With Dominion voting machines?  Uh...ok...

...and that's a good thing? (see mayor of the formerly civilized metropolis aka Chicago)

As to the election, over 60 court cases, including Trump judges, have said it was not. As to the unemployment system, the GOP has acknowledged more than once it was specifically designed to make it the complete opposite of user-friendly to reduce claims of citizens.

As to the bottom line: we have the presidency, the House and the Senate. America agrees with us. Oh, btw, if the election WERE rigged, if you want a do-over, that’s fine. We’ll just redo all the races, not just the one you’re cranky about. After last Wednesday, several of your MAGA folks aren’t likely to win this time around so I’m good with it.