LOCAL and Florida Politics

spenser1058

We have posters who keep writing that “we’re really not doing anything these days that encourages more dependence on tourism”. Au contraire. As the Sentinel notes, Orange County Mayor Jerry Demings is pondering the 12-year extension of a tax diversion that will send an additional $250 million to I-Drive instead of the general fund. 

Another excuse is that “resort taxes can’t be used for anything but tourism facilities and promotion anyway because of state law,  so what does it matter”? Except that’s not true either. Counties from the Panhandle to the Keys have gotten exceptions to those rules, but OC tourism interests and their toadies in local government keep fighting changes for the county with the biggest bundle of resort taxes. Outside Florida, even places ruled by tourism like Las Vegas don’t do that anymore.

Orange County is in a mess not for the first time this century because of an over- reliance on a low-paying industry. It’s time to start moving in another direction. Today. Not at some undefined point that always keeps moving into the future.

Orange County should end I-Drive’s special tax treatment | Editorial
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/editorials/os-op-idrive-cra-editorial-orange-county-taxes-20201219-i4gnlmo3wnekday6ptwyd2y6da-story.html

Edited by spenser1058

This is what Republican leadership in Tallahassee for 22 years has gotten you. One more example of a complete lack of competence. Whether it’s total breakdowns of the unemployment or SunPass systems, total abdication on the environment, corruption on local boards or diverting taxpayer dollars to private schools that hire dropouts to teach while winking at corporations that pay no state taxes, it is horrendous.

Florida once had one of the most effective state governments in the country. Now we have a mess.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/scott-maxwell-commentary/os-prem-op-florida-voucher-school-arrested-teacher-scott-maxwell-20201218-urcrmiaxjng6phju3rd45hytci-story.html

From The Sentinel 

Edited by spenser1058

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

Orlando at #35 and with a murder rate of 13.6 per 100k, beat out Miami at #58 with 9.7 murders per 100k.

We even topped Houston at #47 with a murder rate of a paltry 11.8 per 100k.

Who'd-a-thunk it??? :unsure:

And Fort Lauderdale is 52nd, Jacksonville is 41st and West Palm Beach is 9th! :tw_grimace:

I wonder if Miami improved so much because lots of out of state businesses and wealth are moving in the Miami area.

Edited by orange87

1 minute ago, JFW657 said:

I guess that along with Orlando's high rate might indicate that Miami's thugs have been migrating north. 

I read somewhere that all the vermin alternate between Orlando and Miami every decade or so. I guess it's our turn now. Aren't we so lucky to be hosts to these special guests?

I lived near I-Drive from 2009-2012. I only witnessed one major crime incident my whole time living in Orlando. Some guy did a drive-by-shooting on the apartment a couple doors down from mine. I went outside the next morning and saw a car full of bullet holes.

Edited by orange87

This hasn’t been able to make it through the Legislature yet but hopefully it will this year or it will be time to add it to the state’s constitution. Save the beaches!

https://m.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2020/12/21/florida-lawmakers-will-consider-proposal-to-ban-smoking-on-beaches-and-in-parks

From The Orlando Weekly 

Add OC DEC head Wes Hodge to the list of those running to (finally?) fix Florida’s Democratic Party:

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/390274-orange-county-democratic-chair-wes-hodge-enters-state-chair-contest

From Florida Politics 

Former Miami mayor Manny Diaz is believed to be the front runner for the post. Hopefully if he wins, he’ll have more success than his son’s having as Head Coach at Da U...

Edited by spenser1058

35 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Add OC DEC head Wes Hodge to the list of those running to (finally?) fox Florida’s Democratic Party:

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/390274-orange-county-democratic-chair-wes-hodge-enters-state-chair-contest

From Florida Politics 

Former Miami mayor Manny Diaz is believed to be the front runner for the post. Hopefully if he wins, he’ll do have more success than his son’s having as Head Coach at Da U...

At least he admits Florida is a red state. 

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

If you voted for Rick Scott, please send back your $600 when it arrives. He voted against the bill. Better yet, give it to one of the college students struggling to get by who won’t be getting a check thanks to the Republicans.

Do we get to keep the $3000 (plus interest) of tax dollars that they are taking, on average, from each taxpayer, in order to pay for this $600 check if we send it back?

5 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

If you voted for Rick Scott, please send back your $600 when it arrives. He voted against the bill. Better yet, give it to one of the college students struggling to get by who won’t be getting a check thanks to the Republicans.

Why did he vote against it? If it was because $600 is too little then I agree with him.

1 hour ago, orange87 said:

Why did he vote against it? If it was because $600 is too little then I agree with him.

No, Sen Scott didn't think any stimulus checks should be sent out to anyone due to the impact on the deficit. The deficit did not seem to enter his thinking during the tax cut discussion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

No, Sen Scott didn't think any stimulus checks should be sent out to anyone due to the impact on the deficit. The deficit did not seem to enter his thinking during the tax cut discussion.

Ironically this bill did include a large number of tax cuts/credits as well. But this graph explains why some people are now getting scared:

Wessel_chart2_Public_Debt.png

At what point do we start getting scared of the deficit? Let me point out this isn't a partisan issue: it passed 359-53  in the house and 92-6 in the senate

Edited by aent

1 minute ago, aent said:

Ironically this bill did include a large number of tax cuts/credits as well. But this graph explains why some people are now getting scared:

Wessel_chart2_Public_Debt.png

I 100% agree with the graph (not that I'm in position to disagree).  And I agree with the idea we are about to encounter a massive deficit. I was commenting on Mr. Scott's view on why he voted a certain way.

My personal perspective is the country is up against a WWII level event and we need to be prepared to go heavily in debt to see the other side. The next 2 years will be about "smart" spending, but getting dollars into the public pocket will be essential.

I rather like this - Nancy’s gonna bring it to UC in the House tomorrow and we’ll see if this is just empty posturing by the GOP again. They really should get their story straight.

Bottom line: We get the $2000 that keeps the economy afloat or the good folks of Georgia get to see how vapid  the word of the GOP is. Win -win.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Thanks 1

Democratic Sen. Linda Stewart (one of OC’s most valuable politicians both in the county and the state) is proposing (once again) that the private schools the GOP is siphoning taxpayer funds to support actually meet the same standards as the public schools. What a novel concept!

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/390575-linda-stewarts-bill-would-increase-standards-for-private-schools

From Florida Politics 

14 hours ago, orange87 said:

Given Rick Scott's history, especially his refusal to accept Medicaid Expansion under the ACA, I seriously doubt he would ever be against something like that because it was not enough.

5 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Given Rick Scott's history, especially his refusal to accept Medicaid Expansion under the ACA, I seriously doubt he would ever be against something like that because it was not enough.

Maybe he does not think anyone employed needs a stimulus check considering the unemployment rate has stabilized in most parts of the country. Maybe he thinks boosting the unemployment would be better overall. I don't know for a fact, just projecting. 

34 minutes ago, jack said:

Maybe he does not think anyone employed needs a stimulus check considering the unemployment rate has stabilized in most parts of the country. Maybe he thinks boosting the unemployment would be better overall. I don't know for a fact, just projecting. 

Or maybe he thinks that by denying unemployed working class people what he might consider to be government sponsored charity or a free handout they didn't earn, there will be more money in the pot to hand out tax breaks to himself and is über wealthy cronies.

And like you, I  I don't know this for a fact, just projecting.  

Oh this gets better and better- His Orangeness just vetoed the defense bill, which, among other things, includes the raise for civilian DoD employees. Just think about all the bases in Georgia! They can override the veto but they have to cross The Donald to do it. The GOP is going to war with itself...