LOCAL and Florida Politics

spenser1058

5 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

As to the election, over 60 court cases, including Trump judges, have said it was not. As to the unemployment system, the GOP has acknowledged more than once it was specifically designed to make it the complete opposite of user-friendly to reduce claims of citizens.

As to the bottom line: we have the presidency, the House and the Senate. America agrees with us. Oh, btw, if the election WERE rigged, if you want a do-over, that’s fine. We’ll just redo all the races, not just the one you’re cranky about. After last Wednesday, several of your MAGA folks aren’t likely to win this time around so I’m good with it.

"America agrees with us."  who are you referring to, the MSM?

2 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Nope , both the election results and latest polling. Virtually every president gets a bump when they leave office. Guess who the exception is?

LMAO.  The latest polling?!  Done by the MSM?  C'mon, Spenser, I thought you were more wise than that.  You guys truly do still suffer from TDS.  Like the Georgia fans with SOS was the Gator head coach. 

But you're right.  Everything will go smoothly because everyone loves Sleepy Joe and his Commi counterpart.  So you're good.  

Just now, jrs2 said:

LMAO.  The latest polling?!  Done by the MSM?  C'mon, Spenser, I thought you were more wise than that.  You guys truly do still suffer from TDS.  Like the Georgia fans with SOS was the Gator head coach. 

But you're right.  Everything will go smoothly because everyone loves Sleepy Joe and his Commi counterpart.  So you're good.  

Polling is not done by the MSM, it’s done by polling firms.

9 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Now that you-know-who will be sent packing in 5 days, the folks at The Lincoln Project aren’t closing up shop after their success.

Instead, they’re expanding their efforts and look who’s in their sights but Florida’s Rick “Medicare Fraud” Scott:

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/395567-rick-scott-coup

From Florida Politics 

It couldn’t happen to an, ahem, nicer guy. I mean, the same guy that gave Florida a rigged unemployment system, invested in companies he had contracts awarded to, eviscerated our environmental protections leading to one of the largest red tide blooms in our history. That’s (someone’s) Rick!

You're rooting for establishment neo-conservatives now? Yeesh!

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

Putsch?  Haha.

You said rigged...like the election?

Competitive?  With Dominion voting machines?  Uh...ok...

Ever hear a looney right-wing conspiracy you DIDN'T embrace?

No?

Thought so.

50 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

See above question.

47 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

Ha ha ha. polling firms...like that makes it unbiased...

And again.....

We’re finally getting more of a breakdown on how Trump increased his numbers in 2020 in Florida. Some takeaways from the Democrats:

(1) Dade County was not just a loss of the Cuban community. Numbers were down for Democrats countywide which can be attributed to our lack of a ground game (due to COVID, Democrats did not go door to door as in 2016; the Republicans still did) and blatant misinformation we didn’t counter (just yesterday, Rick “Medicare Fraud” Scott told a whopper about President-elect Biden cutting a deal with Venezuela’s Maduro, which had zero basis in fact);

(2) Puerto Rican votes for the blue team in both Orlando and Tampa were up. This is a bright spot we just have to keep working to increase - turnout still has room for growth.

(3) Growth in exurban retiree communities with new Florida voters, often from the Midwest,  continues to soar. There’s probably no way to win these voters as long as the influx are folks who came of age in the Reagan era but we can work to reduce the percentages as we increase Democratic support in the urban counties (like adding Duval and Pinellas  to the blue total) and suburban ones (like Seminole).

There’s an important election year in 2022 just gearing up with races for governor, the US Senate, cabinet races and scads of legislative races. Florida is also likely to pick up two US House seats when the census is completed. With a heavy hitter (finally!) in charge of the FDP in Manny Diaz, it’s time to push back.

https://www.tampabay.com/opinion/2021/01/19/heres-what-we-learned-about-the-florida-hispanic-vote-column/

From The Tampa Bay Times 

Edited by spenser1058

An apt comparison to another Florida boondoggle - the unnecessary toll roads the  greedy Tallahassee crowd is trying to shove down our throats and the ill-fated Cross-Florida Barge Canal:

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/opinion/commentary/fl-op-com-m-cores-toll-roads-1000-friends-of-florida-20210121-dxq35y2qzjcz7op5ph56mvwmou-story.html

From The Sun-Sentinel 

Sent from ProtonMail Mobile

The Sun-Sentinel queried Palm Beach County commissioners after a RPOF official suggested PBI be renamed for The Donald. Five of the seven said “no”; two did not respond. So we’re good there.

Unfortunately, Rep. Anthony Sabatini (from Lake County *sigh*) is trying to name US 27 in the state for His Orangeness. Given the idiots in Tallahassee, this one might stick. Stay tuned.

It’s interesting in this Peter Schorsch column about the upcoming St. Pete mayoral race that it’s a place on its way to reflecting the diversity of a true top tier city.

Here in Orlando, we’re still locked into the standard issue white male model of a mayor that has been the same for untold decades.

Why are other Florida cities growing up and we’re going the other way?

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/397948-current-crop-of-st-pete-mayoral-candidates-leaves-lane-open-for-a-moderate-to-run

From Florida Politics 

What’s really crazy is that Pinellas County is only now becoming blue while here in Orange we’re approaching a majority-minority population and are one of the bluest second-tier communities in the nation.
Why are our leaders so out of sync with the reality of the place?

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

It’s interesting in this Peter Schorsch column about the upcoming St. Pete mayoral race that it’s a place on its way to reflecting the diversity of a true top tier city.

Here in Orlando, we’re still locked into the standard issue white male model of a mayor that has been the same for untold decades.

Why are other Florida cities growing up and we’re going the other way?

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/397948-current-crop-of-st-pete-mayoral-candidates-leaves-lane-open-for-a-moderate-to-run

From Florida Politics 

What’s really crazy is that Pinellas County is only now becoming blue while here in Orange we’re approaching a majority-minority population and are one of the bluest second-tier communities in the nation.
Why are our leaders so out of sync with the reality of the place?

This post is a great example of why I refuse to side with "the modern left." As a white male, when part of a group's platform includes b*tching about white males and talking about how we need to be "cut down to size" so everyone else can catch up you instantly lose me.

Edited by orange87
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, orange87 said:

This post is a great example of why I refuse to side with "the modern left." As a white male, when part of a group's platform includes b*tching about white males and talking about how we need to be "cut down to size" so everyone else can catch up you instantly lose me.

lol Peter Schorsch is not part of “the modern left”. Good try, though.

Funny thing about that - there are more white nationalist, white supremacist  groups across the nation than for any other group. Further, those groups are more violent. They also control one of the major political parties (don’t believe me?take a look at the delegates at any of the Republican National Conventions and see just how “pale” the crowd is).

Take a look at how the votes break down.

Also, I bet you’ve never heard of “black flight” but “white flight” is a well-known term in planning circles. Speaking of which, did you know DeBary is 90.68% white?

Ever been down Division Ave. in Orlando? Do you want to guess which side was “dividing” who could be on which side of the line after a certain time of day?

As recently as the last decade, we had elected officials in office here that had been a member of a “violent identity politics” group. Do you think they were members of the Black Panthers or the KKK?

One city in Orange County had a massacre that kept one race from living there for 75 years. Do you suppose it was white folks who were afraid to live there?

Also, people of color aren’t the ones trying to suppress votes across the country- it’s all for white folks.

If you want to do something about “identity politics”, you’ll want to start with your side. As soon as you take care of that, get back to me. We’ll be glad to have you with so everyone gets a fair shot.

Edited by spenser1058

2 hours ago, orange87 said:

25 minutes ago, orange87 said:

I was referring to the crusade against white males in general which is a major component of the modern left. I have no idea who he is, nor do I care.

Hey look..... you and I actually agree on something.

The idea that all elected officials MUST BE SOMETHING OTHER THAN heterosexual, white and male is every bit as disturbing as the idea that they CANNOT BE ANYTHING BUT heterosexual, white and male.

When we start making sexual preference, skin color and gender a litmus test for suitability for public office, we've become just as bad as those who used to make sexual preference, skin color and gender a litmus test for suitability for public office. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Funny thing about that - there are more white nationalist, white supremacist  groups across the nation than for any other group. Further, those groups are more violent. They also control one of the major political parties (don’t believe me?take a look at the delegates at any of the Republican National Conventions and see just how “pale” the crowd is.

Take a look at how the votes break down.

Also, people of color aren’t the ones trying to suppress votes across the country- it’s all for white folks.

If you want to do something about “identity politics”, you’ll want to start with your side. As soon as you take care of that, get back to me. We’ll be glad to have you with so everyone gets a fair shot.

What has any of that got to do with making sexual preference, skin color and gender a litmus test for suitability for public office?

Is it OK to do that AGAINST a particular group in FAVOR of another as long as they meet certain criteria?

Saying that Orlando is backwards because our Mayor is a straight, white male and as such, he should be replaced at the ballot box with a non-white, LGBTQ unspecified gender identity or whatever it's called these days person, regardless of qualifications, is just plain wrong. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Hey look..... you and I actually agree on something.

The idea that all elected officials MUST BE SOMETHING OTHER THAN heterosexual, white and male is every bit as disturbing as the idea that they CANNOT BE ANYTHING BUT heterosexual, white and male.

When we start making sexual preference, skin color and gender a litmus test for suitability for public office, we've become just as bad as those who used to make sexual preference, skin color and gender a litmus test for suitability for public office. 

Excuse me, but would you like to see the numbers of how many straight white males are in elected office and compare that to any other group? I’ll be happy to wait while you get those numbers...