Vantage South End - 1100 S Tryon

KJHburg

3 minutes ago, Rufus said:

Austin has four of the five. St. Regis is really the outlier because it is supposed to be the upper echelon of luxury. Nashville might bump up there after the Four Seasons is built. 

Two cities who's citizens and state/local governments have invested heavily into tourism, live music, and the convention industry.  Also doesn't hurt that they are state capitals :'(

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

I was thinking the same thing lol...no one.  ATL prob is the most comparable market to us that has a lot of those brands mentioned above, but def not smaller.  CLT punches well above it's weight in a lot of things and although I've always thought we needed more upper tiered hotels, we have added a few recently and more to come.  I wish we could get more high-end specialty/boutique-y hotels like The Ivey though.  A Southend Kimpton would do extremely well.

Austin, Texas has more than you.  It's metro is smaller.  City is bigger.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

In towns that are heavily invested in tourism and/or the convention industry. By your metric, "smaller markets." we should be crying that Charlotte doesn't have as many convention hotels as Las Vegas.

image.thumb.png.d586b716bec133a9a4f9af1c61ce1f47.png

Austin trails Charlotte in both yet has had no issue bringing luxury brands to the city. And that exceeds far beyond hotels. 

2 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

Austin trails Charlotte in both yet has had no issue bringing luxury brands to the city. And that exceeds far beyond hotels. 

And greatly exceeds in reasons to visit, in every single way. SXSW, Colleges/Universities, a burgeoning music scene, dining/bar scene. Its mild/warm all year round. Its big for Bachelorette Parties. Lots of reasons for high end brands.

Austin has a “burgeoning” music scene?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin_City_Limits

Austin City Limits (ACL) is an American public television music program recorded live in Austin, Texas, by Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) member television station KLRU, and broadcast on many PBS stations around the United States. The show helped Austin to become widely known as the "Live Music Capital of the World",[1] and is the only television show to receive the National Medal of Arts, which it was awarded in 2003. It also won a rare institutional Peabody Award in 2011 "for its more than three decades of presenting and preserving eclectic American musical genres."

Edited by Matthew.Brendan
  • Like 1

I think my contention here is just that burgeoning seems to denote a new success, while I’ve know Austin to be the “live music capital of the world” for my entire life. 
Nashville is more just an industry town where you do the dirty deeds of business. 

Haha, it’s definitely still getting bigger. But I get your point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I know what’s behind it. It’s more about this is really the way the opted to screen/integrate this. It lowers the architectural integrity of otherwise beautiful buildings.

Just look at DFA... they had the perfect facade type to just have false front of it go up 1/1.5 floors higher to screen the mechanicals. Added bonus of making the building taller also.

ddaa4aba2e547cb8700fc2a4bb52d73a.jpg

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, navigator319 said:

I know what’s behind it. It’s more about this is really the way the opted to screen/integrate this. It lowers the architectural integrity of otherwise beautiful buildings.

Just look at DFA... they had the perfect facade type to just have false front of it go up 1/1.5 floors higher to screen the mechanicals. Added bonus of making the building taller also.

I see what you're saying now, and that's a good point.   I guess I'll add that the cost of spandrel/glass to continue the perimeter of the building up vs a screen wall set within the footprint of the roof  would be considerably more.   EDIT: But I do agree with what you're saying. 

Edited by CLT-704
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, lancer22 said:

The parking deck looks gigantic :(

it is gigantic. 11 floors.  I'd say 60% off it has windows on it, the rest is architectural screening. It seems to be almost all gray masonry.

image.thumb.png.91d042610c3b88d5e5d205fd2ea30bdf.png

image.thumb.png.420003ac55f30bf09bc5fdac8a758a15.png

image.thumb.png.9b337edc86c09cfb165919f8f634ed44.png

image.thumb.png.95fca25177937c84ee3bf8f32e1afdec.png

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

image.thumb.png.c1ff4f0ff120e675dad8f50606eb2df1.png

@SydneyCarton will be THRILLED, I count FIVE water features/fountains.

51 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

it is gigantic. 11 floors.  I'd say 60% off it has windows on it, the rest is architectural screening. It seems to be almost all gray masonry.

So an 11 story parking deck with a larger footprint than both buildings combined?? Am I missing something, or are they really building a larger parking deck than the actual buildings in one of the best locations in the city for public transit and alternative commuting forms? 

I understand the future buildings they think they need to plan for but that's disgusting.. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, JHart said:

So an 11 story parking deck with a larger footprint than both buildings combined?? Am I missing something, or are they really building a larger parking deck than the actual buildings in one of the best locations in the city for public transit and alternative commuting forms? 

I understand the future buildings they think they need to plan for but that's disgusting.. 

While I agree with you completely, my guess is in order to lure a hotelier they have to provide dedicated parking specifically for the hotel in addition to the parking for the office buildings.  Once the hotel is complete on top of the deck I think that will help hide how absolutely massive this deck is, and in turn will then be larger total occupied space vs. garage size.

EDIT:  Looking back at the elevation plans, I notice the hotel is only on the front portion of the deck - @ricky_davis_fan_21 do you know if there is the potential to build on the back portion of the garage as a future phase?

Edited by queensguy06
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, queensguy06 said:

While I agree with you completely, my guess is in order to lure a hotelier they have to provide dedicated parking specifically for the hotel in addition to the parking for the office buildings.  Once the hotel is complete on top of the deck I think that will help hide how absolutely massive this deck is, and in turn will then be larger total occupied space vs. garage size.

EDIT:  Looking back at the elevation plans, I notice the hotel is only on the front portion of the deck - @ricky_davis_fan_21 do you know if there is the potential to build on the back portion of the garage as a future phase?

They only plan one tower up there. I think its situated toward uptown, because that would be the better views. The view is the value here, also we don't build towers that close to eachother in Charlotte. 

3 hours ago, JHart said:

Really disappointing considering it's literally a block away from the Carson station. :(

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, nicholas said:

Really disappointing considering it's literally a block away from the Carson station. :(

Without that parking, they don't get financing to build this, so thus no buildings what so ever. 

Without parking, they don't attract Lending Tree, a place that formerly had offices at Ballantyne, South Park and Fort Mill, people are going to need to drive here, so thus, no buildings what so ever.

I am super pro urban, anti car, anti parking, but I'm also realistic. We do not have a nearly robust enough of a transit system, or temperate enough of a climate, to expect corporate people will chose mass transit over cars. I do not own a car, I commute only by train, and let me tell you, during NYC summers, I sweat straight through my clothes, I can only imagine doing it in Charlotte. 

Edited by Guest