Economic Development - Expansions and Relocations

J-Rob

15 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Not sure but probably took some of their floors as they had like 7 or 8 in that building.  

this is a great win for Charlotte and uptown and our office market.  We need to diversify our uptown office market and a firm like this growing there is great.

""Indianapolis-based Spot has expanded its uptown Charlotte footprint with plans to more than double its employee base here.

The logistics company is leasing an additional floor spanning 22,000 square feet at First Citizens Bank Plaza, at 128 S. Tryon St. Spot has leased space on two floors there since September 2021. The company's total office footprint is now 48,000 square feet.

A Spot communications representative told Charlotte Business Journal that the additional floor has 144 workstations and a new state-of-the-art training center that allows for critical training and ongoing education for its employees. Spot's 108 local employees moved into the new space earlier this week.""

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/07/13/spot-logistics-expands-uptown-office-space-hiring.html

Look at their Charlotte office and looks like they took some of Passport's space near the top

https://spotinc.com/locations/

With absolutely no evidence to make this assumption, I feel like WFH has opened the door for the more traditional "suburban" office users (i.e. logistics) to enter the uptown office market. 

Spot just seems like someone that would have ended up over in Coliseum 5 years ago, not uptown . I would assume nice leases are driving it or I could be completely wrong, who knows.

• Like 3

New London based software firm opening US headquarters in Charlotte small to start out with but with lots of growth in mind.

""London-based management software firm Rocketseed has chosen Charlotte for its U.S. headquarters.

The company moved earlier this year into a small office at Venture X, which is located at Toringdon Office Park in south Charlotte. Rocketseed CEO Damian Hamp-Adams said the office currently has four local employees with plans to hire at least two more by the end of the year.   Rocketseed looked at office spaces in South End and SouthPark but ultimately decided that Toringdon met its needs for the time being, Hamp-Adams said. The company plans to stay put for at least the next 18 months before it begins to look at expansion to a more permanent office space.   The company also operates an office in California, but Hamp-Adams said the decision to make Charlotte its U.S. hub was an easy one. Factors like the city's rapid growth, access to the airport and talent pool all affected the decision-making process. He said Nashville, Tennessee, and Tampa, Florida, were also in the running.""

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/07/20/rocketseed-us-headquarters-toringdon-office-park.html

• Like 4

On 7/14/2023 at 2:30 PM, RANYC said:

This right here ☝️

while “perimeter” office parks will try to create an amenity-laden context  to compete, they don’t get local government as a partner in this in the same way.  Charlotte has created a critical mass of regional attractions targeting professionals in its city center: pro sports venues, arts & culture venues.  I’d add The Pearl to that too, a sort of intensive think tank bringing thousands of surgeons to get trained here annually.  TOD zoning is driving the extraordinary apartment boom which will create the energy of additional residential clustering, and given all this, B’tyne is a bit of a lonely island.  I think B’tyne is certain viable and has a niche to fill, but for a newcomer to town, center city wins.  

Ballentyne is essentially Atlanta's Perimeter- the center of the northern (in this case southern) suburbs. Charlotte has an attraction to the north for residential, which Atlanta doesn't have in Lake Norman, so it might actually have 2 "perimeter" business districts at some point, and the airport/river district to the West, but also is 40+ years behind Atlanta in terms of growth. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Ballentyne is essentially Atlanta's Perimeter- the center of the northern (in this case southern) suburbs. Charlotte has an attraction to the north for residential, which Atlanta doesn't have in Lake Norman, so it might actually have 2 "perimeter" business districts at some point, and the airport/river district to the West, but also is 40+ years behind Atlanta in terms of growth. 

Being behind Atlanta implies we're on the same track, and I hope we're not.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, RANYC said:

Being behind Atlanta implies we're on the same track, and I hope we're not.  

This isn’t a loaded question or anything. Just curious, which metropolitan area / city do you think Charlotte is on a similar track to? Or is it just too unique of a track? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

This isn’t a loaded question or anything. Just curious, which metropolitan area / city do you think Charlotte is on a similar track to? Or is it just too unique of a track? 

I'll jump in and say Charlotte reminds me of a smaller version of Houston, TX.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, kermit said:

We spend lots of time on UP talking about differences between cities but the only real differemce between them  is the number of token walkable districts that get sprinkled around the edges of their respective downtowns. Whats worse is these districts are increasingly reserved for the wealthy and childless.

Totally agree, and as a young person this is why I'll probably be moving somewhere like Chicago where I can actually afford to own my own place in a neighborhood that doesn't require car travel to get by.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

13 hours ago, CLTranspo said:

Totally agree, and as a young person this is why I'll probably be moving somewhere like Chicago where I can actually afford to own my own place in a neighborhood that doesn't require car travel to get by.

Find a city/neighborhood where the mail is delivered on foot. Old style with a bag or that three wheeled cart. Sometimes due to narrow streets. Usually a dense enough area that driving and parking is inefficient. That style is normally called park and loop. Even in Dilworth there is park and loop. This walking delivery can be in a small dense town, not only large cities,

• Like 2

There are neighborhoods where you can easily live without a car as others have said and more so here than in an Austin or Nashville.   Like NoDa, Villa Heights, right around University Place,  all along the South Blvd corridor from uptown to southend to Loso to down by arrowood.  We have a Whole Foods right on the LYNX plus other grocery stores in most of these other neighborhoods.    And Charlotte is a lot more affordable than these bigger cities mentioned.  If you want a moderate cost of living and extensive rail system look into Dallas.   But Charlotte is a good choice in this region other than maybe Atlanta. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I agree with what everyone is saying, and appreciate everyone’s comments. For me, there just aren’t any affordable condos/homes available to BUY in these areas. But agree, I like these areas and what Charlotte is growing towards, and have been pretty happy renting here. I just can’t justify the cost of purchasing housing in these areas vs the amount of walkability/urban amenities available NOW (not in 10 years)..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Blue_Devil said:

I mean, between Dilworth, SouthEnd, LoSo, Uptown, and Wilmore… that is a huge walk able chunk of city. To me Nashville doesn’t have that, Austin doesn’t have it, Atlanta has golf carts, Tampa doesn’t have it, Orlando doesn’t have it, Jacksonville is a no, Fort Lauderdale is a no.

I suspect in 10 years between the gold district, pipe and foundry, west end, and the optimist area all growing rapidly, NODA and Plaza will be much better connected, and maybe with the growth on Morehead Mid town will be too.

Now public transit, specifically buses, will really need to improve, but you are fooling yourself if you don’t think 100,000 people living in a very walkable 2 mile radius of the city center isn’t impressive for one of these Growing southern cities.

yes there is a ton of sprawl in Charlotte, but there is also about to be a super dense core here, that is really only found in your bigger Northern and Midwest areas

As of 2021, uptown has a population of 18,300 people. I’m pretty sure the 2-mile radius is closer to 36,000 in 2021. Not 100,000.

Center City Partners 2021 State of the Center City is the source. Or just add up the zip code populations. 

IMG_0531.thumb.jpeg.d25d6bc9234231be7f21f9b46af6416d.jpeg

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1