Economic Development - Expansions and Relocations

J-Rob

1 hour ago, DCMetroRaleigh said:

Rowan County really is booming with industrial projects.

We are seeing developers buy land up and down the interstate corridors in the Southeast. Along I-85, Mecklenburg is approaching full. Cabarrus has limited available land... and MAJOR sewer capacity issues (and will years from now with no long-term solution in sight), so the next logical county is Rowan.

Edited by ArchiCLT
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, ArchiCLT said:

and MAJOR sewer capacity issues (and will years from now with no long-term solution in sight), so the next logical county is Rowan.

What are the major sewer capacity issues in Cabarrus? And why can’t this be remedied? 

12 hours ago, Crucial_Infra said:

What are the major sewer capacity issues in Cabarrus? And why can’t this be remedied? 

they are being remedied now and for industrial job creating projects they will allocate sewer for in the county.  It is just massive amounts of new houses that has been slowed but not stopped.  The expansion of the sewer treatment plant should be done in a year.   However the city of Concord and Kannapolis have sewer capacity for new industry.  Warehouse development in Rowan has taken off due to cheaper and more available land than along I-85 in Cabarrus.  

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

they are being remedied now and for industrial job creating projects they will allocate sewer for in the county.  It is just massive amounts of new houses that has been slowed but not stopped.  The expansion of the sewer treatment plant should be done in a year.   However the city of Concord and Kannapolis have sewer capacity for new industry.  Warehouse development in Rowan has taken off due to cheaper and more available land than along I-85 in Cabarrus.  

Reminds me of Alamance County, and Stafford County north of Fredericksburg 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Phase 3 might be done within a year but the next phase is 2027+ and that is already allocated to active projects, further development is going to need to wait for additional expansion that is just now beginning master planning so you're looking into 2030 and beyond. Kannapolis might have openings in the business parks it set aside for sewer but not new industrial sites. They publish all of this information including a waiting list of projects that do not have sewer capacity so I'm not sure where you are getting information that they are ready for new industry...

• Like 1

First phase of the expansion of the Cabarrus sewer treatment plant comes online this year. 

Rocky River Facility Expansion — WSACC

the county is not courting water-intensive industries but there is the capacity for new industry and the county's view is that they dont want a lot warehouse distribution projects taking up a lot sewer capacity as they do not create as many jobs.  Source Cabarrus EDC meetings I have attended and discussions with the county manager staff. 

New residential development has slowed but you would not know it from driving around Cabarrus County especially in Harrisburg and Concord. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

First phase of the expansion of the Cabarrus sewer treatment plant comes online this year. 

Rocky River Facility Expansion — WSACC

the county is not courting water-intensive industries but there is the capacity for new industry and the county's view is that they dont want a lot warehouse distribution projects taking up a lot sewer capacity as they do not create as many jobs.  Source Cabarrus EDC meetings I have attended and discussions with the county manager staff. 

New residential development has slowed but you would not know it from driving around Cabarrus County especially in Harrisburg and Concord. 

https://www.kannapolisnc.gov/Portals/0/Departments/Planning/Documents/Wastewater Allocation Policy Exhibit A City Council Adopted February 28%2C 2022.pdf

It's already allocated....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

From the Triangle Biz Journal about economic development in Wake County and then they mention the state's efforts.

""It's a similar story at the state level, says Christopher Chung, CEO of the state's chief recruiting agency, the Economic Development Partnership of North Carolina. Statewide, active projects sit at 242, representing the potential for 52,000 new jobs and $46 billion in investment, Chung says. While the number of active projects is slightly down from a month ago and the potential jobs shrank by 17 percent, the state is competing for roughly the same amount of capital investment in its pipeline.

Office activity, specifically, is far from its pre-Covid levels, but Chung said his team is at three consecutive months of seeing new projects involving office users, including three headquarters deals opened in April.

"Here's hoping this is the beginning of a small resurgence in office projects, especially since those are the deals that Wake, Durham and Mecklenburg counties most often compete for," he said.""

Office using relocations are slowly recovering and this is good for the 3 counties that get the most of them including Mecklenburg.    I hope we can snag one of those 3 Headquarters deals that is looking at the state.  

Companies pledging 9,200 jobs eye site opportunities in the Raleigh region; office prospects still slow - Triangle Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

• Like 4