Economic Development - Expansions and Relocations

J-Rob

HBM Holdings (“HBM”) announced today it has acquired HarperLove of Charlotte, North Carolina. HarperLove, founded in 1978 and a portfolio company of Graycliff Partners, is a leading provider of specialty adhesives, performance additives and wet-strength resins to corrugated packaging manufacturers. 

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200102005092/en/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The parent of Charleston-based CresCom Bank kicked off the new year by extending its reach into the Charlotte market while also preparing to be acquired by a bigger out-of-state lender. Carolina Financial Corp. said Thursday that it finalized its $100 million purchase of Carolina Trust BancShares Inc. this week. The deal, announced last summer and financed with a combination of cash and stock, closed on New Year’s Eve, about two weeks after shareholders voted to approve it. 

Carolina Trust Bank, which was headquartered in Lincolnton, N.C., is now part of Carolina Financial’s CresCom subsidiary. The newly acquired franchise operates 11 branches and a loan office mostly in and around the Charlotte market, including Concord  and Gastonia. Two of its locations are across the border in South Carolina — in Clover and Lake Wylie.

(Paywall on the article)....(I used one of my free articles for the month :( )

https://www.postandcourier.com/business/sc-s-crescom-bank-seals-m-buyout-as-a-bigger/article_f61e7276-2d9d-11ea-9285-6b0255f5a073.html

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I wonder if SPX has outgrown its space in Ballantyne and wants to expand in SouthEnd.

Nucor might be a candidate too.

I would say neither of those.  Nucor has one of the leanest corporate offices of any Fortune 500 they do own the building they are in Southpark and there were some other tenants in there.  SPX seems content in Ballantyne.  

5 hours ago, DH17 said:

This is third or fourth hand information, but the original source is well-placed enough I figured it was worth mentioning here. I'm wondering if this is the one alluded to earlier in the fall and in the South End mid-rise thread as well.

I think it could be the company alluded above.  Remember there are some big operations in the suburbs in this town of some big companies.  Because they are not uptown or in a high rise they can get lost in the trees or lakes. 

• Like 4

What about AIG?  They were rumored to be looking for space at one point, and they are in the BB&T building uptown where Truist could probably increase their leased sq footage to backfill AIG if they left.  I am guessing a new tower and expansion in South End might be for an AIG-like company.  Financial services with corporate functions in Charlotte.  Of course, if BofA Plaza increased their rates substantially, it is also possible US Bank ends up in a new tower rather than in BofA Plaza.  Can't wait to find out.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, J-Rob said:

What about AIG?  They were rumored to be looking for space at one point, and they are in the BB&T building uptown where Truist could probably increase their leased sq footage to backfill AIG if they left.  I am guessing a new tower and expansion in South End might be for an AIG-like company.  Financial services with corporate functions in Charlotte.  Of course, if BofA Plaza increased their rates substantially, it is also possible US Bank ends up in a new tower rather than in BofA Plaza.  Can't wait to find out.

AIG isn't who I heard mentioned.

I do have reason to believe AIG is looking for more space (in Charlotte and elsewhere) since they are downsizing their New York offices, but nothing concrete or imminent that I know of.

• Like 4

Interesting as Mr. Bokhari is quite apart of this story on this company that was not even considering or even knew where Charlotte was to now the British fintech upstart  Curve  is looking at either Charlotte or NYC for a new 200 person office.

from the subscriber article in Biz Journal this afternoon

""Orson, the Curve site selection executive, credited Fran West, the city recruitment leader, and Bokhari for coordinating the company’s visit on Oct. 22. West and her boss, Dodson, outlined some general incentives guidelines of what Charlotte has provided to companies, but Orson said specifics “really don’t matter” when real estate costs are considered. She went on to say that per-square-foot rates of $85 in areas of New York the company is considering versus $33 in Charlotte likely overwhelm any other financial comparisons.The big question for Curve about Charlotte is whether a large enough pool of skilled workers can be found to get moving fast. That topic was one of several Orson and Bialick took up with Red Ventures CEO Ric Elias at an uptown breakfast meeting during their Charlotte scouting trip. Elias told me Bialick has followed up several times since with additional questions.""

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/01/14/how-charlotte-earned-its-spot-as-finalist-for-u-k.html

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

Would you consider Curve to be a "#gamechanger" as Tariq suggested?  It would be great, but not sure about game changer, unless he just means from a recruiting perspective.  I am hoping it is bigger and better than that.

Not sure but the story of how this company even came to consider Charlotte is pretty interesting indeed.   But I would take 200 jobs of a fast growing Fintech any day of the week and twice on Sunday!   But for sure they are bigger fish out there.   

• Like 4

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Interesting as Mr. Bokhari is quite apart of this story on this company that was not even considering or even knew where Charlotte was to now the British fintech upstart  Curve  is looking at either Charlotte or NYC for a new 200 person office.

from the subscriber article in Biz Journal this afternoon

""Orson, the Curve site selection executive, credited Fran West, the city recruitment leader, and Bokhari for coordinating the company’s visit on Oct. 22. West and her boss, Dodson, outlined some general incentives guidelines of what Charlotte has provided to companies, but Orson said specifics “really don’t matter” when real estate costs are considered. She went on to say that per-square-foot rates of $85 in areas of New York the company is considering versus $33 in Charlotte likely overwhelm any other financial comparisons.The big question for Curve about Charlotte is whether a large enough pool of skilled workers can be found to get moving fast. That topic was one of several Orson and Bialick took up with Red Ventures CEO Ric Elias at an uptown breakfast meeting during their Charlotte scouting trip. Elias told me Bialick has followed up several times since with additional questions.""

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/01/14/how-charlotte-earned-its-spot-as-finalist-for-u-k.html

Most fintech firms buy or lease space in NY at way over $85/sf, which is a sum that gets a company a mediocre space in a mediocre area.

Google and Facebook alone in the past year have leased millions of square feet in buildings under construction (on top of the millions they already occupy).   Apple, Amazon, and IBM are currently searching for millions more, which will further drive up the costs.

Hopefully, the cost factor will bring this company to the QC.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...