CATS Long Term Transit Plan - Silver, Red Lines

monsoon

• 3 weeks later...

Full disclosure: I am getting really tired of hearing about the NE extension and the North line get repeatedly pushed into the distant future. Part of me wonders if the delays are an intentional effort by CATS to position itself for additional revenue (such as the legislatively impossible 1/4 sales tax increment) /tin foil hat off/.

It appears to me that we are at a critical point in Charlotte's urban form. The current climate in real estate has reduced suburban growth pressures but new jobs have been spread all over (uptown jobs have taken a hit while new headquarters have selected Ballantyne and U City). Maintaining a dense core in this environment is going to require better planning (or enforcing the rules on the books) and better infrastructure (e.g. more rail options). Combining this need with the potential for transit success as evidenced by existing TOD without rail in Huntersville and Cornelius, the Southend-like potential of the 36th and Sugar creek stops, 30,000 students and staff at UNCC who pay $400 per year to park on campus, and walkable employment centers in Kannapolis and Salisbury on the not yet embryonic NE commuter route suggest to me that rail can find success if built quickly -- and it needs to be built quickly before the mass of employment in the center city erodes further.

So how do we pay for it? I am not politically savvy enough to evaluate the prospects of voting in an additional sales tax once the economy recovers (although this strategy has found success in Denver, Dallas and Salt Lake City). I would vote for it if it meant rail was running quickly.

A second strategy is being investigated in Los Angeles (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704655004575114020405190294.html?mod=WSJ_WSJ_US_News_5) where they are attempting to get the federal government to advance anticipated sales tax revenues in the form of a loan. This loan strategy is being sold as a stimulus strategy and as a cost saving strategy (based on the expectation of construction costs increasing). Negotiations between LA and the feds are conscious of the precident setting nature of the loan program (""We're not asking for special treatment for L.A., we're asking for L.A. to be a positive example for the country," said Los Angeles Chief Deputy Mayor Jay Carson.").

Long story short, we need more rail soon. The community needs to be more creative in figuring out how to pay for it.

Maybe it becomes a phased approach, with the stations past Sugar Creek being built when funding is available since that part is the most expensive (lots of flyovers and rebuilding Tryon St). It won't help U City in the short run, but it could get something happening sooner than later.

^Granted, Sugar Creek is likely the Minimum Operating Segment for a New Starts project. But the problem with phasing is having to go through the Federal New Starts process again and again. So maybe much shorter extensions are possible with other funding sources.

For example, 9th Street would be relatively inexpensive, but should still happen in conjunction with Levine and Hal Marshall redevelopment. Maybe the Uptown/Center City MSD could be used in combination with a dip into County sales tax revenue.

But the next station of Parkwood already requires some structure (bridge over CSX). You could build a temporary station lower than the future track profile between 12th and CSX to serve Alpha Mill and Optimist Park. But I can only imagine the political difficulties of then removing that for extension.

To go over and north of CSX, you could create a new MSD or use TIF on TOD along Brevard and in NoDa. However, that requires redevelopment. And once you have redevelopment, the sales tax receipts are also likely recovering, thereby helping schedule.

• 1 month later...

Eight annual Charlotte region transportation summit is tomorrow. CBJ will be live blogging it.

We might get some greater insight on where we currently stand with federal and state funding as well as the 2030/2035 plan.

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/queen_city_agenda/2010/04/transit_chiefs_tackle_regional_issues.html

In case any one hasn't read the CBJ coverage of the transportation summit I'm linking the it as well as highlighting the parts that speaks specifically about mass transit.

Please note that the conference was live blogged so read from the bottom up if you want it time ordered. I also am not quoting everything so read the full article for context.

10:05: Carolyn Flowers outlining budget woes for transit system. Tax revenue now projected to be $350 million less than anticipated over the next decade for transit. Now transit tax is at 2004 levels, costing system six years of growth, Flowers says. These issues are forcing CATS to revamp 2030 transportation plan. Priorities are "working within the realities" of economy. Focus on $1.3 billion light-rail extension, $378 million commuter rail and $450 million proposed streetcar line.

New long-term transit plan requires new assessment of revenue and viability of expansion projects.

9:55: Back in general session with Bob Morgan of the chamber and Carolyn Flowers, who became the top executive at Charlotte Area Transit System in January. CATS pushing idea "landscape may change, but vision remains the same."

8:35: KC's Mell Henderson framing transit strategy in terms of corridors and centers. Housing is a key issue going forward because of shifts toward single households from families, aging population, climate change and concerns and potential reduced mobility because of oil/gas prices and availability. Says KC "would love to have rail" similar to Lynx line in Charlotte.

8:10: Ned Curran introduces Mayor Anthony Foxx, who cites economic uncertainty and environmental concerns, as well as land use, as key reasons for discussing and improving on regional transportation. Calls it a "game-changer" and credits Martin Cramton for pushing transit-corridor approach. Foxx says lack of intentional transit and development strategy would be "at our own peril." Obama administration will award grants for transit and transportation based on regional plans, mayor says. Cites Interstate 485 construction, light-rail extension and streetcar as key building blocks. Urges innovation and streamlined funding approach.

Read more: Charlotte Business Journal: Transportation chiefs tackle issues facing Charlotte region

Edited by Urbanity

Some hope of a new pool of money to provide (some of) the state match for transit projects:

Gov. Perdue calls for $95M North Carolina Mobility Fund to help N.C. DOT

...The mobility fund could be used for many types of transportation projects, including highways, bridges, ports and transit projects....

http://charlotte.biz...20&ana=e_du_pub

^The mobility fund could pay for transit projects, but there are also many statewide highway priorities that will likely compete for this new fund as well. That's because there are many highway projects, like the Yadkin River Bridge, that rank high as statewide priorities but exceed available equity funds or will take forever to build, if relying only on those dollars.

NCDOT recently ranked completing Independence out to 485 as the second highest statewide unfunded priority (only second to I-85 about the Yadkin River). So maybe this new fund would pay for transit, but in the case of competing highway projects like Independence, the transit may be the form of BRT from Conference Drive to Sam Newell Road.

I like to be encouraged every once and a while that the plans are still moving forward despite the economy.

Observer did a little Q&A with Dana Fenton, City of Charlotte's new lobbiest - this question stuck out to me:

Q: In the city's current legislative agenda, what's the most important item for Charlotte?

All parts are important. But the premier issue is the extension of the (Lynx light-rail) Blue Line to the northeast. I'll work with Holland & Knight and the (Metropolitan Transit Commission) on that.

At this point in time, our requests have been put in to our delegation. At some point the House and Senate will come back with recommended appropriations, and hopefully there will be funding for preliminary work (on the light-rail extension.).

This piece (we have asked for) is $40 million. It's the last piece we need for our full funding grant agreement, and then we can get the money we need for the construction of the line.

Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/04/26/1398669/pitching-charlottes-interests.html#ixzz0mD88Oe27

While it has been loosely tossed around as an idea for CATS to implement, StreetFilms has a short video about bus stop consolidation for San Francisco's MUNI routes.

I think that CATS would do well to clean up some of its mainline routes, like N Tryon, Central or Monroe Rd. Consolidating stops would allow these busy routes to run more quickly and allow them to improve shelter/amenity conditions. As the so-called backbone of CATS, I'd like to see "local route improvements and upgrades" play a more significant role in their transit plans.

Interesting idea about the consolidating bus stops.

I don't know about other routes as I've only ridden the bus to UNC Charlotte though that route could possibly eliminate at least half of the Uptown stops and perhaps 1-2 of the University City stops being eliminated with little effect on availability to passengers.

I agree with the point that as buses are the backbone of the mass transit network that there needs to be some serious thought and tuning of that system. Hopefully with Carolyn Flowers coming from a very big bus background we will see some innovation.

Edited by Urbanity

While sifting through the April 28 meeting agenda for CATS, I came across a line in their projected capital expenditures section which specifically mentions "Southeast LRT" as one of the corridors and says nothing about BRT. Could this be an indicator that CATS may ax the BRT plan in favor of LRT for Independence...I hope so.

The MTC voted to approve at $.25 fare hike starting July 1, raising fares to $1.75. They also approved the discontinuation of the Charlotte Trolley.

In three years, fares have gone up nearly 46% from $1.20 in 2007. Hopefully this will mean minimal service cuts and a stronger financial position for CATS when sales tax revenue bounces back.

I wonder if saying Southeast is LRT would help the projected timetable in these challenged financial times. That it is to say, as long as LRT remains on the table for Southeast, I think it's better understood, that Southeast will definitely follow North and Northeast. But if BRT was committed for Southeast, then there would be pressure to build a Southeast transit line in the near future.

So while some may view MTC as finally giving in to public opinion, I think they're being strategic. Granted, they may be setting up stronger support of an additional tax levy. But even if revenues don't change, saying LRT is a smart delay tactic. The catch to LRT is an opening date easily beyond 2025. The 2030 System Plan even had Southeast as waiting until 2024 for full completion. And MUMPO's new LRTP says by 2035.

As someone living within walking distance of the Southeast Corridor, I must say, I do like trains, but I'm not that patient. With the next section of Independence to be widened actually including the space for two stations, I'd very much like to see a BRT project that also retrofitted existing Independence for two to three more stations, all for a BRT line from Uptown to Conference to be up and running within five years.

Sure, such a significant project could still risk local matching funds for the higher cost projects promised to North Towns and the University. But that's why you better believe most in greater Mecklenburg are happy for Eastsiders to sit it out, if promised trains.

• 2 weeks later...

I think they've already got their delay tactics down. First, they have to wait for Independence to have a transitway. That was supposed to be within the next 5 years, but now they are delaying it to study a superstreet. The superstreet would actually eliminate the plans for a dedicated transit lanes and would dramatically effect the planned transit lines.

Also, the southeast neighborhoods seem okay with being the last as long as they get LRT, and they seemed to hope during the political fight a few years that BRT would be delayed a while in hopes that it would fall out of favor in a decade.

Frankly, I am not sure how they can increase the long range plan budget when otherwise they seem to be cutting things due to low revenue.

I saw something on wbtv's web site last week regarding the Independence road plan. IIRC they said the road plan was not changing which I am assuming means that it will still be an expressway, and thus still keeping the center transit lanes.

On a separate note, I went through budgetary documents from the month prior and they also listed Southeast LRT as an item but said nothing regarding BRT. Maybe the SE will get LRT after all...Can't say I would be unhappy about that.

Edited by cltbwimob

According to MUMPO's website, another two miles of Independence will be converted into expressway with median-running transitway. And this time, the median is actually designed for transit, including space for stations and bypass lanes (which is really only needed for BRT). Past sections were actually designed as a reversible carpool lane in the middle without space for stations.

http://www.mumpo.org/Independence_Blvd_Widening.htm

There was a news article that said Gene Conti was wanting a delay in this project, as it has been designed for years and is indicated on MUMPO's website. He wants to study a cheaper 'superstreet' concept, which is pretty much to do everything the same but the interchanges.

That means there will be an at grade crossings of the transit line to which Gene Conti referred that there are plenty of cities with at grade crossings of their transit line. And as I wrote in response to the article the first time, if transit can have major crossings every mile, then why did we build so many bridges on the Blue line and plan so many for the Blue Line Extension?

Found it: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/03/26/1336956/independence-plans-criticized.html

Cynically, I think Gene Conti has it out for Independence because that was also his original method for paying for 485.

^Fortunately, Conti can't exactly act independently of the established metropolitan planning and federal NEPA processes. The most recent Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) adopted by MUMPO has the next 2-mile segment of Independence completed as an expressway by 2015 (the most recent LRTP to 485 by 2025). Plus, the programmed project has a federal Record of Decision (ROD). Any TIP amendment would reopen the Air Quality Conformity process for the Charlotte region. Any significant changes to the TIP project, such as a "super street" instead of an expressway, would require a Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement (SEIS).

^Fortunately, Conti can't exactly act independently of the established metropolitan planning and federal NEPA processes. The most recent Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) adopted by MUMPO has the next 2-mile segment of Independence completed as an expressway by 2015 (the most recent LRTP to 485 by 2025). Plus, the programmed project has a federal Record of Decision (ROD). Any TIP amendment would reopen the Air Quality Conformity process for the Charlotte region. Any significant changes to the TIP project, such as a "super street" instead of an expressway, would require a Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement (SEIS).

MUMPO's PPT presentation online had several negatives regarding the Superstreet concept and made me think that the idea will fall by the wayside.

On a separate note, part of Rock Hill's redevelopment plans for the textile corridor call for [eventually] both Trolley and Commuter Rail service to Charlotte...