What will become of the Coca-Cola building?

Spartan

It's sad to see the closure of the Coca-Cola operation on West Main Street, particularly since they've been there for over 100 years. That said, it also creates a cool opportunity for someone to take advantage of.  You don't often get a historic building with a large warehouse attached to it in such a good location.

I'm hoping for a new micro-brewery or maybe an expansion of a larger one elsewhere in the country. Any thoughts on what this could become?

http://www.goupstate.com/news/20171212/coca-cola-bidding-farewell-to-sparkle-city

1 hour ago, Spartan said:

It's sad to see the closure of the Coca-Cola operation on West Main Street, particularly since they've been there for over 100 years. That said, it also creates a cool opportunity for someone to take advantage of.  You don't often get a historic building with a large warehouse attached to it in such a good location.

I'm hoping for a new micro-brewery or maybe an expansion of a larger one elsewhere in the country. Any thoughts on what this could become?

http://www.goupstate.com/news/20171212/coca-cola-bidding-farewell-to-sparkle-city

1 hour ago, Spartan said:

First, I’m not surprised that Coke is leaving. It was just a matter of time in my opinion.  

Second, I think it’s just a matter of time this building is repurposed into something really exciting.  I can picture William Cribb imagineering a restaurant concept that dovetails nicely with the building’s unique architecture.   

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

I guess you all probably saw that the Coca-Cola building was purchased.  The new owner doesn't have solid plans yet, and he's exploring various options, including apartments or a brewery.  He should have a better idea in a few months.  What would you guys like to see here?  Someone on Facebook suggested a music venue, which I think would be awesome.  I think this area around Highpoint Road has solid potential to become a cool little district, with the Coca-Cola building and the West Main Artists Co-op as anchors.

• Like 1

I think a music venue and/or brewery would be great. Something that would be a solid competitor to the Handlebar in Greenville would be nice... but I think a brewery would be on point for that area. Spartanburg, and SC in general, are really missing the boat on the brewery crazy right now.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

Spaces in this building are now listed for-lease online.  Appears to be a mix of office and retail/restaurant space.  Expected to be ready in late-2020.  Looks like a pretty ambitious concept.  No clue if the owner is capable of delivering on this proposal.  Would be a cool destination, so I hope it pans out.

1088057162_500wmainconcept.thumb.jpg.db9e71be27bcce4622eaa9ce749ad72e.jpg

Love this, if they can pull it off. 

10 hours ago, westsider28 said:

Spaces in this building are now listed for-lease online.  Appears to be a mix of office and retail/restaurant space.  Expected to be ready in late-2020.  Looks like a pretty ambitious concept.  No clue if the owner is capable of delivering on this proposal.  Would be a cool destination, so I hope it pans out.

1088057162_500wmainconcept.thumb.jpg.db9e71be27bcce4622eaa9ce749ad72e.jpg

• 2 years later...
17 hours ago, roads-scholar said:

Something along the lines of what Westsider28 mentioned on December 19, 2018.  

Well whatever it becomes, I'm just glad to see another old (and very pretty building) saved and reused. Hopefully the reuse will be meaningful. That may be a great push to rehab other properties around that Western gateway and really give Downtown a well deserved "entrance"!

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Ohhh them's fightin' words haha. I love RJR. I always buy some when I'm in town since the only thing they sell outside of town is Son of a Peach. I just recently learned about Holliday Brewing, in Drayton,  so I hope to make it there soon. I've been to Plankowner(?) - it was decent but its in Boiling Springs so...

But yeah, a new brewery option in town would be great. I hope some potential investors are reading this haha.

Holiday is decent but I think it helps that their atmosphere is pretty incredible.

A brewery amongst other things in old Coke building would extend downtown and hopefully encourage further development in those empty blighted areas. Having that QT already is place is a nice building block and I never thought I would say that about a convenience store/gas station.

I was in Greenville  yesterday and the development around the old Judson Mill is mind boggling. That was as run down an area as you could ever find but is slowly being transformed. I feel Spartanburg can do the same with the right developers.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Drove past it today and saw that it will be mixed development. I spoke with a commercial realtor friend, and he corroborated that it will be a combination of retail and residential. To his understanding, the old building will be repurposed, not torn down. 

Anybody seen any plans or heard any other whispers regarding the project? I didn't catch the name of the developer as I drove down, but I'm sure that could be a good way to find out more if anyone happens to drive it today.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Looks like redevelopment is moving forward!  Saw a notice in the paper today for the Nov. 17 Planning Commission meeting, where the owners of the Coca-Cola building are asking to rezone two parcels from B-3 and R-6 to B-3, PDD (Planned Development District) to "accommodate a mixed-use development".  The owner is Richard Pennell III (Palmetto Operating Company LLC) who appears to be a partner at CAPA Management (and in the family who owns Metromont Corporation).  The applicant is Brett Baumgarten of Coastal Partners LLC.  Looking forward to hearing more details about this project!

2034909769_cokesite.jpg.a1ee5a669dee5104a0a0d06a264f89cc.jpg

Edited by westsider28
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, westsider28 said:

Looks like redevelopment is moving forward!  Saw a notice in the paper today for the Nov. 17 Planning Commission meeting, where the owners of the Coca-Cola building are asking to rezone two parcels from B-3 and R-6 to B-3, PDD (Planned Development District) to "accommodate a mixed-use development".  The owner is Richard Pennell III (Palmetto Operating Company LLC) who appears to be a partner at CAPA Management (and in the family who owns Metromont Corporation).  The applicant is Brett Baumgarten of Coastal Partners LLC.  Looking forward to hearing more details about this project!

2034909769_cokesite.jpg.a1ee5a669dee5104a0a0d06a264f89cc.jpg

I would be interested to see how this site is incorporated into the planned West Main Street renovations, would love to see downtown expanded all the way to the coca-cola building

• Like 1

In other news involving Cola companies, Pepsi has moved out of their long time location on Church Street and opened a new facility way out Bryant Rd to where they now have a Boiling Springs address.

Not sure how long they were there but it was a long time but the building is nowhere near as classical as the Coke building.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
At today's Planning Commission session, DEVELOPER COASTAL PARTNERS, LLC, requested that the Coca-Cola property as well as an adjacent one be REZONED TO B-3 PDD (Planned Development District) so as to allow for greater density and the ability to phase the project.

The motion received UNANIMOUS APPROVAL, which means the project will now go before City Council for a First Reading of Ordinance as early as Monday, December 12, 2022.
THE GOAL would be to turn the existing facility and its outbuildings into A MIXED-USE FACILITY possibly comprised of:

▪️Office space
▪️Retail
▪️Restaurants
▪️A gym
▪️A multi- family development

This would be done in TWO PHASES:
▪️PHASE ONE would focus on the REDEVELOPMENT & REPURPOSING OF THE EXISTING FACILITY that is on the 500 West Main Street parcel (see picture).

From the Developer: "The goal is to create a user and pedestrian friendly environment that will be a destination for both tenants and patrons alike. We envision enhanced indoor and outdoor gathering spaces which will offer a unique work/living environment.

▪️PHASE TWO would consist of the creation of a MULTI-FAMILY DWELLING UNIT made of primarily of one-bedroom units in the back parcel (see picture).

From the Developer: "We believe that the first phase redeveloped building will act as a demand generator for the second phase."

City Staff identified THREE MAIN STRENGTHS for this project, including:

▪️PRESERVING the historical integrity of Spartanburg
▪️BUILDING upon existing strengths of downtown
▪️EXPANDING the downtown experience further west

A PUBLIC HEARING will also be scheduled on December 12 at the City Council Meeting.

Screen Shot 2022-11-17 at 19.15.04.png

815502244_ScreenShot2022-11-17at19_13_18.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-17 at 19.11.07.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-17 at 19.10.52.png

• Like 2

P&C article     H-J article

Some more details about the plans.  Developers hope to start site work in April or May.  Phase 1 would involve infrastructure improvements and renovating the existing building(s).  They mention 20k SF of office space, restaurants, retail, gym, and storage.  They also mention a "dance hall, lounge or bar" which sounds like it could be a music venue.  Phase 2 (which could be a few years away) would be a multi-family development with up to 60 one-bedroom units.  The plans show 40 units, but I hope they go with 60.  We need as many residential units as possible, and they have plenty of parking planned.  City Council members are supportive of the project, so that bodes well for its rezoning approval.

Looking at the map, the project barely goes into the back parcel, because there's apparently a small creek back there.  Most of that parcel will remain wooded.  I wish they would add a bit more connectivity (at least paths, if not roads), but it looks like the plan doesn't necessarily prevent that from happening in the future, at least.