What will become of the Coca-Cola building?

Spartan

The Board of Zoning Appeals has received an appeal to the Bufferyard Requirements for the development of the Coke Facility Redevelopment Phase I.  The meeting is tomorrow (7/11).  Not sure what the specifics are, but it's nice to hear something about the project.  Hopefully they work out the issue in a way that satisfies all parties, and that they are able to continue moving forward.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

• 5 weeks later...

At Monday's City Council meeting, they will vote on a development agreement for this project that would include a 20-year FILOT that would go from $60,000 of local gov't revenue in the first year it's complete to $132,000 in the 20th year.  The project includes 60,000 SF of commercial space, including 30,000 SF of office, 20,000 SF of event space, and over 5,000 SF of retail space.  The investment is required to be at least $12 million, but will likely be ~$18M. 

This agreement is just for Phase 1.  Phase 2 (apartments) would likely come back to Council for a separate agreement.  The developer is expected to install sidewalk and landscaping improvements along West Main that will connect to the trail system.  The City is committed to complete certain public infrastructure improvements along the West Main corridor adjacent to the Property to include lighting and streetscaping in accordance with its West Main Corridor Redevelopment Plan.  The City expects this project to spur additional investment in the corridor. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Agenda packet is up for the Dec. 21 Planning Commission meeting where this project will be looking for site plan approval for Phase 1.  Looks solid.  Again, I like that they're tying in with Oxford Road.  It's going to have a nice big lawn, water feature, wide plaza space, a raised crosswalk/speed-table, bike racks.  Looks like a gym and restaurant are planned for the outbuildings. 

One thing that's a bit concerning: I don't see the Dan Trail being accommodated along West Main (as required in the development agreement, mentioned in my post above).  I'd like to be sure that widening of the sidewalk for the trail is indeed happening. 

Also, it looks like they're eliminating the main front entrance?  That's pretty disappointing.  The result would be "turning its back" on the street frontage and making the development inward-facing, which is not ideal urban form.

2131420940_Cokesiteplan1.thumb.jpg.08945697d093e3bb7703b2679e6cbe7f.jpg

1016247459_Cokesiteplan2.thumb.jpg.0a3a97dfa7e02895f97dbbb562522557.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It does indeed look like they are going to make the primary entrance on the side of the building. That is unfortunate. It's also unfortunate the W Main road diet won't extend this far. Maybe someday....

But still, I'm glad someone sees value in repurposing this old building rather than tearing it down.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

At the February 19 County Council meeting, there will be a public hearing for "an Ordinance authorizing the execution and delivery of a Special Source Credit Agreement by and between Spartanburg County, South Carolina and Palmetto Operating Company, LLC."  This would provide a 20-year escalating FILOT and infrastructure credits for this development.

• 1 month later...