Just Wow

spenser1058

50 minutes ago, orange87 said:

Good grief.

Things are getting beyond silly these days.

That Musk - Zuckerberg macho idiot contest is almost as bad as these two semi-related displays of childishness between Dumpster Don and Runty Ron ... 

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/does-ron-desantis-wear-lifts-093327946.html

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ron-desantis-goes-balls-against-031610027.html

• Haha 1

On 11/4/2023 at 6:51 PM, JFW657 said:

Good grief.

Things are getting beyond silly these days.

That Musk - Zuckerberg macho idiot contest is almost as bad as these two semi-related displays of childishness between Dumpster Don and Runty Ron ... 

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/does-ron-desantis-wear-lifts-093327946.html

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ron-desantis-goes-balls-against-031610027.html

LMFAO.  Did you make those up?  Dumpster Don...that's awesome.  "Runty" isn't PC tho...

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

LOL.  I'm not PC either... Dumpster Don sounds like a new character on Sesame Street...  "Hi boys and girls, we're here with our new friend, Dumpstar Don!"

A lot of us lefties started calling Trump "Dumpster Don/Donnie" back in '16 when he first took office. 

Runty Ron is my own invention which came about as a result of the shoe lifts allegations. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

A lot of us lefties started calling Trump "Dumpster Don/Donnie" back in '16 when he first took office. 

Runty Ron is my own invention which came about as a result of the shoe lifts allegations. 

You said you won't say what liberal views you have. You said I have to ask each individual issue from you. Here are 10 questions to see how liberal you are. I'll answer them to for the heck of it. @jrs2 can answer too.

Here we go:

- Are you pro life or pro choice?

- Do you believe in climate change?

- Do you support gay marriage?

- Do you support marijuana legalization?

- The federal minimum wage is currently $7.25/hr. Do you support raising it, and if so, to what amount?

- Do you support a national assault weapons ban?

- Do you support universal healthcare?

- Do you support the death penalty?

- Do you support free public college?

- Do you support having a wall on our southern border?

Edited by orange87

pro choice

yes

yes

yes

The federal minimum wage is currently $7.25/hr. Do you support raising it, and if so, to what amount?

Raise immediately to $10/hr and then have yearly automatic cost-of-living adjustments.

yes

yes

no

yes

yes

2 hours ago, orange87 said:

You said you won't say what liberal views you have. You said I have to ask each individual issue from you. Here are 10 questions to see how liberal you are. I'll answer them to for the heck of it. @jrs2 can answer too.

Here we go:

- The federal minimum wage is currently $7.25/hr. Do you support raising it, and if so, to what amount?

Here we go:

Choice.

I believe it is happening due to human activity, mainly the use of fossil fuels.

Yes.

Absolutely.

Yes. To $10/12 but with exceptions. 

Yes.

I support expanded healthcare based around a national catastrophic safety net. 

In some cases but not most.

No. I support the govt subsidizing two year institutions to the point that students of lower and average means can afford to go and pay a reasonable, affordable tuition.

No. I support a guest worker program so that anyone from SOTB who does not have a violent or extensive criminal record can come here for 6 - 8 months per year and work, then go home and come back again the next year. Maybe tie it to a path to citizenship.  

16 hours ago, orange87 said:

pro choice

yes

yes

yes

The federal minimum wage is currently $7.25/hr. Do you support raising it, and if so, to what amount?

Raise immediately to $10/hr and then have yearly automatic cost-of-living adjustments.

yes

yes

no

yes

yes

What is an assault weapons ban? 

11 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

that's not the legal definition of an assault rifle; the definition is full auto.

Yes, and I think pretty much everybody knows the legal or technical definition.

But in reality, the type of gun I described can and is used to assault and kill people with greater and greater frequency and in many people's opinion, mine included, should be banned because, despite the weak, thinly veiled, disingenuous arguments to the contrary routinely made by gun nuts, there is no legitimate, useful purpose for owning one.   

5 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Yes, and I think pretty much everybody knows the legal or technical definition.

But in reality, the type of gun I described can and is used to assault and kill people with greater and greater frequency and in many people's opinion, mine included, should be banned because, despite the weak, thinly veiled, disingenuous arguments to the contrary routinely made by gun nuts, there is no legitimate, useful purpose for owning one.   

If it is the type of gun typically used, I think it is greater frequency because its is popular, not because it is special. Its firing capacity is the same speed as a typical handgun. 

Besides, it is usually only used in high profile mass shoottings. Statistically, it is a rounding error for total deaths. Handguns are where all the problems are. 

40 minutes ago, jack said:

If it is the type of gun typically used, I think it is greater frequency because its is popular, not because it is special. Its firing capacity is the same speed as a typical handgun. 

Besides, it is usually only used in high profile mass shoottings. Statistically, it is a rounding error for total deaths. Handguns are where all the problems are. 

Their rate of fire might be the same as a typical handgun, but with the high capacity magazines they make for them, their capacity can be several times that of a standard handgun.

Pack half a dozen of these clips in a backpack and you're ready to do some extensive damage. 

But another thing about them, and you might not take this idea seriously, but I think the "military assault rifle" styling which gives them the appearance of being a commando weapon,which in turn is why they are so popular, has a psychological effect on these already unstable guys with anger issues and violent tendencies, which helps in leading them to commit mass shootings or just engage in some violent act.  

JMO.   

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

Their rate of fire might be the same as a typical handgun, but with the high capacity magazines they make for them, their capacity can be several times that of a standard handgun.

Pack half a dozen of these clips in a backpack and you're ready to do some extensive damage. 

But another thing about them, and you might not take this idea seriously, but I think the "military assault rifle" styling which gives them the appearance of being a commando weapon,which in turn is why they are so popular, has a psychological effect on these already unstable guys with anger issues and violent tendencies, which helps in leading them to commit mass shootings or just engage in some violent act.  

JMO.   

Round capacity is what really separates them from a typical 9mm. But you can by magazine that are not that much smaller. 

The psych effect probably is real. But if we banned the marketing of firearms, would we see a difference? I do not know. 

We could use better/more psych evaluations before selling a weapon. But that is getting close to a 2nd amendment violation. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jack said:

Assault weapons fire rounds that travel at a higher velocity which allows them to pierce body armor and other things like doors and walls. The rounds they fire are also more likely to kill instead of just injure. As an example 5.56 rounds are small and travel very fast and once they pierce flesh they tumble and ricochet inside the body. Also, assault rifles can take magazines that have much higher capacity than average handguns. Sure, you could technically put a drum magazine on a handgun, but that's very uncommon. Also, the long barrels allow for hitting targets at greater distances and with greater accuracy.

1 hour ago, jack said:

I though it was more Mr. "Give me liberty of give me death" Patrick Henry. A fighter. 

I thought their thing was the "Don't tread on me" slogan on the Gadsden flag....

us-gadsden-flag-1024x1024.jpg 

Trumper types use so many simplistic slogans, it's difficult to tell which one is most reflective of their core beliefs. 

But then, sloganeering is so much less mentally taxing than actual reasoning I suppose.   

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

I thought their thing was the "Don't tread on me" slogan on the Gadsden flag....

us-gadsden-flag-1024x1024.jpg 

Trumper types use so many simplistic slogans, it's difficult to tell which one is most reflective of their core beliefs. 

But then, sloganeering is so much less mentally taxing than actual reasoning I suppose.   

they HAVE to be wrong so that you can sleep well at night...

here's some other examples of sloganeering for the simple minded:  Global Warming or Gun Control or Equity or He/Him; She/Her or Hands Up Don't Shoot or Homophobe or Xenophobe or Antisemite (actually in this case it is the Democrats that are antisemites (just like Hitler was- From the River To The Sea))

59 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

they HAVE to be wrong so that you can sleep well at night...

here's some other examples of sloganeering for the simple minded:  Global Warming or Gun Control or Equity or He/Him; She/Her or Hands Up Don't Shoot or Homophobe or Xenophobe or Antisemite (actually in this case it is the Democrats that are antisemites (just like Hitler was- From the River To The Sea))

None of those, with the exception of Hands Up, Don't Shoot (and Black Lives Matter), are "slogans". 

Right or wrong, the rest of them are ideas. Concepts. 

Things right-wingers don't much deal in or tax themselves with.  

But neither of the two I mentioned are used anymore anyway.