Just Wow

spenser1058

The first drive-in theater opened today on June 6, 1933 in New Jersey (of course).

Our kids need more passion pits again - let’s bring’em back!

How many local drive-ins do you remember?

Orlando, WP, Ri-mar, Pine Hills, Colonial, South Trail, Star Lite, Orange Ave. Which ones am I forgetting?

“Downtown Orlando’s most significant and lucrative stakeholder group.”:

https://bungalower.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/DTO-Entertainment-District-proposed-moratorium.pdf

From Bungalower

They’re spoiled rotten and all this got started in the 2003 election. Buddy’s gonna have a bear of a time undoing their sense of entitlement after 18 years

What’s humorous is they have what seems to be very little concept of what the rest of the downtown stakeholders think of them.. 

Edited by spenser1058

22 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

“Downtown Orlando’s most significant and lucrative stakeholder group.”:

https://bungalower.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/DTO-Entertainment-District-proposed-moratorium.pdf

From Bungalower

They’re spoiled rotten and all this got started in the 2003 election. Buddy’s gonna have a bear of a time undoing their sense of entitlement after 18 years

What’s humorous is they have what seems to be very little concept of what the rest of the downtown stakeholders think of them.. 

Nevermind... https://bungalower.com/2021/06/07/ddb-and-city-backpedal-on-sidewalk-cafe-restrictions/

1 hour ago, prahaboheme said:

Backpedaling or not, this ridiculous ordinance further sheds a light on how detached the DDB and City are from the actual issues plaguing the CBD.

I'm not sure how limiting sidewalk dining would help the issues. The problem identified was large groups of people hanging out and not buying anything. The city was/is going to stop outdoor music to not encourage these groups loitering. I don't know if it would work but it sounds plausible. 

Thankfully, they backpedaled on sidewalk dining. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AmIReal said:

Is St Petersburg a “small” city? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AmIReal said:

Downtown DeLand is historic and somewhat trendy/hip, but I have a hard time with the public defecation, homeless bums and meth heads wandering around. Last time I went to Downtown DeLand, I legit almost stepped on an enormous log of human crap on the sidewalk. But the best pizza joint in all of Florida, Positano Trattoria Pizzeria, is in Downtown DeLand. And I don't say that lightly. As someone who was born and raised in the tri-state area, we have very high standards for pizza.

5 minutes ago, orange87 said:

Downtown DeLand is historic and somewhat trendy/hip, but I have a hard time with the public defecation, homeless bums and meth heads wandering around. Last time I went to Downtown DeLand, I legit almost stepped on an enormous log of human crap on the sidewalk. But the best pizza joint in all of Florida, Positano Trattoria Pizzeria, is in Downtown DeLand. And I don't say that lightly. As someone who was born and raised in the tri-state area, we have very high standards for pizza.

I wouldn’t suggest ever experiencing the current state of downtown Orlando if sleepy downtown Deland forces you to clutch the pearls.

• Haha 3

Well, we’ve always wondered about some systemic homophobia from FDOT after the kerfuffle over the rainbow crosswalk at Orange and Kaley.

Well, this week, they’re at it again. Jax wanted to celebrate PRIDE by lighting up the Acosta bridge in rainbow. FDOT wasn’t having it. It seems that’s happened elsewhere, including Sarasota, which somehow got the OK for red, white and blue about COVID but FDOT was not having rainbow for various technical reasons.

Fortunately, sanity ruled and the rainbow is lighting up Acosta again. What we can be pretty sure with FDOT, however, has less to do with rules and regulations and more to do with an unsavory hidden agenda.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/rainbow-lights-florida-bridge-marking-pride-month-turned-back-after-n1270266

From NBC News

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

We may have to send Brightline to CT for @orange87 to get around:

https://ctexaminer.com/2021/06/09/fewer-options-for-shore-line-east-commuters-as-amtrak-opts-out/

From The Connecticut Examiner

Also in the news from CT, our state just passed it's two year budget. It's been widely known that despite being the wealthiest state, CT has had massive financial problems, mostly in the form of enormous pension obligations. For the first time in... well... ever... CT has passed a bipartisan bill that doesn't raise a single tax. Not raising taxes is (sadly) a rare thing in CT. For the first time, the budget makes a massive payment towards pension debt instead of continuing to kick the can down the road, and has a budget surplus of $2.3 billion. Also, the rainy day fund is also nearing $3.5 billion. People are beginning to call this the "Connecticut Comeback." Now we just need the Hartford Whalers to return and we'll be back on track! :tw_grin:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, orange87 said:

Also in the news from CT, our state just passed it's two year budget. It's been widely known that despite being the wealthiest state, CT has had massive financial problems, mostly in the form of enormous pension obligations. For the first time in... well... ever... CT has passed a bipartisan bill that doesn't raise a single tax. Not raising taxes is (sadly) a rare thing in CT. For the first time, the budget makes a massive payment towards pension debt instead of continuing to kick the can down the road, and has a budget surplus of $2.3 billion. Also, the rainy day fund is also nearing $3.5 billion. People are beginning to call this the "Connecticut Comeback." Now we just need the Hartford Whalers to return and we'll be back on track! :tw_grin:

Woohoo!

Biden calls Pulse ‘hallowed ground,’ will sign bill enshrining it as national memorial

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/politics/os-ne-biden-statement-pulse-20210612-32ocsciosvgshbwbe67jzrmj2y-story.html

“Five years ago today in Orlando in the middle of pride month, our nation suffered the deadliest attack affecting the LGBTQ+ community in American history, and at the time, the deadliest mass shooting by a single gunman,” Biden said.

“Within minutes, the Pulse nightclub that had long been a place of acceptance and joy turned into a place of unspeakable pain and loss,” Biden said. “Forty-nine people were there celebrating Latin night were murdered, even more injured, and countless others scarred forever – the victims were family members, partners and friends, veterans and students, young, Black, Asian and Latino – our fellow Americans.”

“In the memory of all of those lost at the Pulse nightclub five years ago, let us continue the work to be a nation at our best – one that recognizes and protects the dignity and safety of every American,” he concluded.

Remember the 49 and fight against hate. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 2

All Aboard America….All Aboard Amtrak.

It’s worth asking yourself sometime why the only rail service in Florida that did not resume as we got beyond COVID is… Brightline.

Think about all those folks without jobs and what if those folks needed to rely on their service from Miami to WPB?

They did not care. The PEF that owns them has gone bankrupt before in Canada. Their pairing with Virgin who the UK removed from two major rail lines?

Mark my words, this will end like the other Tallahassee boondoggles. Enjoy the illusion while it exists. Maglev was a sure thing too, right?

12 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

We have discussed this a lot on the brightline thread. 

I don't know if BL will work long term as a passenger service, but their adjacent real estate is what they really care about. 

That’s certainly true, but once they’ve realized their real estate gains, what incentive will they have to stay in the train business. They certainly won’t do it out of the goodness of their private equity/hedge fund hearts (talk about an oxymoron…)