Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

23 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

The article says 12 to 14 stories and 120 to 200 rooms. Same as the Staybridge, same owner of the land.

This article from The Tennessean says that the still-unnamed hotel will be 5 stories.  Will be very disappointed if that's the case.  Seems like an under-investment in land that is going to have skyrocketing value over the next several years.  I would certainly prefer if it were at least 12 stories facing the freeway.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2017/08/08/global-mall-owner-plans-5-story-dual-brand-hotel-near-nashvilles-gulch/549544001/

• Like 4

Updates on a couple of Germantown projects from The Nashville Post:

Mainland lands permits related to Germantown residential project

Nashville-based Mainland Cos. has landed three tree removal permits related to its soon-to-start 46-unit residential project in Germantown.

Nashville-based Division 2 Constructors LLC will handle the work.

As part of the project, Mainland will convert the historic Elliott School building last home to Centerstone to accommodate 23 residential units.

By October, Mainland hopes to start grading a roughly two-acre site bordered by Sixth and Seventh avenues on the east and west, respectively, and Madison Street on the south. The school building fronts Sixth on the south side of Madison. 

On that site, the first of three phases of townhomes could be completed within 12 months. The three phases will offer 21 townhomes total (instead of 54 residences, primarily condominium flats, as previously planned).

The new construction is expected to include a 1,000-square-foot retail space fronting the northwest corner of the intersection of Sixth and Madison and with two condo flat units sitting atop the retail space. 

And....

Memphis-based Premier Storage Investors is eyeing a spring 2018 opening for its four-story self-storage building now under construction in Germantown. The facility will be located at 1138 Second Ave. N. and sit on about 1.42 acres.

Craig Sneed, Premier vice president, said the building will offer approximately 70,000 square feet of rentable storage space “with plans for a future expansion on the site.”

The company has two other self-storage facilities in the Nashville market. The Germantown building will be the first located in an urban setting.

The property, for which Premier paid $4.45 million in 2016, was last home to masonry business WASCO.  Sneed said the company is not disclosing the cost to undertake the project. 

A rendering of this is a couple of posts above on this thread.

Here is the location of this self storage project at the center of this screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map:

Screen Shot 2017-08-10 at 10.00.46 AM.png

Here is the location of the Mainland development at the center of this screen shot:

Screen Shot 2017-08-10 at 10.00.20 AM.png

• Like 1

I take it that you really mean Garfield St. and Rosa Parks, rather than Delta.  Probably before you arrived down into Nashville long ago, Delta got cut off from intersecting 8th Ave (Rosa Parks), where the current Kroger property is now, some 3 blocks south of Garfield.  Delta used to intersect at a dangerous tapered intersection, just as with Houston at 4th, Tennessee- Kentucky- Michigan at Morrow, and Lindsley at Hermitage.  Good riddance.

• Like 1

I just recently discovered Germantown. I go there now to have a pleasant stroll on the brick sidewalks and enjoy the old houses, or maybe to drop in on the chocolate shop or visit the Church of the Assumption. There does seem to be a limited supply of older houses and a very high rate of new development, so I am concerned that if any more of the old places are torn down it will loose the character and charm that it presently has. It reminds me of an old cartoon I once saw where two developers were standing on a bluff overlooking a valley and one says to the other "this is beautiful, let's develop it."

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, archilove said:

I just recently discovered Germantown. I go there now to have a pleasant stroll on the brick sidewalks and enjoy the old houses, or maybe to drop in on the chocolate shop or visit the Church of the Assumption. There does seem to be a limited supply of older houses and a very high rate of new development, so I am concerned that if any more of the old places are torn down it will loose the character and charm that it presently has. It reminds me of an old cartoon I once saw where two developers were standing on a bluff overlooking a valley and one says to the other "this is beautiful, let's develop it."

I agree with you about the charm of Germantown.    Fortunately, Germantown is covered by an Historic Preservation Overlay, which limits the ability to modify historic structures.   You're right about the pace of redevelopment, which is even more pronounced in Salemtown, which is covered by a less restrictive Conservation Overlay.    However, there are (or I should say were, because they are disappearing at a rapid rate) numerous houses in Salemtown that would not be considered historic or contributing and are thus subject to being replaced with new construction as long as the new construction fits within the zoning guidelines.     

Unfortunately for both neighborhoods, fewer and fewer neighbors actually live there.    A large number of the houses have been purchased by investors and converted to short-term rentals.    

• Like 1

^ Thanks.   This was announced some time ago and I've been looking for some sign that the existing occupant of the property, January Environmental, an oil and waste recycling company, was in the process of vacating, but as recently as Tuesday I ran by there and the business still appears to be in operation.    Given the current use of the property, I would expect there may be some level of environmental remediation required before the new owner could obtain building permits.   Just speculating on that.    A prudent buyer would conduct a Phase I environmental survey before acquiring the property, so maybe they have and determined an October ground breaking is feasible.    We'll see.   

• Like 2

Water towers have always fascinated me ─ even the "squatty" roof-mounted units ─ and just as masonry smokestacks and elevator silos, they provide a charming focal point for most redevelopments (perhaps).  That really must be an old rendering, since there is no aerial water tower on that site, and I don't think moving one or erecting one there will be happening.

• Like 3

I'd say a good number of those Lower Broad buildings are still standing between the river and 5th.    

The building I'd most like to see undergo a thorough and loving restoration is the Cotton Eyed Joe building (far right in the picture and in the link FMDJ posted) at the foot of 2nd/Broadway.    Much of the front facade has been altered over the years with windows removed and bricked in.      It could be such a grand statement on Lower Broad, but it would probably require a change of ownership to someone with the right mindset who wouldn't pull a Trail West middle of the night demolition to avoid the complexities of working with an historic structure.    

• Like 4

The Metro Planning Commission on Thursday voted to disapprove specific plan rezoning for a long-planned Germantown project.

Previous votes on the proposed project — The Livery at 5th & Monroe — had been deferred seven times. The Metro Council can override the planning commission vote with a two-thirds approval for the project. Metro Planning Department staff recommended approval of the SP mixed-use rezoning.

The project has met with some opposition despite the Historic Germantown Neighborhood Board of Directors having voted in favor.

Developer Jim Creason, owner of Nashville-based Trust Development, said he plans to move forward with the project, whether the council overrules the commission to allow the SP zoning or he sticks with mixed-use neighborhood (MUN) zoning. If the latter, The Livery will offer residences in addition to its events space, he said.

Full story here (currently behind the paywall):

http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20972356/the-livery

Screen Shot 2017-08-11 at 4.29.35 PM.png

• Like 1

The long-rumored Holiday Inn Express in MetroCenter seems to finally be moving forward. From today's Nashville Post:

Omega Hotel Group will go before the Metro Planning Commission on Thursday, Sept. 28, related to a Holiday Inn Express and Suites hotel project targeted for MetroCenter.

Specifically, the company will ask Metro to approve the abandonment of a portion of Fourth Avenue North to allow for what would be the Madison, Alabama-based hotel development company’s first project in Nashville.

An entity affiliated with OHG acquired the property in February 2016.

If built, the hotel would sit at the point at which Dominican Drive becomes Third Avenue North and into which Clay Street T-intersects.

The company has not yet submitted an image to Metro, according to an OHG official.

Omega has enlisted Nashville-based Ragan-Smith & Associates for land planning efforts.