Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Sorry to all of you that like modernist Industrial, but when you look at it in person, it sucks. The wood element is horrible and its the same old cracked floors. They could have done a lot more, but paint an outhouse and its still an outhouse.

Just my quirky likes and dislikes.

• Like 1

^ ^ ^ Yep---nice running into you (again!) this morning, Ron.  Here is the rendering hung on the chain link fencing surrounding the site.  It will be called Extra Space Storage.  Will be 4 stories tall.  No street activation. On the SE corner of 2nd Ave. North and Madison St:

Extra Space Storage, Germantown, render, Aug 6, 2017.jpg

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Criminal Justice Center (5 stories, 80 feet) update. Sub level parking nearly complete.

I can't help but wonder whether or not I'll still be around to witness the next CJC after this one, at the rate they crank 'em out.
;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rookzie said:

I can't help but wonder whether or not I'll still be around to witness the next CJC after this one, at the rate they crank 'em out.
;)

I'd rather they'd have rebuilt those charming 19th century buildings that stood on that block until 1974 for that ghastly jail building (and this equally ugly successor).

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/--XbPAR4jITY/VoII7QznN_I/AAAAAAAAFbM/JNaDqoY3foU/s640/north%2Bside%2Bpublic%2Bsquare%2Bnpl.JPG

Edited by fieldmarshaldj
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, fieldmarshaldj said:

I'd rather they'd have rebuilt those charming 19th century buildings that stood on that block until 1974 for that ghastly jail building (and this equally ugly successor).

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/--XbPAR4jITY/VoII7QznN_I/AAAAAAAAFbM/JNaDqoY3foU/s640/north%2Bside%2Bpublic%2Bsquare%2Bnpl.JPG

This morning was already annoying at work and now I'm just depressed.

48 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

Faux Victorian buildings will also look like crap over time if not well maintained. Lasting architecture requires proper design, construction AND upkeep. Without all three elements, it really doesn't matter, 'cause it'll be demolished in a limited time anyway.

Styles of architecture come and go, but they all need those 3 elements. Here in Memphis, there are still quite a bit of those kind of buildings, and despite their age, they're beautiful and impressive. Stuff like Artisan on Music Row, will never be either, whether new and sturdy or old and in need of renovation.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

Faux Victorian buildings will also look like crap over time if not well maintained. Lasting architecture requires proper design, construction AND upkeep. Without all three elements, it really doesn't matter, 'cause it'll be demolished in a limited time anyway.

That's the best thing I've heard said (or seen in print) of the subject of construction in a long time.  Had Nashville become a burgeoning, booming city a hundred years ago, to have developed much more old structurally "inert" and durable stock, both commercial and residential, and had it been capable of becoming maintained and surviving much of the late postwar (WWII) displacement from previous administrations, then there just might have been a chance that comparably sound neo-classical revivals could have been trending by now ─ not necessarily en masse, but by no means rare.  You get what you pay for, and that will be dearly in no time flat.  ;)

From Nashville Post:

After multiple past deferrals from the Metro Planning Commission, a vote on The Livery at 5th & Monroe project long planned for Germantown is slated for this week.

Trust Development, which seeks to undertake the project, will go before the commission on Thursday, Aug. 10, to seek specific plan rezoning.

A vote on the proposed project’s hoped-for SP zoning has been deferred seven times.

Metro Planning Department staff are recommending approval of the SP mixed-use rezoning.

The project has met with some opposition but the Historic Germantown Neighborhood Board of Directors voted in favor.

Trust Development President Jim Creason has undertaken multiple projects in Germantown and in nearby Salemtown, Hope Gardens and Buena Vista. His most recent project, a boutique hotel call Germantown Inn, opened in December 2016.

Creason could not be reached for comment.

Metro Councilman Freddie O'Connell, in whose District 19 the property sits, said the building as proposed is "well designed" and "has earned accolades from the neighborhood.

"At this particular location, he has put some pressure on the question of 'use' in a mixed use neighborhood," O'Connell said. "He could build the building as designed and approved under the current base zoning, and I literally haven't had a rezoning request that has drawn more community interest — including opposition. I like the building but I'm also still on the hunt for any more provisions that could be included in the SP that might offer some stronger assurances to the neighborhood."

If The Livery materializes, an announced tenant is an events space to be called The Sloane.

To be located at the southwest corner of the intersection of Fifth Avenue North and Monroe Street, the building will offer two above-grade levels and a partially below-grade space, with its entirety spanning about 9,900 square feet and featuring a rooftop terrace.

Screen Shot 2017-08-09 at 4.17.43 PM.png

• Like 1