Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Nashville-based Halo Restaurant Group is targeting a late-July opening for a Gulch pizzeria that will offer a revolving oven and pay subtle tribute to the fast-changing district’s railroad history.

To be called Night Train Pizza, the eatery will operate from about 3,100 square feet of space in an adaptively reused commercial building located at 600 Ninth Ave. South.

http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/food-business/article/20863683/gulch-preps-for-pizzeria-to-feature-revolving-oven

• Like 3

From Nashville Post:

Nashville-based site planning and engineering firm Civil-Site Design will go before the Metro Planning Commission on Thursday, June 8, to request specific plan zoning related to a commercial project eyed for Germantown.

Nashville-based Trust Development Co. will undertake the $3 million project, called The Livery, with an events business as the first announced tenant.

Jim Creason, Trust Development president, said the events space will be called The Sloane, with the wife and husband team of event planner Kristin King and Robbie King, managing director of Highmark Holdings LLC, to own and operate.

The Livery will be located at the southwest corner of the intersection of Fifth Avenue North and Monroe Street. The building will offer two above-grade levels and a partially below-grade space, with its entirety spanning about 12,000 square feet and featuring a rooftop terrace.

Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 6.36.37 AM.png

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Philip said:

The problem is that it's right there at the new Ascend theater, so it will indefinitely be in quite the prominent location. I wouldn't mind the building so much itself if it were surrounded by other buildings.

Yep!  The Hines/Hayes building would be fine almost anywhere other than where it is right now.  It's in such a prominent place and will never be blocked on the river side.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

In terms of the buildings?  Short of a couple examples, and our small historic stock, yeah I agree, I'd take Charlotte's collection in a heartbeat. But in terms of what each downtown has to offer overall, I'd take Nashville's.  

I wasn't disagreeing with your point regarding Charlotte, only just about the buildings (my preference for aspects of '80s-style skyscrapers vs. many of those of this decade we've seen rising here in our city). I do envy Charlotte and Austin's newer skyscrapers (and I remember going through Austin back in 1990 when its skyline was small and not impressive in the least).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fieldmarshaldj said:

I wasn't disagreeing with your point regarding Charlotte, only just about the buildings (my preference for aspects of '80s-style skyscrapers vs. many of those of this decade we've seen rising here in our city). I do envy Charlotte and Austin's newer skyscrapers (and I remember going through Austin back in 1990 when its skyline was small and not impressive in the least).

Ohh gotcha... my bad, I misunderstood... in that case, I'm with ya 100%!

• Like 1

On 6/7/2017 at 7:27 AM, wreynol4 said:

We build the Westin, Charlotte builds a new tower for BofA...We have got to step our design game up, compared to our peer cities now (Charlotte, Austin) we don't match up. It was good when it was Louisville, Memphis, Indy. 

IMG_6776.JPG

So according to your post the Sobro, Bridgestone, 505, 222, HCA, JW Marriott, Tri-brand Marriott, Joseph, Drury, Embassy Suites, and Curio either don't count or don't exist. According to your post the only building built in Nashville recently is the Westin. This is a joke and reeks of some kind of agenda of either sour grapes or an all to familiar need to get the Oscar the Grouches to come out of the woodwork. 

That building above looks like something the 80s threw out to pasture via a wormhole. Both in style and color.

Edited by Ingram
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, Ingram said:

That building above looks like something the 80s threw out to pasture via a wormhole. Both in style and color.

Did you notice the base too??  I'm only asking, because somehow, I didn't notice it until now.  Talk about straight outta the 80's...a freakin driveway surrounded by empty grassland?  Seriously?  Damn Charlotte, you can do much better than that!  Say what one will about The Westin, but at least it fits into an urban environment!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ingram said:

So according to your post the Sobro, Bridgestone, 505, 222, HCA, JW Marriott, Tri-brand Marriott, Joseph, Drury, Embassy Suites, and Curio either don't count or don't exist. According to your post the only building built in Nashville recently is the Westin. This is a joke and reeks of some kind of agenda of either sour grapes or an all to familiar need to get the Oscar the Grouches to come out of the woodwork. 

Don't forget Second Avenue Partners, The Endeavor, Nashville Yards and 5th / Broadway (amongst others)...

Seriously, no other US city (that I can think of), except *MAYBE* Austin or NYC, is experiencing a skyscraper boom like Nashville is currently. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, urbanplanet17 said:

Don't forget Second Avenue Partners, The Endeavor, Nashville Yards and 5th / Broadway (amongst others)...

Seriously, no other US city (that I can think of), except *MAYBE* Austin or NYC, is experiencing a skyscraper boom like Nashville is currently. 

Can't wait to see what all happens at Nashville Yards!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Did you notice the base too??  I'm only asking, because somehow, I didn't notice it until now.  Talk about straight outta the 80's...a freakin driveway surrounded by empty grassland?  Seriously?  Damn Charlotte, you can do much better than that!  Say what one will about The Westin, but at least it fits into an urban environment!

Actually  this new building in Charlotte will be surrounded by 5-6 more high rises including retail on both sides on that walkway (not a driveway) they just haven't announced any others aspects of this 2 block project which will include office space, retail, hotel and residential. This is just phase one is  an 845,000 sq ft 33 story tower with 550,000 sq ft preleased to Bank of America. Nashville seriously does have many more hotels going up downtown than Charlotte but you are a far more bigger convention city and tourist destination. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Actually  this new building in Charlotte will be surrounded by 5-6 more high rises including retail on both sides on that walkway (not a driveway) they just haven't announced any others aspects of this 2 block project which will include office space, retail, hotel and residential. This is just phase one is  an 845,000 sq ft 33 story tower with 550,000 sq ft preleased to Bank of America. Nashville seriously does have many more hotels going up downtown than Charlotte but you are a far more bigger convention city and tourist destination. 

Good to know that it was just an incomplete rendering!  I mean, Charlotte's city planning team has been putting out some great work over the last decade, so it kind of stunned me to see that. Thanks for the clarification!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Nashville may have more hotels going up, but Uptown Charlotte still has more hotel rooms and more upscale flags (InterContinental) coming soon. I don't necessarily think the two skylines are comparable (and neither are the cities for that matter). 

46 minutes ago, titanhog said:

^^I have a feeling that within 3-4 years they'll be wishing they had gone about 20 stories and 200 more rooms.

Their hands are pretty much tied. The site's not that big to begin with. Anything taller than six stories would require a new elevator bank and probably retooling the entire site to reorient the front-of-house to that side. They'd also need more parking.

It's funny, when the Hampton Inn was built it stuck out in SoBro as a new, low-rise hotel in a sea of surface parking and one-story warehouses. Now it sticks out as a relatively dated, low-rise hotel in a sea of high-rise mixed-use buildings. Was only ten years ago when it opened. But hey, they totally called the MCC, before its location was even a done deal.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, NashRugger said:

While that Hampton Inn may stick out in a different way now, it is one of the highest performing properties in that brand in the nation because of its location. The developer took a gamble and reaped a gigantic reward few probably saw coming so fast.

Too bad they couldn't have anticipated the huge growth and built something more urban.  I'm sure they're kicking themselves...at least a little.  Even with the great returns they are getting...I'm sure they wish they had room for a much larger imprint.

21 hours ago, urbanplanet17 said:

Oh yeah I forgot about those and the Hyatt Regency and the tower across from the Music City Center as well. Nashville has so much going for it and looks good too.

As for the other cities, I couldn't care less about charlotte with its dull looking and dull colored buildings that are hard to distinguish from each other with the exception of one building. The same for Austin whose buildings all have the same mundane frame cladding.

• Like 1