Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

An article in the NBJ about the SoBro property bought buy Corner.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2013/03/21/mark-bloom-doesnt-expect-to-sit-long.html

I can't really find much good in middle men like that buying up property, and sitting on it to drive up the price. It mentions the 12th and Laurel corner that they own, and they're going to sit on it until it goes for $200/ sq ft.

Maybe someone can enlighten me...is there anything good they do, aside from possibly combining parcels of land?

Combining parcels, taking on some of the risk to create more developable tracts...

100/sf for land that far from the convention center...seems like developers see some big time potential for all of SoBro, not just right next to the convention center...the next 5 yrs will likely be fun to watch in this area

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

Combining parcels, taking on some of the risk to create more developable tracts...

100/sf for land that far from the convention center...seems like developers see some big time potential for all of SoBro, not just right next to the convention center...the next 5 yrs will likely be fun to watch in this area

This will be fun to watch. I don't think we will see a anything very tall, but the infill will be nice. Would be nice to have a full service grocery store and some shopping for all of the conventioneers and residents of Sobro. Maybe  we will see an 11 North type of development. The only tall building I can see is The Sobro, but Tony first announced that in November 2011 and no dirt has been moved. It makes for  some nice visionary fantasy though. We can still dream to be a big city. Maybe Tony's hotel can stretch to 20-25 stories depending on the foot print, but that remains to be seen.

I could be totally off base here, but all three of Tony's proposed downtown buildings were made together just a little over a year ago.  The way I took that was as a sort of 'multi-year vision' that we would see come to fruition over the course of a few years, not as a proposal that was intended to all rise out of the ground all at once.  So hopefully he's still just getting all of the legal stuff straightened out and we will see each of the three become a reality. 

Also note, they were proposals and not finished designs. Note the Hotel just says "Hotel", and the shape looks more like a sketch than an actual rendering, But BNA you are correct. The renderings look like a 5-10 year plan, and nothing immediate. Notice also the newer rendering of the Sobro is not even on the site.

I could be totally off base here, but all three of Tony's proposed downtown buildings were made together just a little over a year ago.  The way I took that was as a sort of 'multi-year vision' that we would see come to fruition over the course of a few years, not as a proposal that was intended to all rise out of the ground all at once.  So hopefully he's still just getting all of the legal stuff straightened out and we will see each of the three become a reality.

I think it's a long term plan. I've seen places where 505 was listed as starting 2015 or something like that (I'm not sure what the source is on that, though). 505 has the type of cutting edge design that could be 5+ years down the road and still be pretty fresh.

That project would probably only rise due to a major corporate relocation...and from a company that still wants to maintain a high profile (i.e. not wanting to move to a suburban lowrise).

I think the chances are decent that we'll see a major relocation in the next few years...but the question will be, do they want to be downtown, and do they want a building that expensive?

Friends,

I visited the Bluegrass Inn (when it was located in a tiny structure behind the building in which Noshville operates) at various times in the mid-1980s. The house band was led by an older gentleman named Hubert Davis (if I recall correctly). He sat in a chair and played a mean banjo. Many of the members of the band (old-time bluegrass) were his family. It was a very small space that got hot and made the beer go down fast. Then the Bluegrass Inn moved to a space on Second Avenue (near Hooters). Of course, now it's on Lower Broad. As to the Station Inn ever being located in Midtown ... I don't recall. But as 5th & Main Urbanite and Smeagolsfree will tell you, my memory is bad.

WW

When the Hull is toppled, I will shed a tear

Thank you, William!! Maybe my memory isn't as bad as I've suspected lately. Your description of the BGI brings it all back. I knew there was once a place back there, but I haven't lived in Nashville in such a long time (and not being the biggest bluegrass fan, I had been to Station Inn several times when there was absolutely nothing else in the Gulch) I couldn't be sure. I went there with some classmates probably 2-3 times, and remember having a good time, but it was certainly a "no frills" sort of place... like Jonesy's with live banjoes. But it had to be my first or second year at Vandy, given the time frame. Ahem, there must be a reason that's a bit "foggy"... LOL.

Edited by MLBrumby

I can't really find much good in middle men like that buying up property, and sitting on it to drive up the price. It mentions the 12th and Laurel corner that they own, and they're going to sit on it until it goes for $200/ sq ft.Maybe someone can enlighten me...is there anything good they do, aside from possibly combining parcels of land?

I agree, there's a point where it's like they're holding the property hostage.

Mark Bloom and his partners have been doing that since long before the convention center was even a glimmer in the eyes of the Metro Council... he purportedly used to post frequently on the ssc site.  I know someone who knows him personally and he is described as a very nice man.  Apparently he also knows how to make money... and lots of it.

Insighter is an investment banker in Nashville and supposedly he has ties with Alex Palmer.  He is not Mark Bloom. Consequently, Mark's son Lance wanted to build a gas station on Mark's lot next to us at 5th and Main, but it was rejected due to new building codes for Main Street. Mark is a nice guy from what I hear. He owns 10 units in 5th and Main.

Edited by 5th & Main Urbanite

This is off the topic of CBD projects but gas stations actually are an approved use in the Gallatin Road Improvement District SP.  They are also permitted in the MDHA East Bank Redevelopment Parcel that includes the location where 5th/Main was built, which is approved for institutional/commercial/retail, office, residential, hotel and public uses.  Gas stations count as retail uses as long as they do not have a repair shop on site.  However, a new gas station (fuel center) in that location would have to comply with the design guidelines of both the MDHA East Bank Redevelopment District and the Gallatin Road Specific Plan.   Kroger  successfully worked with Codes on the latter when they added a fuel center at Gallatin/Seymour just north of the Eastland Kroger store location.  It has a brick kneewall with a wrought-iron railing, a landscape buffer, and it is constructed out of brick.  It is much, much better than what was on that particular spot before. 

I suspect that a person who wanted to put in yet another gas station near 5th&Main would take a hard look at (1) the amount of competition that is already there, (2) the additional cost of building a fuel center that fits the design guidelines, and (3) the rampant, often violent criminal activity that takes place at the 5th/Main gas station as well as the one that is a block or so up the street.   FWIW, I'm glad that the person didn't apply to put in a gas station there as they are difficult to get rid of once they are in place.  I suspect that a mixed use will be forthcoming for the 6th/Main side of that block, with an emphasis on office users.

Insighter is an investment banker in Nashville and supposedly he has ties with Alex Palmer.  He is not Mark Bloom. Consequently, Mark's son Lance wanted to build a gas station on Mark's lot next to us at 5th and Main, but it was rejected due to new building codes for Main Street. Mark is a nice guy from what I hear. He owns 10 units in 5th and Main.

Edited by bwithers1

It's a beautiful day in Nashville.  For those that don't get to come down here everyday, here is a viewpoint from where I work.  You can see the progress on the Hyatt and Omni.

(Does anyone know how to post images without first saving them to the Urban Planet media folders?)

First off, great shot and thanks for sharing!!  I didn't know about uploading photos to UP's own folder thingy!  :blink:   Some "mod" huh?  :P   Anyways, I usually upload photos into a server such as Flickr, Photobucket, Picasa, etc.  Then you can generate a code to paste into your post.  Or you can use a link (URL) to the photo extension (.jpeg usually, others like .png may work too, not sure) to paste in the popup after you select the "photo" icon or "insert image" button.  I post Facebook pictures from others' pages with the URL while I upload my own to a photo server and generate a BBCode (for Flickr, specifically) to paste directly into the post.

Here is Flickr, the first photo shows how to use the BBCode/HTML while the second one generates an URL.

8599882993_0a45846d8c_b.jpg
flickr_example by timmay143, on Flickr

8600981904_08ef3c34cf_b.jpg

This is what the code looks like from the first pic.

flickr_example by timmay143, on Flickr

This photo shows the popup window after you click the photo icon button just below and a little to the left of the emoticon smiley face button:

8599893739_d388e82063_b.jpg
  • Like 2

Wowza! Drove by Tony G's SoBro site and he put up a sign near the corner saying "Something big is coming Spring of 2015" and has a picture of what appears to be the crown of the new SoBro building. Nothing at all like the other two photos. Looks amazing. Will try to get down there at lunch to take and post photos of it.

• Like 3

Just messaged Ron and William. Maybe we will know something by the end of the day.

Wowza! Drove by Tony G's SoBro site and he put up a sign near the corner saying "Something big is coming Spring of 2015" and has a picture of what appears to be the crown of the new SoBro building. Nothing at all like the other two photos. Looks amazing. Will try to get down there at lunch to take and post photos of it.

Photo's please!