Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

1 hour ago, Vrtigo said:

Don't forget there's a FedEx Office smack in the middle of Lower Broad as well... I don't think a tastefully done Walgreens will be as out of place as any of you think.

Dpn1qN.jpg

I think I read somewhere that's the actual building that Walgreens is looking to take over.

2 hours ago, Andrew_3289 said:

a Walgreens on lower Broadway would be a gold mine with all the tourists stopping in and getting the essentials for the weekend. 

I agree 100%.     I disagree with Butch Spyridon that a Walgreens does not fit.     Where is it written that every building in a stretch of 5 blocks must be used as a honky tonk or boot shop?    

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PaulChinetti said:

Actually using a structure instead of tearing it down and making it like everything else! WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT!!

So much architecture has been homogenized and reduced to the lowest common denominator, I love when the local flare is kept and it's just not another generic building.

walgreens.jpg

I totally agree.  The irony with Walgreen's generic design is that they are attempting to mimic the traditional 'main street corner store' look, but usually insist on having a large parking lot between the sidewalk and the entrance of the 'corner store,' which completely negates the purpose of that design.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, titanhog said:

I'm just talking about that old bank.  Too bad there's not another business using it where the awesome architectural features couldn't be featured even more...like an upscale restaurant...museum...art gallery.

An art gallery or institute, or even mezzanine mixed-use with food court would be the "bomb" for that old Noel State Bank Bldg.  I guess that, in consideration of its site, it's somewhat off the mainstream of central activity, and Walgreen's probably got a hold of it before other investors or lessors did, or possibly they were the fortunate ones to acquire the use of the old bank to suit their projected needs.  Wicker Park is a former primarily working-class district in the near northwest side, and which has been undergoing a state of transition in the redev of blighted, older structures, along with minimal razing and infill, in the same manner done to a few much smaller areas in Nashville ─ areas that didn't become all but leveled, that is.  The Historic Noel State Bank building is but one of many structures which have undergone adaptive re-use in that Chicago neighborhood.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

I totally agree.  The irony with Walgreen's generic design is that they are attempting to mimic the traditional 'main street corner store' look, but usually insist on having a large parking lot between the sidewalk and the entrance of the 'corner store,' which completely negates the purpose of that design.

That design is like the one they built on the corner of Frazier and Market in North Chattanooga, you have this awesome row of shops and restaurants built up to the road and boom, a Walgreens with a massive parking lot facing the road, it makes me mad almost everytime I drive by it. 

• Like 4

I thought that was the one in the photo. Yep... I miss the Town and Country that used to be there. It wasn't the greatest food, but the whole atmosphere was classic mid-20th century... booths, car canopy, huge neon sign on the roof.  That was a f'ing crime. And that was after the Jacksonian demolition.  Pardon me if I'm not supportive about Walgreens being allowed anywhere where there are fine old buildings.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Titans10 said:

That design is like the one they built on the corner of Frazier and Market in North Chattanooga, you have this awesome row of shops and restaurants built up to the road and boom, a Walgreens with a massive parking lot facing the road, it makes me mad almost everytime I drive by it. 

Oh man, that one drive me crazy too.  Walgreens should be ashamed of plopping that generic garbage down in the middle of that beautiful neighborhood like that.

• Like 1

As beautiful as those were (and there were also some nice ones on the west side by Deaderick, too), the ones that stood on the east and south sides of the Public Square were even more beautiful. Second Empire beauties that looked like they were transplanted from Paris on the east, and an Italianate on the south that looked like it was dropped from Venice (at least in the case of the latter, it was not a victim of urban renewal, but of fire).

West side

west2.jpg

East side

public%2Bsquare%2Band%2Bcourt%2Bhouse%2BLOL%2Bcrop.jpg

South side

a022ec1d6e8c8ead2f91749f051bb6ab.jpg

It's interesting. I used to live in Montgomery, AL and in Birmingham. Nashville has far more going on now than Montgomery or Birmingham. But I have wondered since I moved here about Nashville's historic structures -- or lack thereof. For a city of our age, I have always thought that nashville was missing buildings in the core that were a link to past eras, or at least to the eras represented by these buildings. Montgomery is a river city or a similar age. Selma is too. So is Mobile . And they have more of the historic structures that give you a sense of their age than Nashville does. Don't interpret this as a knock on Nashville. I love this city and love living here. But I've been surprised we don't have more examples still around of the city that we used to be. Others do.

• Like 2

Ah yes... Urban Renewal! The wholesale obliteration of blocks of historic buildings, all done just to bring the suburbs to inner cities. Parking... parking... parking!  Unfortunately for the cities that grew the fastest after WW2, they got it the worst. Also, keep in mind that lots of the larger cities, especially in The South, were actually embarrassed by a courthouse square, derided as "small town". So attempts were made to turn those (quaint as in Nashville's case) squares into (wide and windswept) plazas. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 2

Let me ask you guys this about the MCC:  On the area I've circled in pink...what is contained within that area?  Is that area for offices?  Or is that part of the actual convention space?  Just wondering because some of that area would be great for future retail once the south side of the MCC becomes more popular...and would also be an area that could be used for expansion one day if it's not already used as convention space.

MCC.jpg

1 minute ago, titanhog said:

Let me ask you guys this about the MCC:  On the area I've circled in pink...what is contained within that area?  Is that area for offices?  Or is that part of the actual convention space?  Just wondering because some of that area would be great for future retail once the south side of the MCC becomes more popular...and would also be an area that could be used for expansion one day if it's not already used as convention space.

MCC.jpg

Much of that are offices

7 minutes ago, TheRaglander said:

Much of that are offices

That's good.  That leaves some room for future changes, if needed.  They could also build a short tower for offices over a portion of the end next to the roundabout (from 8th to 7th)...and then have retail from 7th to 5th (with some more retail in the tower).  Then...if they ever needed the space in the future for expansion, they wouldn't renew the retail leases and then build on.

Edited by titanhog

its also the area where trucks load and unload, all of their compactors are on that second level at the top of your circle.
the ground floor may be able to be changed on the far right side, but, the elevation ramp for our trucks starts on the bottom left side, then goes to the second level.

• Like 1

Gulch pedestrian bridge continues to move forward with a planning meeting last night.  No designs have been finalized yet, although it appears that it will, indeed by a variation the arch design a la Gateway/KVB Bridge.  Completion has been set for 2019.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2017/02/23/nashville-eyes-2019-completion-gulch-sobro-pedestrian-bridge/98302648/

5 hours ago, markhollin said:

Gulch pedestrian bridge continues to move forward with a planning meeting last night.  No designs have been finalized yet, although it appears that it will, indeed by a variation the arch design a la Gateway/KVB Bridge.  Completion has been set for 2019.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2017/02/23/nashville-eyes-2019-completion-gulch-sobro-pedestrian-bridge/98302648/

Why does this city hate non-cookie cutter designs? What was wrong with the original design? I promise Nashville gets the short end of the stick when it comes to design everytime. You see our peer cities getting these amazing designs and we just get the scraps. It's crazy

Edited by Nashtitans
  • Like 3