Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

11 hours ago, Vrtigo said:

I think the Olmstead (and BWSC, to some extent) will do a great deal to improve an apparently still pretty sketchy part of town. I visited one of the businesses over there last weekend and had to walk a few blocks as to not pay for parking.

During my brief walk, I was approached by several individuals looking for some form of assistance, which ordinarily wouldn't bother me very much. In fact, I'm relatively accustomed to being panhandled, but this may have been one of the first times ever that I have felt unsafe walking through any part of Nashville.

My wife's company just recently moved into SoBro, very close to LC's apartment property.  They have had some very seedy characters occasionally milling around outside their office area from time to time and have even had people defecate right outside their doors overnight and leave it there for the next morning.  These are somewhat rare, but there's definitely still a certain contingent in that area that will hopefully dwindle as more new development pushes that direction.

Edited by bmkTN

7 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Ooh boy! Some people have a lot of time on their hands. Actually, I find the styles in the banner to be ridiculously dated. The styles!  People need to move on from silly stuff like that. I'd guess that regardless of race, most people will think it's just a stupid looking banner. Hence, my original comment about Barry Gibb. 

I think it's pretty obvious and understandable why people might be upset by that advertisement in a transitioning neighborhood. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, samsonh said:

I think it's pretty obvious and understandable why people might be upset by that advertisement in a transitioning neighborhood. 

Yeah I fully understand why people are upset about this. Tons of people in this city are (rightfully) anti-gentrification and this doesn't help people support it. Especially in a neighborhood like this with rich African american history

Edited by Nashtitans
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, Nashville Cliff said:

I agree it wasn't the SoBro we know yet 10 years ago, but folks have been calling it SoBro since at least 1997, when Christine Kreyling wrote The Plan for SoBro for the Nashville Scene.  That plan was partly in response to Public Works bonehead proposal for a suburban-style connector from 24 to 65 across that part of town; Kreyling's plan was, I believe, instrumental in getting us the pedestrian and bike friendly KVB Avenue instead.

Is that plan still bouncing around somewhere, would be interesting to look at now.

The building on Church and 8th is getting demoed I'm guessing. Not entirely sure what's going on there. It's had scaffolding around it forever now. 

Church&8th.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bmkTN said:

My wife's company just recently moved into SoBro, very close to LC's apartment property.  They have had some very seedy characters occasionally milling around outside their office area from time to time and have even had people defecate right outside their doors overnight and leave it there for the next morning.  These are somewhat rare, but there's definitely still a certain contingent in that area that will hopefully dwindle as more new development pushes that direction.

I also work in that general area and have personally seen both sex acts and defecation in public. Despite that, I don't really feel that unsafe walking in SoBro.

Edited by Rockatansky

41 minutes ago, 17thandFisk said:

Ok, I might get blasted for this but here it goes.  I'm an african american who owns property in this area.  The area sat and atrophied for years and years and now people want to complain when there are good restaurants, new retail, and new energy moving into the area.  Gimme a break.  If you are so bothered now, where was that righteous indignation when the neighborhoods were falling apart.  If you want to preserve the rich history of the neighborhood then do so but to do that you have to get off the sidelines and do something.  Spend some money.  If you don't have it it pool your resources.   I understand the frustration but the answer is to compete not to beotch and moan.  Let the sniping begin...

Could not agree more.

21 hours ago, 17thandFisk said:

Ok, I might get blasted for this but here it goes.  I'm an african american who owns property in this area.  The area sat and atrophied for years and years and now people want to complain when there are good restaurants, new retail, and new energy moving into the area.  Gimme a break.  If you are so bothered now, where was that righteous indignation when the neighborhoods were falling apart.  If you want to preserve the rich history of the neighborhood then do so but to do that you have to get off the sidelines and do something.  Spend some money.  If you don't have it it pool your resources.   I understand the frustration but the answer is to compete not to beotch and moan.  Let the sniping begin...

I think I've met you once or twice 17thandFisk (perhaps it was someone in your immediate family with whom I came in contact regularly).  I reiterate that I'm not complaining, to say the very least, and my wishes are that this transformation eventually pervades the entire Jefferson street corridor from Germantown to the far end of Jefferson.  But I also agree with Samsonh and Nashtitans that it was simply a poor choice of theme selection for a banner, even if, as I stated earlier, it was inadvertent.

Edited by rookzie

On NC5, there was this video about this elderly black lady who was being harassed by developers so they can build some tall-skinnies or whatever. She wasn't budging, so the developers started doing criminal activity (they started damaging her house so she could be so financially-drained that she would have to sell it). She has to lock down her house everyday so the developers don't burglarize her house.

Forcing people (mainly minorities) out their homes just so they can build some tall skinnies or some expensive hipster coffee shop isn't good and kills diversity. Like a user said. gentrification has its advantages and disadvantages.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 17thandFisk said:

I think everyone wants Nashville to get better, Germantown to get better. You've made it clear you are a property owner in the area and want that value to improve. Understandable. 

Surely you can understand how gentrification is impacting some in a negative manner? Many of us on this board have greatly benefited financially from this boom we are undergoing, but it's important to help those who cannot capitalize in the same way. At least that my opinion.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Nashtitans said:

On NC5, there was this video about this elderly black lady who was being harassed by developers so they can build some tall-skinnies or whatever. She wasn't budging, so the developers started doing criminal activity (they started damaging her house so she could be so financially-drained that she would have to sell it). She has to lock down her house everyday so the developers don't burglarize her house.

Forcing people (mainly minorities) out their homes just so they can build some tall skinnies or some expensive hipster coffee shop isn't good and kills diversity. Like a user said. gentrification has its advantages and disadvantages.

I think that was just those developers. Not all developers.

From today's Tennessean:

An entity linked to a Nashville hotelier Nayan K. Patel has paid $2.5 million for 5.6 acres of vacant commercial land at 330 Athens Way in the MetroCenter area. Metgate LLC bought the site that's next door to the Parc at Metro Center apartments and behind Metro Center Teachers' Apartments from Kelly Lot Development Inc.

Patel couldn't be reached to ascertain his future plans for the site, which had once been eyed for an expansion of Parc at Metro Center. Locally, he owns a Motel 6 on Stewarts Ferry Pike, the Howard Johnson Downtown/Opryland Area on Brick Church Pike and the Hampton Inn Nashville/Goodlettsville in Goodlettsville.

The site is in the center of this screen shot (west side of Athens Way) from Smeagolsfree's excellent Development Map:

Screen Shot 2016-12-19 at 7.59.50 AM.png

The building that houses Peg Leg Porker is being redesigned into a larger restaurant with a roof-top deck.  From today's Nashville Post:

The 903 Gleaves St. restaurant would carry an approximately $1 million price tag. Nashville Business Journal was the first to report the development will include a second-level addition (with seating for at least 160 guests) and a commissary kitchen on the ground floor that would allow private dining usage.

Ashland City-based John F. Werne is serving as architect. Dowdle Construction will be the general contractor. The property falls within MDHA’s Art Center Redevelopment District and, as such, requires committee approval of site plan and exterior design.

Screen Shot 2016-12-19 at 3.35.57 PM.png

I just hope that bridge and resulting landing area don't affect Cannery Ballroom/Mercy/High Watt in a negative way. I love those venues and don't want them to go away.  However, it would be nice to have some bars to pre-game at that were a bit closer, something we have always complained about.

• Like 1