Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

They can do that just as easily, and more so, at the 2nd Ave location.  On the surface, an H-D does seem like a match made from Hell, but if Boswell thinks the speculation makes it viable, then I'm that much more open arms about the move, whether it lasts or not.  While not the epicenter of the tourist market, the location potentially stands to hold an advantage in accessibility, particularly with parking and noise-making.

I love hackberry trees.  Their distinctive smooth and warty bark, sometimes large prop roots, and the occasional bizarre, small twisted branches that grow straight from the trunk like little T Rex arms make them special to me.  Of course they're dirty so you don't want to park under one, but they have their place.

On 12/1/2016 at 2:37 PM, arkitekte said:

This. Also, any arborist that's worth talking to will tell you those put more of a harm on native plant species and trees than they're worth. 

Hackberries (Celtis occidentalis) are native here.  

They are a junk tree for lumbermen (and the householder whose spic and span garden aesthetic doesn't go beyond a weeping mulberry and some dwarf nandina on a sea of mulch), as their wood has little value, being heavy, soft and quick rotting, but they are rich in character.

They are much appreciated in China and Japan, where weeping cultivars of Celtis Chinensis have been bred.  They are an excellent subject for bonsai.  Plus their fruit is edible.  You should see two pictures below, please let me know if you don't.  Photobucket has become so erratic I'm thinking of switching to another picture host.

hackberry%20bonsai_zpsn19ok4yw.jpgweeping%20hackberry_zpsym3rup55.jpg

18 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Bradford Pear in my book as they love to come down in high wind and will not last much more than 15 to 20 years at the most.

Plus they look like lollipops.  They are like a child's idea of what a tree is supposed to look like.

Edited by Neigeville2
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, arkitekte said:

This. Also, any arborist that's worth talking to will tell you those put more of a harm on native plant species and trees than they're worth. 

Hackberries are native to the entire Midwest of North America, but as noted have few redeeming qualities, besides being easy to establish (weed is a better word).   Besides the messiness, the wood is soft and they easily break in storms.    I have several very old ones in my yard and spend my summer weekends pulling hundreds of tiny hackberry trees from my beds, thanks to the birds that "plant" the berries under any and every perch.   The hotter and dryer it gets, the happier these little suckers are.  Their little roots just reach down deeper and hold on like hell.   

• Like 2

Another junk tree would be a Royal Paulownia tree or Empress tree. These are the ones you see in the spring  on the sides of highways that have a purple or blue flower. Very, Very fast growers, but the wood is very valuable and they spread like crazy if you have any in your yard and are not kept in check. They can grow 4 to 15 feet in a year.

6 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Another junk tree would be a Royal Paulownia tree or Empress tree. These are the ones you see in the spring  on the sides of highways that have a purple or blue flower. Very, Very fast growers, but the wood is very valuable and they spread like crazy if you have any in your yard and are not kept in check. They can grow 4 to 15 feet in a year.

Another favorite of mine, and of the Victorians, whose fondness for tropical-like, large leaved plants like cannas led them to plant the invasive Paulownia widely.  Before you plant them for their valuable wood (valuable in Japan, where it is used for hope chests), I have heard that the only valuable type is fine grained wood from slower growing trees, which you get in the deep forests.  The roadside trees you see here grow very fast and produce a large grained wood that is less desirable  

For a lawn specimen, a good native choice to grow instead would be the catalpa, a beautiful old fashioned tree seldom sold these days.   

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Neigeville2 said:

Another favorite of mine, and of the Victorians, whose fondness for tropical-like, large leaved plants like cannas led them to plant the invasive Paulownia widely.  Before you plant them for their valuable wood (valuable in Japan, where it is used for hope chests), I have heard that the only valuable type is fine grained wood from slower growing trees, which you get in the deep forests.  The roadside trees you see here grow very fast and produce a large grained wood that is less desirable  

For a lawn specimen, a good native choice to grow instead would be the catalpa, a beautiful old fashioned tree seldom sold these days.   

Paulownias also thrive in densely urban environments and don't mind sprouting through asphalt parking lots or in narrow, lightless spaces between buildings.    Their profuse purple flowers look nice for about a week in spring, and the rest of the year the tree looks trashy.  

I believe that's at the NW and NE corners of Ash Street and 3rd Avenue South...  https://www.google.com/maps/place/3rd+and+Ash+street,+nashville/@36.1530793,-86.7713931,222m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x575959a3ad465421

I don't recall a rendering, but it's somewhere between 6 stories on one side and 10 stories on the other side of the street. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

I believe that's at the NW and NE corners of Ash Street and 3rd Avenue South...  https://www.google.com/maps/place/3rd+and+Ash+street,+nashville/@36.1530793,-86.7713931,222m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x575959a3ad465421

I don't recall a rendering, but it's somewhere between 6 stories on one side and 10 stories on the other side of the street. 

TENNESSEAN

• Like 2

From today's Nashville Post:

Dierks Bentley’s Whiskey Row on Broadway has landed a shell permit for work to be done at the planned live country music venue and restaurant, which was announced in January. The permit is valued at $1.8 million.

The Nashville location will be the third Dierks Bentley's Whiskey Row and the first outside Arizona, Bentley's home state, according to media reports from January.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Canuck87 said:

"Addition eyed for SoBro building roof"

Structure would house restaurant/bar, sit across Third from Cash museum.

http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20845872/addition-eyed-for-sobro-building-roof

A bit more information from the Tennessean:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2016/12/05/tequila-cowboys-owner-plans-new-downtown-concept/95008560/

• Like 1