Block 2 Tower (Proposed)

vdogg

1 hour ago, 23320 said:

Any chance is was approved back when they had Gateway Bank (?) as the anchor? Are there any time requirements on the approvals?

This is a good question. I know it did start the planning process back then, but since the design and scope of the tower has changed somewhat, they'll probably have to go through the process again.

4 hours ago, vdogg said:

Was this just recently updated? Need to start construction by fall to make that happen. Don't think this has been through planning yet but I'll start looking. Wish we could get 4 more floors out of this. 

It was updated 22 days ago.  So fairly recent.  Before then there wasn't a date on the brochure. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't think that we'll be seeing this tower anytime soon.  Around 50,000 SF of office space has come up for lease within town center over the past couple weeks.  That's a lot of space for town center and that won't be all.  I would bet we'll see the full buildout of Columbus Village into apartments before this gets off the ground.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Block 2 Tower has received another 3-year extension. I CAN'T believe I'm saying this, but I agree with Moss. Let's put this back on the market and farm it out to a developer that actually intends to do something with that land.

https://www.pilotonline.com/government/local/vp-nw-town-center-high-rise-0422-20210422-45aik77t3zdtjiqsp4iheytcsm-story.html

2 hours ago, vdogg said:

Block 2 Tower has received another 3-year extension. I CAN'T believe I'm saying this, but I agree with Moss. Let's put this back on the market and farm it out to a developer that actually intends to do something with that land.

https://www.pilotonline.com/government/local/vp-nw-town-center-high-rise-0422-20210422-45aik77t3zdtjiqsp4iheytcsm-story.html

See my post on Greenway Office Park/Olympia/Cutchins from 5 mins ago. Following his news which I reported there, I would bet that this will never be office and will turn out to be residential. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, baobabs727 said:

See my post on Greenway Office Park/Olympia/Cutchins from 5 mins ago. Following his news which I reported there, I would bet that this will never be office and will turn out to be residential. 

I agree with this.  The amount of available office space in town center has surged over the past few months and this isn't including companies that are looking to let go of space, but haven't had a chance to do so yet.  Residential and retail have held up pretty well, so I think residential is very likely.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Some interesting stuff from today's conference call...

" got to be careful about adding too much space, because you can't confuse full buildings with more demand coming from the outside. And so, fortunately, both at Harbor Point as well as Town Center, Virginia Beach, we control the available land, and so there's not going to be a danger of overbuilding.

For instance, right now, we have two tenants that are asking us as well as the City of Virginia Beach to launch another high rise development here at Town Center. We may do it, but we're not going to do it until we feel comfortable that the remaining space as opposed to that anchor is going to be filled at an advantageous rate for us. "

Hmmm....

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Lluck002 said:

I need this block developed into a tall mixed-use tower :tw_weary:

I live in Town Center and that surface parking lot irks me every single day I have to look at it.

Will try to see if there’s any clue as to what’s going on by asking around at work.

It's a big site that could have a couple towers on a base on it if they wanted to. 

On 12/30/2021 at 3:59 AM, HRVA said:

Block 2 is one of the smallest blocks in Town Center. The last rendering had a base that only had a slightly larger footprint than the tower. 

It's still a pretty large block compared to other cities. Though, if the plan is to build an office building, then one building that takes up much of the site makes more sense for floor space. If it is residential focused, then a two tower design or a tower and shorter tower makes more sense.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Armada Hoffler continues to invest in the Harbor Point development in Baltimore. It was reported that they’re acquiring the existing Exelon tower there and I think they’re building a couple of the midrises. I would be happy with any of these towers on Block 2 in Virginia Beach Town Center. Heck, flesh out the adjacent Columbus Village parcels with all of these!

As someone noted previously, Town Center’s newer development has started to take on a more modern feel. Mixed with the original architecture that was a little more classic, it feels like a true dynamic urban center that was developed organically, evolving over time. A few modern towers similar to these dotted throughout the Town Center area would mix so well with the existing towers to create a distinctive skyline.

One can dream, I suppose, but I really think at least Block 2 needs something substantial and modern. I’m gonna scream if it’s not at least taller than the Clark Nexsen Tower, haha.

3A420B7F-AD68-48A6-9965-BB10FB49B987.jpeg

Edited by Lluck002
  • Like 1

On 4/21/2018 at 10:35 PM, metalman said:

It will be nice if they get it up there. The massing looks better taller. :). That rendering has been out there so long, that's what I want to see.   It's an interesting design for this area.

It is not quite on the corner though.  There is still the Taco Bell.

That taco bell is Invincible. I swear one TC grows to engulf the surrounding areas of shopping locations the taco bell will still be there.

1 hour ago, Lluck002 said:

Armada Hoffler continues to invest in the Harbor Point development in Baltimore. It was reported that they’re acquiring the existing Exelon tower there and I think they’re building a couple of the midrises. I would be happy with any of these towers on Block 2 in Virginia Beach Town Center. Heck, flesh out the adjacent Columbus Village parcels with all of these!

As someone noted previously, Town Center’s newer development has started to take on a more modern feel. Mixed with the original architecture that was a little more classic, it feels like a true dynamic urban center that was developed organically, evolving over time. A few modern towers similar to these dotted throughout the Town Center area would mix so well with the existing towers to create a distinctive skyline.

One can dream, I suppose, but I really think at least Block 2 needs something substantial and modern. I’m gonna scream if it’s not at least taller than the Clark Nexsen Tower, haha.

I scrolled too fast and got really excited after seeing that picture. 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Lluck002 said:

This is the kind of developments I imagine would go up in downtown VB.

• Like 1