Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

AP3

11 hours ago, jessediebolt said:

The proportions seem odd, a bit similar to the stumpiness of LU1.

I love the stumpiness of LU1, or perhaps it's its girth.  That's the building that is always the first to capture my attention when I drive in from the airport.  It seems to stand proudly and boldly, making a commanding presence above I-277.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, jessediebolt said:

this is.... disappointing so far.

I agree. This building is too large to be this plain. Sure its a nice addition to the skyline and Uptown in general but this is too monotone for me. They could have thrown in at least one other material, one other design, or one other glass pattern to make this be more of a statement but I guess not. This is the high-rise version of those same copy and paste stick built apartments to me. 

Edited by j-man
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

54 minutes ago, j-man said:

I agree. This building is too large to be this plain. Sure its a nice addition to the skyline and Uptown in general but this is too monotone for me. They could have thrown in at least one other material, one other design, or one other glass pattern to make this be more of a statement but I guess not. This is the high-rise version of those same copy and past stick built apartments to me. 

You mean, the Super Wal-mart of CBD office buildings?

Ha, that's harsh.

On 12/27/2021 at 9:40 AM, JBS said:

I agree. It's much too soon to be criticizing how the top looks. I get that we've been disappointed previously (looking at you Ally, though the top is fortunately the worst part of that project). I still think this is going to look like the renderings, and those look great. 

I don't think anyone is criticizing the top actually. Its the entire building and how bland it is. The top is not bad at all. But some excitement or flair would have been great for this tower. Thats all. 

14 minutes ago, j-man said:

I don't think anyone is criticizing the top actually. Its the entire building and how bland it is. The top is not bad at all. But some excitement or flair would have been great for this tower. Thats all. 

I like this building better than LU1

• Like 2

The height is nice and all... what will be facing Tryon at the ground level? Are we getting some street activation or another grand lobby that kills all signs of human life like Duke Energy Center across the street? Hoping it becomes less easy in the future to take photos like the one above where there isn't a single human soul in that entire plaza.... looks depressing. 

Edited by CLT2014

30 minutes ago, norm21499 said:

I like this building better than LU1

TBH I do too just because LU1 looks so ancient. But in actuality, I like this better than DE1. DE1 has no street activity and the top is overrated on it to me.  So even though I have my complaints about DE2 I'd prefer it over DE1. I know many will disagree with me. 

48 minutes ago, j-man said:

You've seen literally 2 renderings of this building, none of which show off any of its details, as its zoomed out to see a 600' tall building.... What was it my mom said, "Don't judge a book by its cover." You aren't even judging it by the cover, you are judging it before it's even been bound. Maybe let people finish the damn building.

Edited by TheRealClayton

2 minutes ago, TheRealClayton said:

You've seen literally 2 renderings of this building, none of which show off any of its details, as its zoomed out to see a 600' tall building.... What was it my mom said, "Don't judge a book by its cover." You aren't even judging it by the cover, you are judging it before it's even been bound. Maybe let people finish the damn building.

Dude.....I see this building literally everyday...... And literally 95% of the exterior is done and it all looks the the same from bottom to nearly the top.:rolleyes:

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, j-man said:

Dude.....I see this building literally everyday...... And literally 95% of the exterior is done and it all looks the the same from bottom to nearly the top.:rolleyes:

So if you see it everyday then you know that  0% of what will make the building different is done, the street level and the crown. You are judging the glass curtain wall that goes from floor 2 to floor 40. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, TheRealClayton said:

So if you see it everyday then you know that  0% of what will make the building different is done, the street level and the crown. You are judging the glass curtain wall that goes from floor 2 to floor 40. 

You're missing the point. I know its mostly done. And  I stated that is is bland to me and not that interesting to look at.  What are you not comprehending?  Its not a terrible building but I know I will like it more once the crown in on, which I like the crown renderings. 

21 minutes ago, j-man said:

You're missing the point. I know its mostly done. And  I stated that is is bland to me and not that interesting to look at.  What are you not comprehending?  Its not a terrible building but I know I will like it more once the crown in on, which I like the crown renderings. 

You are missing the point, you are judging the bland part of the building, so of course you will think its bland. I'm saying stop giving your opinion until the entire building is done. Easy as that, let it finish and then I'll gladly listen to your opinion. Until then, you'll just be judging a glass curtain wall, and I see no value in that opinion.

Edited by TheRealClayton
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheRealClayton said:

You are missing the point, you are judging the bland part of the building, so of course you will think its bland. I'm saying stop giving your opinion until the entire building is done. Easy as that, let it finish and then I'll gladly listen to your opinion. Until then, you'll just be judging a glass curtain wall, and I see no value in that opinion.

And once again you're missing my opinion. If a building is 600 ft and literally 550 + ft of the building is the same and I don't like it, chances are I won't like the finished product that much. I said loooong ago that I would problaby like It more with the crown but on a scale from 0-10 its like a 5 to me and a crown won't make it a 10. 

Edited by j-man