Charlotte Street Gridding, Connectivity and Guiding Future Expansion

Map

• Zoom level 18 is the to-scale size of two-lane roads used (can be seen in the URL, "...&z=18").
  • Probably better tools, this was my choice of impatience, suggestions welcome.
  • Editing open, no personal attachment, new layers can be added if this one is not worth fixing.
  • If a visual Master Plan exists for this with CRTPO, MTS, etc., please post that.

Goals:

• Connect transportation routes (roads initially).
  • Correct bad layout/encourage better future layout.
  • Provide egress/access for developments with insufficient options (ie only one).
  • Guide future development with base nodes.

Limitations:

• Invoke "Eminent Domain" as seldomly as possible (especially on expensive properties).
  • Disturb watershed and the environment as little as possible.
  • Preserve public/civic lands (parks, cemeteries, sports fields, etc.).
  • Resist temptation to "design" (ie neighborhoods/development), just connect or master-plan.
  • Be judicial in rail/water/interstate crossings.

Notes/Questions:

• Violated above principals, notably: 
    •  Alexander Street Park, because it is adjacent to uptown, and many similar alternatives within walking distance.
    •  Three streets bisecting the Elmwood & Pinewood cemeteries.
    •  Connecting the grid in 4th Ward, argument being future planning/greater good/access.
  • Left Eastland alone, Chernobyl.
  • Power lines/towers are obviously a problem in Charlotte, many places where it is simply a tangled mess, not sure if that issue will reach a critical point in which utilities such as these can be dealt with, can they?
  • What rail tracks are defunct and can be "erased"?
  • When can a creek be "capped"?

Pipe dreams and wishes.  Collaborate and listen.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, nowensone said:

Map

• Zoom level 18 is the to-scale size of two-lane roads used (can be seen in the URL, "...&z=18").
  • Probably better tools, this was my choice of impatience, suggestions welcome.
  • Editing open, no personal attachment, new layers can be added if this one is not worth fixing.
  • If a visual Master Plan exists for this with CRTPO, MTS, etc., please post that.

Goals:

• Connect transportation routes (roads initially).
  • Correct bad layout/encourage better future layout.
  • Provide egress/access for developments with insufficient options (ie only one).
  • Guide future development with base nodes.

Limitations:

• Invoke "Eminent Domain" as seldomly as possible (especially on expensive properties).
  • Disturb watershed and the environment as little as possible.
  • Preserve public/civic lands (parks, cemeteries, sports fields, etc.).
  • Resist temptation to "design" (ie neighborhoods/development), just connect or master-plan.
  • Be judicial in rail/water/interstate crossings.

Notes/Questions:

• Violated above principals, notably: 
    •  Alexander Street Park, because it is adjacent to uptown, and many similar alternatives within walking distance.
    •  Three streets bisecting the Elmwood & Pinewood cemeteries.
    •  Connecting the grid in 4th Ward, argument being future planning/greater good/access.
  • Left Eastland alone, Chernobyl.
  • Power lines/towers are obviously a problem in Charlotte, many places where it is simply a tangled mess, not sure if that issue will reach a critical point in which utilities such as these can be dealt with, can they?
  • What rail tracks are defunct and can be "erased"?
  • When can a creek be "capped"?

Pipe dreams and wishes.  Collaborate and listen.

Can you add one from Alexander to Hill? over 277 Thats on the books with DOT. 

1 hour ago, grodney said:

Is there a "maps" URL instead of a "drive" URL?  Asking for a friend behind a site-blocker that's picky.

Yeah that was the URL when selecting the share option, the "base" URL is this.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1aMZrT_BtR4Ex62C49hqoJvVY3nY&ll=35.2129034850015%2C-80.80546492166775&z=16

Didn't see any option to embed an iframe or equivalent similar to the "Center City Development Maps" thread.

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Can you add one from Alexander to Hill? over 277 Thats on the books with DOT. 

Added, but thats an interesting one, as neither Hill nor Alexander continue beyond their immediate intersections, unless they plan to extend Alexander in several places.

16 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

The Center City Development Map does reflect a few connections that either the city has planned (ex: around bojangles coliseum) or show up in master plans (ex: scaleybark development) https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PhrG6g0gM_6_33x4ixzkhtPGb94&usp=sharing

Thanks, will review.

1 hour ago, nowensone said:

Added, but thats an interesting one, as neither Hill nor Alexander continue beyond their immediate intersections, unless they plan to extend Alexander in several places.

Thanks, will review.

Technically I think its supposed to be Euclid, but there is definitely a substation there.

4 hours ago, nowensone said:

Yeah that was the URL when selecting the share option, the "base" URL is this.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1aMZrT_BtR4Ex62C49hqoJvVY3nY&ll=35.2129034850015%2C-80.80546492166775&z=16

Didn't see any option to embed an iframe or equivalent similar to the "Center City Development Maps" thread.

I believe that you would need to change the permissions for the map to be public on the web in order to embed it.

Connect Louise across independence.   Clement to Shenandoah.  Belmont Ave to Hawthorne. 10th to McDowell (grades would be a challenge).  I don't like your changes breaking up the Greenway through Belmont.... unless of course those are arched stone bridges designed by Fred Law Olmsted or Calvert Vaux

^ That's sweet... yeah I don't see that mentality being reality though.

Reality, I've not explored most of Charlotte, despite having lived there and driven or walked an ass-ton of it, including areas I've been informed I should not have, not a brag, simply that it would be very uncommon for a person to truly know all of a city, so any thing that does not make sense, delete.

Some things I've seen would definitely have to be done over, correctly, its cringe-worthy some of the new developments that are dense, yet horrible from an urban planning perspective, and/or have razed forests without even attempting to recreate them, would have thought we're past that kind of stupidity by now.

Archived