Downtown Greensboro is getting a Westin Hotel

cityboi

Someone on another forum pointed out that a in a similar structure built in Fayetteville where they built development on top of a parking deck, they had a tower crane build the deck, they removed it and brought in a bigger tower crane to build the 7 or 8 stories on top of the deck. This is probably what is happening with the Westin Greensboro.  This is good news they have removed the crane because they are just about ready to build the hotel on top with another crane specifically for the hotel on top.

Edited by cityboi

57 minutes ago, gman430 said:

I hope you’re right but I am still not convinced. Why build some of the first floor of the hotel then just stop with rebar exposed? And if the tower crane was only for the garage why have it that tall in the first place? 

Yeah...I've actually seen tower cranes of that height build low-rise development. Alot of it has to do with the footprint of the structure. That deck is pretty long.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, AlmaPinnix said:

I have a feeling the Westin will go up quick, once Ryan Companies figures out the lot across the street.

I agree. That's what they're waiting on at this point. But I think it'll be 4-5 years before that is built... and I'd bet the Westin won't be built TOO soon before.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2024 at 10:51 PM, AlmaPinnix said:

The Westin construction was supposed to begin once the city completes the construction on the Davie Street parking deck, which was scheduled to open in February 2024, but was pushed back to April.

I'll believe it when I see it.  I have tangentially involved in this job since 2017 and have pretty much lost hope at this point.  It almost seems the city's whole goal with this project is to drive Cincy's out of business. 

2 hours ago, Poo Diddy said:

I'll believe it when I see it.  I have tangentially involved in this job since 2017 and have pretty much lost hope at this point.  It almost seems the city's whole goal with this project is to drive Cincy's out of business. 

Agree. I thought this would cone along with the Ryan proposal. Now that that's gone...

I agree. The Westin isn't going to happen. Or if it eventually does, it'll be as a lower grade hotel.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/9/2024 at 10:51 PM, AlmaPinnix said:

The Westin construction was supposed to begin once the city completes the construction on the Davie Street parking deck, which was scheduled to open in February 2024, but was pushed back to April.

Welp..it’s April. Saw tumbleweeds rolling by the site. 

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Welp..it’s April. Saw tumbleweeds rolling by the site. 

Leaders said at the State of Downtown meeting this week that construction on the Westin will begin within 5 months.

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, cityboi said:

Leaders said at the State of Downtown meeting this week that construction on the Westin will begin within 5 months.

Considering there are posts from 7 years ago proclaiming that construction would be starting soon, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Edited by HRVT
  • Like 1

Like others have spoken, I'm  not optimistic that the construction will begin within 5 months. We heard this tune last year that the hotel was supposed to began construction after August or late Fall.  How many projects, blueprints, news reports have we all read about and seen on the local news about this and that downtown? Examples: Carroll South of the Ballpark { 6 Story Apartments & Hotel} around that parking deck near the Ballpark.  Because of the City Council and Mayor, Roy Carroll aborted his plans to build the 20 & 12 Stories Skyscrapers .  Or the planned 5 Story Apartment Building called the Lofts @ 110 MLK. Then the delay in tearing down the old News & Record Building. What about the 6,000 seat USL Stadium/Amphitheaters that was talked about?  Then you had the Lidi Project fail, but then two different offers came in to build something else, like Single Apartments plans by the Out of State Company. What is the problem, why does they parade Zack Matheny on the News Stations like WFMY & WGHP to speak about all these grand plans for downtown then years past by and we still have nothing to show. That Westin Hotel should have been started. I understand Covid pushed things back. The more they wait, the higher the price for materials will go up, then the excuse will be, WE HAVE TO DOWNGRADE THESE PROJECTS!!! I am beyond frustrated with this City Council and Mayor. Durham, Raleigh, Charlotte, Columbia, SC & Greenville, SC, Norfolk, VA are building and have redeveloping their downtowns, while we slow foot it!

15 hours ago, cityboi said:

And come September the developer will come up with another excuse as to why construction hasn’t started yet. Due to the solar eclipse causing a huge solar panel blackout we can’t build the hotel. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, gman430 said:

And come September the developer will come up with another excuse as to why construction hasn’t started yet. Due to the solar eclipse causing a huge solar panel blackout we can’t build the hotel. 

Nah... there will be radio silence until December or later. Then another start date. Unless they finally decide to move on... maybe building some apartments/condos is a better idea there.