Scott's Addition Development

varunner

2 hours ago, Brent114 said:

After you clam down, zoom into the rendering provided in the link (a few posts back).  Not a single building in the rendering, aside from the ball park, has an intended purpose or perspective tenant. 

None of this is real.  It’s a best case scenario vision board.  And that is  all well and good.  People here tend to get ahead of themselves though.  When a vision doesn’t materialize everyone freaks out.   None of this was promised.  Hopes go up, and if a year later structures aren’t rising  people start acting like city council is stuck outside of City Hall pushing a door that reads “pull”. 

Something eventually will happen with this land.  Maybe it will be even better than what is depicted here.  But there’s no rush to build office buildings that may sit empty, certainly not with interest rates north of 7%..  

I’m very pro development (10 years or so of my posts will prove that).  I tend to not get distracted by by wishful thinking and only chime in on posts about things not yet settled (Navy Hill, Diamond District, Green City) to manage people’s expectations.   I only get cranky about it when people baselessly blame City hall for a lack of market demand. 

You talk about being pro development but you are pro development yet in a negative light. Yes I agree with you no need in building office or stores of any kind when interest rates are north of 7 percent. Really shouldn’t even build housing at the moment until interests rates are way way down. I have zero faith in most anything anymore government federal reserve people who want to crash all markets including the office market and want to work from home. Sorry I sound so negative but I think we have reached a point where none of this will ever get better. I don’t see any sign of interest rates or inflation ever coming down ever again. If anything I see both continuing to go up to where nobody has anywhere to live or do anything. I’m very irritated with how all development has come and gone. I think office development is about gone for good sadly.

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Residential demand isn't like it was a year or two ago, but also shouldn't be an issue at this project.  

Is this a natural/cyclical dip in demand due to the recent spate of construction or is it a not-so-favorable harbinger of something more worrisome (as in Richmond's growth slowing)?

4 hours ago, Brent114 said:

After you clam down, zoom into the rendering provided in the link (a few posts back).  Not a single building in the rendering, aside from the ball park, has an intended purpose or perspective tenant. 

None of this is real.  It’s a best case scenario vision board.  And that is  all well and good.  People here tend to get ahead of themselves though.  When a vision doesn’t materialize everyone freaks out.   None of this was promised.  Hopes go up, and if a year later structures aren’t rising  people start acting like city council is stuck outside of City Hall pushing a door that reads “pull”. 

Something eventually will happen with this land.  Maybe it will be even better than what is depicted here.  But there’s no rush to build office buildings that may sit empty, certainly not with interest rates north of 7%..  

I’m very pro development (10 years or so of my posts will prove that).  I tend to not get distracted by by wishful thinking and only chime in on posts about things not yet settled (Navy Hill, Diamond District, Green City) to manage people’s expectations.   I only get cranky about it when people baselessly blame City hall for a lack of market demand. 

The city has officially said the development was on a 15 year timeline. That's disappointing, but they were upfront about it. That said I'm with others that it's very disappointing we haven't at least seen some movement. Would be nice to at least get the new diamond in there as an anchor along with at prepping the other areas - tear down old structures, new road crossing through the property, run any water mains, etc.  The other developments would at least have a chance to come in if that happened.

I do think there will be fairly strong demand for 1-2 large residential buildings and a hotel pretty quick off the bat. Supposedly there has been intense interest in that area for years for some major retail due to being at the confluence of 95 and 64. I'm not sure that exists anymore given retail is dead everywhere. We'll see, but we won't be able to until they at least build the new diamond and prep the rest of the site.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Gexckos said:

Capitol Square has posted the construction cam for the apartments on Clay and Marshall Streets. 

https://mds.multivista.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=aPublicWebcam.page&WebcamPublicPageUID=840F216A-600B-4225-84EC-90915322FE8F

Here's the projects page on their site too.

https://capitalsq.com/case-studies/2922-west-marshal-street/

FANTASTIC find!!! I was wondering if Cap Square was going to post a live webcam similar to what they did with their other Scott's Addition projects. SO glad to see they did. Looks like this camera is posted on the east side of The Summit - or near there. Really cool to sit and watch all the activity. They're really cranking away on this.

VERY much silver-hardware worthy, my friend. Mazal Tov!! You've earned yourself a lovely and decorative piece of VERY prestigious (and highly coveted) RVA/UP silverware for this week. Well done!

Thanks for posting this cam link - definitely bookmarking it.

image.png.7548362968b3cbabab81a594c70c0398.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gexckos said:

Capitol Square has posted the construction cam for the apartments on Clay and Marshall Streets. 

https://mds.multivista.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=aPublicWebcam.page&WebcamPublicPageUID=840F216A-600B-4225-84EC-90915322FE8F

Awesome angle - we should be able to see the Ace and Outlier projects progress too from this vantage point. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, whw53 said:

Awesome angle - we should be able to see the Ace and Outlier projects progress too from this vantage point. 

Yep - we sure should be able to see both projects rising. AND - if you'll notice off in the distance on the horizon, we can seen the top of one of the boom cranes at the CoStar site. So, depending on weather conditions and visibility, we should also be able to see the CoStar tower rising in the distance.

Check it out!

Screenshot (3489).png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

On 12/5/2023 at 9:44 AM, Gexckos said:

BTW, this is my new favorite webcam!  Best of all - it’s live with movement!!  Thanks for posting!

Would love to find one like this for the CoStar project. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, eandslee said:

BTW, this is my new favorite webcam!  Best of all - it’s live with movement!!  

I have to admit that I'm addicted to watching this live webcam. It's a really cool "window on Richmond" and last night I sat with this stream running on my PC for quite a while. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

1C14316E-7644-4232-AE6D-9E13A573B0E4.jpeg

Humble thanks, my friend. You'll need to build an add-on to your home for all the RVA/UP silver hardware you're piling up this year. Mind you - OUR silver hardware is far and away MUCH more valuable, more prestigious and more highly coveted than the Lombardi Trophy and the Stanley Cup combined. Just stating that for the record.

Thanks for taking and posting!

image.png.ae4ef6b1ae0c3d98b23b80b8ae68a765.png

On 12/8/2023 at 1:11 PM, Child2021 said:

image.thumb.png.380bbdc84d5bea3c43d937d50c610a47.png

New one in red, and existing/soon existing in blue. 

So we can for sure identify three of the four. But what's the "X2" in blue off in the distance? CoStar is off in the distance on the right. What's that one in the middle labeled "X2"? Is that the four-story office building on the Sauer campus?

• Like 1

And off Hermitage- if the Duplex Station and/or the project to replace the Vatex facility (the Porter??) break ground in next six months they should be captured in this view as well.  I think the latter is close to breaking ground, we were expecting the former to be underway by now..

Oh ditto for the site next to Movieland- same developer as the underway Ace project right- Level 2..

Edited by whw53
  • Like 1