Orlando City Place

Jaybee

That's certainly about the cheesiest (sp) thing I've ever seen in my life...in any event, will never get built...

Jeez, everybody and his brother has become a skeptic. Me ? I'll be cutting-edge and play the role of the optimist.

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Orlando City Place is a lot further along then most of you think. The SPA is starting construction in August. They are not building the SPA just for the Lexington. This project already has a track record. They put $25 Million into the Lexington already. They will begin selling the condos in the towers around September and they will be reasonably priced for Downtown (200's). This one will not have the difficulty selling like TT...All we have seen is constant movement with this project. There is a lot of money behind this one....

I understand that this project would be huge for downtown, but it's just flat out u-g-l-y. It's just a bunch of rectangles of equal heights and proportions that are far too symmetrical (and I love symmetry) with typically boring Orlando-style facades.

I can't express how much I hope this gets built. Look at how massive this project is. The Lexington already makes a mark on the skyline, a small one, but it is noticeable and it almost disappears in relation to the rest of the project.

true, but it'll be a great start for the other side of I-4 ....which mean taller towers will be built.

I actually really like the design, always have. The orientation of the buildings with relation to one another leave a bit to be desired, but so does the location. Put this thing on the PBLT lot and I have a new favorite. And although they work well together, it just seems that provided nothing changes around it, the buildings do nothing to work with the surrounding enviornement. Orlando gets another hole in the skyline. Clearly if you build it perhaps other projects might infill around it but that can be a tough sell to someone when you are asking them to lease a nominal amount of office space.

IMO, probably the biggest hurdle for this project is going to be the presentation. I think we can all agree that between demand and cost this won't be built as one big project. So then what is your option? Build in phases: REALLY expensive, or nothing happens at all and the whole project dispapears (unfortunate). Owners have a tendency to think in a big picture with very little thought as to the expense up front. When the RFP gets presented he'll s**t his pants. Putting $25 million into a rehab, today, is nothing, as is the obtainment of the necessary financing. He would already have the Lexington complete and would own some valuable land. Chances become very high that he decides to just sit on the land and let the project pay for itself. My other concern is that if this project is able to be filled it will all but disolve any outstanding demand both commercially and residentially for quite sometime.

Any ideas?

Clearly if you build it perhaps other projects might infill around it but that can be a tough sell to someone when you are asking them to lease a nominal amount of office space.

Any ideas?

There will be Main & Main. That's big and close but I-4 and SR 50 (one of the Mains) effectively create a monster separation. The other issue I see is that the west face is basically a wall, so it would be very difficult to get any synergy going in that direction and the east face, which is the welcoming side, faces the interstate. This is basically designed to be an island. A NICE island but an island none the less.

Orlando gets another hole in the skyline.

I think this helps fill what would otherwise be the biggest hole in Orlando's skyline, especially when viewed from the East or West. We'll have downtown and uptown but this project fills in the gap at SR50 and I-4. It will tie it all together and make Orlando's skyline look like it's two miles long. I see this as a 7 to 10 year project. The first tall building might get started in 3 years and be finished in 5. The second started in 5 years and finished in 7. The third building in 7 years and finished about 10 years from now. It would be great to see it get built at once, but that would saturate condo demand and make this and other projects economically unviable.

THey should have torn down the Holiday Inn and used sales for those units for this project. THis project looks like Civic Opera House in Chicago, but with bldgs inside the "U". THye should have created a public space in that area instead, ala Rockefeller Center. Now, its just going to be a big cluster of nice bldgs surrounding lesser bldgs facing Hughey.

No roads lead to it. It should be a destination location but its not. Maybe they should build it on top of Colonial instead and give it a USPS Chicago effect for Colonial Drive (they'd have to purchase the old Magic store though.

THe good thing is that the twin to Lexington is more symmetrical to it now, which is an improvement. And this new design is less governmental-looking than the last one, and the two towers look a little like the original Solaire scheme, which I like.

Don't know which would be first of the taller buildings, but I remember reading the one on the North side of the property would be the last one built. That makes me think they would build the big one in the middle first, then the South building, and then the North building last.

...THye should have created a public space in that area instead, ala Rockefeller Center. Now, its just going to be a big cluster of nice bldgs surrounding lesser bldgs facing Hughey.

No roads lead to it. It should be a destination location but its not.

Then why create a public space in an area where nobody goes?

Then why create a public space in an area where nobody goes?

Don't you think that if the project is compeleted that it would become a destination in and of itself. Who went to the area where Disney is now before WDW was constructed? Supply creates demand.

There is nothing around this currently. Not many restaurants, not many stores, not many bars/social settings. Everything is a good walk to get to thats why the location isn't great at this time.

This can/will change over time. That time just isn't here yet.

But again, that's basically true of the other projects I referenced, neither of which has drawn concerns about location.

Archived