Grand Rapids Restaurant Rumor Mill

dbrok

3 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

Considering the money they have backing this place, if there was ever a spot in Grand Rapids to try a bit of an "out there" concept, this would be it. I'm not saying it has to be crazy, but an interesting tasting menu, or just look to the trends in Chicago, NY, San Francisco, and try something we've never had in GR before. And it better not be a Tapas place...

I really want GR to get a high-end sushi spot like the ones that you see in bigger cities. It isn't anything "out there", but it's something that we don't currently have. 

6 hours ago, Zads said:

Reserve Wine and Food is closing in May, changing concepts and coming back again later in the year.

Side note: Crain's now is subscription based. Highly recommend getting a sub, they do great work.

https://www.crainsgrandrapids.com/news/restaurants-1/devos-owned-reserve-wine-and-food-to-close-for-renovations-ahead-of-new-concept

Been here multiple times, great location, lots of fun. Can't wait to see the new food menu and the expansion.

Dang.  Crain's hooked me on all those free articles - goodbye money!  They do a great job!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RiversideGR said:

I really want GR to get a high-end sushi spot like the ones that you see in bigger cities. It isn't anything "out there", but it's something that we don't currently have. 

An Omakase style Sushi spot would be awesome. Even a Japanese (non-sushi) tasting menu place would be awesome. 

• Like 1

Since we got sushi on the mind, I think GR is ready for conveyor belt sushi, which IMO is the ultimate sushi experience, and needs to be a bigger thing in the US.  I think Kura is the biggest US chain, and they only have a few locations (but they have 2 in Detroit).

Edited by RegalTDP
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

DDA is phasing out on street dining (in the next month; at the very least, why didn't they wait until winter?) and businesses will have to apply for the "parklet" program. I This seems short-sighted at a time that restaurants downtown seem to be churning a bit:

https://www.woodtv.com/news-from-our-partners-at-crains-grand-rapids-business/

Joe

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

San Chez Bistro has opened a deli in Bridgewater Place.

Paywall: https://www.crainsgrandrapids.com/news/restaurants-1/san-chez-bistro-owner-opens-new-deli-concept-at-bridgewater-place/

"The new, 900-square-foot restaurant, located in unit 240 within Bridgewater Place at 333 Bridge St. NW, offers breakfast and deli-style lunch options.

The grab-and-go restaurant is a new model for Lotterman-Schneider, whose other restaurants focus on elevating international cuisines, but it’s one she’s looking forward to molding to customer interests over time. "
  • Like 2

On 5/3/2024 at 1:58 PM, Zads said:

San Chez Bistro has opened a deli in Bridgewater Place.

Paywall: https://www.crainsgrandrapids.com/news/restaurants-1/san-chez-bistro-owner-opens-new-deli-concept-at-bridgewater-place/

"The new, 900-square-foot restaurant, located in unit 240 within Bridgewater Place at 333 Bridge St. NW, offers breakfast and deli-style lunch options.

The grab-and-go restaurant is a new model for Lotterman-Schneider, whose other restaurants focus on elevating international cuisines, but it’s one she’s looking forward to molding to customer interests over time. "

Very cool, but kind of surprising. I would have thought in-building delis in stand-alone, isolated office buildings were an antiquated business model post-Covid.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Khorasaurus1 said:

Very cool, but kind of surprising. I would have thought in-building delis in stand-alone, isolated office buildings were an antiquated business model post-Covid.

I was having this same conversation with some friends over the weekend. Perhaps they're banking on the food delivery services/apps and residents of River House to keep them busy. 

On 5/6/2024 at 11:53 AM, Khorasaurus1 said:

They were getting antiquated even before Covid.

The Win Tavern's downtown location isn't going to happen, but it will happen on Bridge Street.

Paywall: https://www.crainsgrandrapids.com/news/food-drink/jenison-tavern-owner-plans-new-bar-on-bridge-street-its-just-hopping-there/

"Last year, the city approved plans for the restaurant and bar at a vacant downtown building at 59 Commerce Ave. SW. However, Wahl said construction stopped in January 2024 on the project."

"Plans call for a take-out window on Seward Avenue. The bar’s menu will be from-scratch pub fare with a chili dog mimicking the Lafayette Coney Island hot dog in Detroit and a variety of other options that will likely include a smash burger and hand-dredged chicken. The drink menu also will feature brands from both Grand Rapids and Detroit, Wahl said."

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Zads said:

The Win Tavern's downtown location isn't going to happen, but it will happen on Bridge Street.

Paywall: https://www.crainsgrandrapids.com/news/food-drink/jenison-tavern-owner-plans-new-bar-on-bridge-street-its-just-hopping-there/

"Last year, the city approved plans for the restaurant and bar at a vacant downtown building at 59 Commerce Ave. SW. However, Wahl said construction stopped in January 2024 on the project."

"Plans call for a take-out window on Seward Avenue. The bar’s menu will be from-scratch pub fare with a chili dog mimicking the Lafayette Coney Island hot dog in Detroit and a variety of other options that will likely include a smash burger and hand-dredged chicken. The drink menu also will feature brands from both Grand Rapids and Detroit, Wahl said."

Funny I come to UrbanPlanet to learn about plans for a building we sold!  Ha!

I knew what it was going to be, but I wondered what the hold up was.  My wife moved out in January.  Eager to check it out!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Great news. This and Sip Shine will really help stretch the entertainment district on Bridge further west and should help some of the other bars in the area. If I were looking for a spot to open a bar / nightclub, it would be hard to deny that Bridge Street is the new epicenter for entertainment. Sounds like a good, non-flashy west side bar.

Joe

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Zads said:

I wondered about the 59 Commerce location.  Lots of competition in that area (Arena to SoDiv)... 

3 minutes ago, cstonesparty said:

I wondered about the 59 Commerce location.  Lots of competition in that area (Arena to SoDiv)... 

Yes, when they bought our building I said to Julie, "They've got to be moving that project to your building."  I didn't think they'd do two places.  This is a great location for it!

• Like 1

Cottage Inn Pizza is back in GR. Eastown location with plans for a west side location by 2025 (Leonard or Stockbridge neighborhoods). They also talk about a possibility for a bar restaurant Cottage Inn Pizza in downtown.

Paywall: https://www.crainsgrandrapids.com/news/restaurants-1/cottage-inn-plots-return-with-first-grand-rapids-location-in-17-years/"

"The pizzeria is takeout and delivery only, and will serve the Eastown and East Grand Rapids area with pizza, subs, calzones, pasta, wings and more. "

"Comiskey also hopes downtown Grand Rapids could be a good fit for Cottage Inn’s newest full-service bar and restaurant concept, dubbed Cottage Inn Pizza and Pub. The flagship Cottage Inn Pizza and Pub’s location is in Davison with a second location underway in Big Rapids. "

• Like 2

Broadleaf is "doing a BOB" and re-opening on the westside. Don't really understand how companies change directions so radically, but would be cool to see them fully lean into the beercade concept (they seemed to be fully embracing?) weeks before closing.

Joe

• Like 3

7 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Broadleaf is "doing a BOB" and re-opening on the westside. Don't really understand how companies change directions so radically, but would be cool to see them fully lean into the beercade concept (they seemed to be fully embracing?) weeks before closing.

Joe

I saw that yesterday too and had to do a double take.  I remember reading an article where Jason Spaulding stated they would have had to make double the revenue in that spot to be a viable restaurant/bar. I wonder what this new concept will be. Perhaps @GRDadof3 can use his real estate knowledge to lend some insight into what might be happening with them. 

Maybe with the Stadium in the works, they want to stick it out. Or they couldn't get anyone to sublease from them and figured it would be better to make some money instead of just paying rent on an empty space. It was always one of my favorite spots on Bridge Street, I hope it can stay open. 

• Like 2

A new coffee shop is opening in Ada. It's also going to open a location in Holland.

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2024/05/new-coffee-shop-opens-in-ada-will-be-chains-first-location-in-michigan.html

15 minutes ago, Pattmost20 said:

Maybe with the Stadium in the works, they want to stick it out. Or they couldn't get anyone to sublease from them and figured it would be better to make some money instead of just paying rent on an empty space. It was always one of my favorite spots on Bridge Street, I hope it can stay open. 

I've heard that it was they couldn't find anyone to sublease the space. I feel bad for the staff they let go there, I wonder how it'll do. I hope it does well, I enjoy their beer and the food they had was quite good. I imagine it'll have to be something different though if it wasn't successful last go-around. Maybe just a bar with snacks?

8 hours ago, Zads said:

A new coffee shop is opening in Ada. It's also going to open a location in Holland.

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2024/05/new-coffee-shop-opens-in-ada-will-be-chains-first-location-in-michigan.html

I've heard that it was they couldn't find anyone to sublease the space. I feel bad for the staff they let go there, I wonder how it'll do. I hope it does well, I enjoy their beer and the food they had was quite good. I imagine it'll have to be something different though if it wasn't successful last go-around. Maybe just a bar with snacks?

A DeVos joint lol, no thanks

• Confused 1

23 hours ago, Zads said:

The bummer is that I really liked their food before. The Ramen and Bao Buns were awesome and pretty different than anything else on Bridge Street. I think awareness is a big issue. A lot of people I talked to didn't seem to know they were there. 

• Like 1