Grand Rapids Restaurant Rumor Mill

dbrok

<br />We've been there a couple of times and have always had good food and service.  I'm not holding my breath much on their liquor license since that same sign has been there since at least March.  I know there are a lot of hoops to jump through for that stuff, so hopefully it's still happening.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Cinco de Mayo gets liquor license: http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2010/08/downtown_cinco_de_mayo_restaur.html

I think I heard they were out of town for a wedding?

Yep. They posted on their Facebook page that the family had a wedding and closed the store for the weekend.

It's back open, now. They've also said that they're switching to glass plates instead of serving on the plastic containers. It's really great to hear that the restaurant is doing well.

Yep. They posted on their Facebook page that the family had a wedding and closed the store for the weekend.

It's back open, now. They've also said that they're switching to glass plates instead of serving on the plastic containers. It's really great to hear that the restaurant is doing well.

Wow, you know a restaurant must be doing something right, if it's closed for a couple days and people get worried.wink.gif

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I wonder what will happen to all the Jersey Shore types that frequent the bar?! :) I imagine Sellers will do something interesting. He's got a pretty good batting record so far!

BTW: This means no Beatnik Brewery on Commerce. I read it got caught up in financing and he moved on to McFadden's.

Interesting that Mark Sellers now owns what used to be Sierra Room & Club Opus (both owned by the same partners).

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

Any update on when this place opens?

Quaker Steak & Lube at the old Damon's on 28th in Kentwood, first MI location. I've eaten at 3 differnt locations and din't realize there were so few.

Is this place open and secondly, any good compared to the other wing places in town (Hooters/BW3's)

• 3 weeks later...

Proof of the further decline of UP. Twitter, GRNow.com, Facebook both "scopped" the forum on the closure of Bloom and Corez.

It's kinda sad actually... there was a time in the very recent past I could check here to learn things about GR before they ever got posted elsewhere.

Twitter serves that purpose much more effectively now.

Proof of the further decline of UP. Twitter, GRNow.com, Facebook both "scopped" the forum on the closure of Bloom and Corez.

It's kinda sad actually... there was a time in the very recent past I could check here to learn things about GR before they ever got posted elsewhere.

UP didn't always have the scoop first. It's always been a combination of posting other media outlets and people anonymously letting things slip here.

Plus, UP doesn't pay that well ($0). Should people be giving away valuable information for free?

Proof of the further decline of UP. Twitter, GRNow.com, Facebook both "scooped" [spelling fixed] the forum on the closure of Bloom and Corez.

UP has the advantage of being archival. Twitter is fast and hot and up to the minute. On here you can look up wazzis-face who was supposedly proposing something new besides the Mystery Project, and check out his track record. Also events like the "trailer park coming soon" and Artprize and construction progress.

Last time I was at Corez (SiteLab), the service was so bad, the tables were actually rallying together like an angry, pitch-forked mob. :) I guess I know why now.

Joe

Here is more info from Essence regarding the Corez story:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=502042654809&set=a.235597594809.171875.234128924809

Last time I was at Corez (SiteLab), the service was so bad, the tables were actually rallying together like an angry, pitch-forked mob. :) I guess I know why now.

Joe

Here is more info from Essence regarding the Corez story:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=502042654809&set=a.235597594809.171875.234128924809

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking of Taco Boy, does anybody know the story behind the Cascade Taco Boy? It was in the same location for years, left, the building owner put money into making it not look like Taco Boy, it sat empty for a long time, and Taco Boy opened back up? Brilliant tactic by Taco Boy to get building improvements and cheaper rent? :)

Joe

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...