Grand Rapids Restaurant Rumor Mill

dbrok

So what is the resturaunt which was looking to move into the building?

That'd be awesome if it were a BW3.

No. The last I heard it was some outfit out of Kalamazoo that owns a few bars there (if it's the same guys). Apparently if you go inside 1 Ionia, it looks like a complete bar ready to go, with tables, chairs and decorations.

Anyone have any info on when Chipotle on 28th is going to open? Love their building and can't help but think of what a great fit it would for the Medical Mile. I know it will never happen because Spectrum owns the property but the spot next door to the new Lake Michigan CU would be perfect.

Nothing specific, but it has to be soon. My work pals and I are frequent visitors to the Qdoba on 28th and they've stepped up their game in the last few weeks, giving away free samples, chips & queso and T-shirts, (usually on Wednesdays) Yesterday it was guacamole! Think they're anticipating encroachment on their burrito turf?! Menu seems very similar - haven't eaten at Chipotle, but have heard it's good.

*fish

Nothing specific, but it has to be soon. My work pals and I are frequent visitors to the Qdoba on 28th and they've stepped up their game in the last few weeks, giving away free samples, chips & queso and T-shirts, (usually on Wednesdays) Yesterday it was guacamole! Think they're anticipating encroachment on their burrito turf?! Menu seems very similar - haven't eaten at Chipotle, but have heard it's good.

*fish

I drive past the Chipotle every day. Aside from removing the port-a-potty from the front sidewalk - it appears that the inside is about ready to go. This is of course, from an untrained eye. ;) It could just as easily be a month out. :P

I believe Kelly Butler, a local football standout and player in the NFL, is a partner in this project. From what I've heard and through someone who walked away from this project (2nd hand), it's not going to be a place you'll find many UPers.

The Dragon Room

48 W. Fulton

Grand Opening this Saturday, Nov. 22.

Facebook event page:

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=34523891447

Interesting: "Smart Dress Essential"

Is that why plee30 thinks UPer's won't be there? :P

I stopped by the Dragon Room on Saturday evening, around 10pm. The place was pretty steady, but was essentially just another bar in downtown GR this night because no one was able to eat.

Like any start up, they probably have a few kinks to work out. Apparently they ran out of food Friday night and had some less than positive service issues. I'm sure these will get worked out, I hope anyway, but being open just 3 days a week may make the task more difficult.

It reminded me of a nicer (new Gilmore concept) Monkey Bar in the basement of the BOB. I would say the crowd was the same for the most part.

• 1 month later...

For you Culver butter burger lovers, there's a new one opening at the SE corner of East Beltline and Lake Eastbrook Blvd (in front of that new strip mall/previous car dealership).

Aha!, THAT explains why there's been one showing up there in Google Maps / Google Earth for like a year now!

At least they're regional, family-owned, and not too shabby on the quality. We could do a lot worse (the day Del Taco sets foot in Grand Rapids, for instance...).

Aha!, THAT explains why there's been one showing up there in Google Maps / Google Earth for like a year now!

At least they're regional, family-owned, and not too shabby on the quality. We could do a lot worse (the day Del Taco sets foot in Grand Rapids, for instance...).

I actually like Del Taco and always stop at one when I'm out West. I'd say Shoney's or Stuckey's is much worse.

Edited by plee30

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...