Grand Rapids Restaurant Rumor Mill

dbrok

On 5/22/2024 at 1:00 AM, joeDowntown said:

Broadleaf is "doing a BOB" and re-opening on the westside. Don't really understand how companies change directions so radically, but would be cool to see them fully lean into the beercade concept (they seemed to be fully embracing?) weeks before closing.

Joe

Did a little more digging and see Broadleaf is hiring for a new concept called "Shake Party", making "extravagant shakes". I wonder if they'll try to replicate what JoJo's Shake Bar has done in Chicago (which is always packed, probably a good, unique concept for the area):

https://www.jojosshakebar.com/chicago

Joe

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Did a little more digging and see Broadleaf is hiring for a new concept called "Shake Party", making "extravagant shakes". I wonder if they'll try to replicate what JoJo's Shake Bar has done in Chicago (which is always packed, probably a good, unique concept for the area):

https://www.jojosshakebar.com/chicago

Joe

I found their job posting on reddit for a shift lead  for the Shake Party too. Seems like they're trying to get away with paying a shift lead for being a manager.

A new coffee shop on South Division, but this will highlight the refugee community.

https://www.crainsgrandrapids.com/news/retail/new-south-division-retail-and-coffee-shop-to-showcase-refugee-cultures/

"The shop will employ seven refugee women participating in Treetops’ programs. Customers will be able to watch Hamad and other makers create garments and other products in real-time. 

As well, two women who have taken part in Treetops’ 15-month leadership program will run the coffee shop, which has space for 40 customers. The menu will focus on coffee, tea and pre-made snacks from different countries and cultures to showcase the diversity refugees bring with them."
  • Like 3

The food truck food court spot on Bridge Street is back

Paywall: https://www.crainsgrandrapids.com/news/real-estate/developer-resurrects-plans-for-bridge-street-food-truck-court/

It would be on the former Chase Bank location on Bridge and Lexington, so quite literally a block from where it was planned originally.

"Site plans call for demolishing the existing building on site, which most recently served as a bank branch, and constructing a restaurant with an upper roof deck. The project is set to include a courtyard, food hall and beer hall with indoor seating for 207 people and outdoor seating for 109, according to planning documents filed with the city. Hookup equipment would allow for food trucks on site, while 16 parking spaces would be included just south along Lexington Avenue NW, according to planning documents. "

• Like 1

Beat me to posting it!

This looks great and that vacant Chase Bank really is a sore spot on that street.  I also saw the plans for Bridge Street Bar in the PC packet too.  Of course, that's fun for me to look at since that was our building.

All this will really complete that block - ten years ago it was all vacant.  I wonder if anything will happen with all those nasty storage (or what ever they are) buildings behind the alley.  That's so run down too.

I'm also curious about the vacant lot behind 600 Bridge.  That has switched hands a couple times and had plans but it's still just a lot.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

Broadleaf is going to re-open their West Side/Bridge St location and be a "west side ice cream/shake shop" that will also serve drinks. Hoping for the best for them. 

Do you have any insight on whether or not they will be serving their and Vivant's beer? Seems like an odd refresh, especially after firing all previous employees, but hope the best for them too. 

• Like 1

If anyone hears of a restaurant space opening up in Eastown, East Hills, Midtown or Gaslight Village, please shoot me a message. I have a restaurant operator I know looking.

I know that Matchbox filed for bankruptcy but it sounds like they're going to try and stay open. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

If anyone hears of a restaurant space opening up in Eastown, East Hills, Midtown or Gaslight Village, please shoot me a message. I have a restaurant operator I know looking.

I know that Matchbox filed for bankruptcy but it sounds like they're going to try and stay open. 

I think Jack Danger's is closing, otherwise tell 'em to come to the westside!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jonesey said:

Smoothie King brand opening six West Michigan locations

I've heard people talk about this chain a lot, probably even on here.  Is it really that good or is it all hype?

Not really. Like tropical smoothie mixed with a fast food vibe. Reminds me of something you’d see in a shopping mall food court. 

• Like 1

A new cafe, play cafe? is coming to Eastown. I think this fits here.

Paywall: https://www.crainsgrandrapids.com/news/restaurants-1/child-friendly-play-cafe-in-eastown-offers-space-for-working-parents-to-gather/

"The playground features a playscape Moumouni designed with slides, a bridge and swings, while a small cafe serving basic coffee drinks, prepackaged snacks and offering seating for around a dozen people gives parents a place to relax. "

• Like 1

15 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Not really. Like tropical smoothie mixed with a fast food vibe. Reminds me of something you’d see in a shopping mall food court. 

Ahh whoops, maybe I was thinking about shake shack?

A new Korean Hot Pot and BBQ restaurant has opened in the former Old Chicago spot on 28th St.

Paywall: https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2024/06/new-all-you-can-eat-korean-bbq-hot-pot-restaurant-opens-in-grand-rapids.html

"The restaurant has two cooking options: a traditional hot pot where you can build your soup with bases like Thai Thom Yum and Japanese Miso topped with fresh vegetables and thin meats or a Korean BBQ with steak and chicken right on a grill at the table.

Additionally, customers can get more bang for their buck by opting in on the lunch specials Monday through Friday, where you can get one style of cooking for $20 or both for $25."

Monsoon Vietnamese in downtown is up for sale, owner is moving to Chicago.

Paywall: https://www.crainsgrandrapids.com/news/restaurants-1/downtown-vietnamese-restaurant-listed-for-sale-after-two-years-in-business/

"Monsoon Vietnamese Cuisine, which opened in 2022, will remain open as Phong Nguyen seeks a buyer for the restaurant. The move comes after Nguyen landed a new role as executive chef in Chicago at Le Colonial, a small chain of French Vietnamese restaurants. 

The 2,200-square-foot restaurant, which will be sold as a turnkey business with all equipment included, seats approximately 75 guests indoors and on sidewalk seating. The restaurant’s main open-concept dining area measures more than 1,000-square-feet, with an additional 1,000-square-foot storage space in the basement of the building."
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, RegalTDP said:

I’ve never been there but you have to admire their online marketing strategy.

8tihot.jpg.42d3508a3faced446e6787503cd9b039.jpg

Reddit is celebrating. Apparently the owner used to go on the GR sub and basically abuse people who didn't have nice things to say about them. 

I shouldn't say apparently, his account is public and yeah. It's bad 

• Haha 2

On 6/11/2024 at 12:06 PM, Cookin_peacocks said:

Reddit is celebrating. Apparently the owner used to go on the GR sub and basically abuse people who didn't have nice things to say about them. 

I shouldn't say apparently, his account is public and yeah. It's bad 

He was also asking " what did you order, what day?"  So that he could go back to his security camera records and credit card records and try to get his lawyer after people for bad reviews.
He has a checkered past and really never learned customer service,  I had two bad interactions with the owner and I am not surprised that they are closing up.

• Like 1

Thai is coming back to East Hills!

Paywall: https://www.crainsgrandrapids.com/news/restaurants-1/thai-couple-picks-grand-rapids-for-their-first-restaurant-and-brings-chef-along-with-them/

"Notable menu items include pad kra pao, a Thai staple spicy pork and basil stir fry; pad see ew, Thai stir fried noodles; tom kha gai, a savory, coconut milk-based soup; and yam woon sen, a salad made with bean thread noodles, shrimp, ground pork or chicken, chili peppers and fish sauce."

• Like 3

Sip Shine on the west side, the former Harmony Hall, has become Rapid River Beverage Company and will be called the Rapid River Stillhouse.

Link: https://rrbevco.com/sip-shine-press-release/

“You can sample our products, take in a show on our live stage, enjoy southern-style cuisine in our restaurant, and cap off your visit with a trip to the rooftop deck”.

• Like 1