Church Street Plaza | 28-Story Office/Hotel [Phase 1 Under Construction]

bic

23 minutes ago, Uncommon said:

Am I gonna be the one to have to say it?

This building is gonna be ugly.

I wouldn't go as far as calling it "ugly" per se.

Odd looking. Funky looking. 

"Unique", if one is trying to be polite.

But it will also have its good points. 

After it's finished and we start getting used to it, maybe it will begin to grow on us.

But then again, I said basically the same thing about Trump in November of 2016. :whistling:

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I wouldn't go as far as calling it "ugly" per se.

Odd looking. Funky looking. 

"Unique", if one is trying to be polite.

But it will also have its good points. 

After it's finished and we start getting used to it, maybe it will begin to grow on us.

But then again, I said basically the same thing about Trump in November of 2016. :whistling:

Oh my.

5 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

*Passes uncommon a pork chop to get the dog to play with CSP*

Oh well, now that 55W isn’t that icky brown anymore, it’ll no longer be the ugly stepsister with the weird hat. JFW will take it to the prom! 

*Needs to stop reading Harlequin Romances*

Are we really celebrating the awful baby blue color scheme of the 55W garage?

55W isn’t the ugly stepsister,  it’s the fraternal twin. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

I personally don't care for the alternating precast on the eastern façade.  I would've preferred a glass box.

I'm not too fond of that myself, but I'm glad they created a visual separation between the "sidecar" and the main tower via the use of a different material. I just wish they'd have done something different with that narrow vertical strip of "no-man's-land" in between the two sections, rather than making it the same glass as on the tower.

tremont-plaza-new-rendering-7-2016*1024x

In the rendering, it appears as though they have some kind of vertical strips on that section of glass, which visually separates it from the main tower that shows  horizontal strips.

On the actual building, it looks like they decided to leave all of that off, which sort of melds the two sections together and making the main tower look less sleek and slender.

IMG_20190424_080513.thumb.jpg.a2c003e6f0

Pinching pennies, I'm guessing.

• Thanks 1

Or it is a system that goes on over top of the glass and is not installed yet. (Let's hope). 

I am with the RedStar. I will wait until it is complete to make my decision, but I like the rendering design, actually, compared to other generic buildings of the same bland stucco, beige squares and visor mentality. I am probably the only one with that opinion, I guess.

I just wish, like most of you, that they made it taller. I also think much of the design was driven by it being a SunRail station, which necessitates a certain longitudinal dimension to accommodate the length of the train/station. Because of this and the commercial demand available, the designers are somewhat forced into some parameters for the overall shape of the buildings.  I do hope that Phase II has a bit more variation so that as a whole it doesn't just end up looking like some giant double wall of glass from I-4 on the west facade. That would be awful. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Or it is a system that goes on over top of the glass and is not installed yet. (Let's hope). 

That's what I'm hoping, too.

Not sure if they'd go back after the fact and put it on by use of a scaffolding.

I'm thinking that if it were going to be on there, it might be on the glass panels prior to installation.

But of course, I could be totally wrong about that.

tumblr_mafpnwKcrx1qzj4mzo6_r1_250.gif

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, codypet said:

The NY time building in NY stands out to me as something like that on the outside in my foggy memory.  Do we remember how that was installed?  Was it after the fact?

It talks about ceramic rods on at least part of the building. The photos you usually see of the Times itself (which has the lower floors except the ground floor) are usually at night with the lights on that make it look like screens with the paper’s masthead imprinted over it. Whether that’s really the case, I’ll let dcluley or someone interpret from the wiki description:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_York_Times_Building

The funniest thing about this is that the system shown in the design is actually a form of Brise Soleil for the southern side of the building that is facing the sun. :tw_joy:

Not sure what system was specified, however, if you look closely at the photo IAF posted previously, you can see what appears to be attachment points for an exterior sun shade system to be installed: 

Untitled-1.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dcluley98 said:

The funniest thing about this is that the system shown in the design is actually a form of Brise Soleil for the southern side of the building that is facing the sun. :tw_joy:

Not sure what system was specified, however, if you look closely at the photo IAF posted previously, you can see what appears to be attachment points for an exterior sun shade system to be installed: 

Untitled-1.png

Hank’s been hankerin’’ for a new brise!

58 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Untitled-1.png

Good catch. I didn't think to zoom in close on those pics.

Looks like they might be going on after all. :thumbsup: