Brooklyn Village Redevelopment in 2nd Ward

atlrvr

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Looks like the city and county might give the developers of Brooklyn Village another 10 years to redevelop this area.  Unbelievable.  I think it is time for a new developer or another huge land banking operation has begun and unlike Levine this is more city and county's problem. 

https://www.wfae.org/post/brooklyn-village-developers-could-get-10-year-extension-buy-marshall-park#stream/0

Amazing how this developer can't get this going while less desirable lots nearby are infilling like crazy.

27 minutes ago, Dale said:

Can we stop disparaging the Peebles and the Levines and visit our scorn upon the city-county ?

The city looks inept here too

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Levine owns his properties and he is free to build whatever the zoning allows whenever.  He has not for whatever reasons.  True the local government controls N Tryon parcels at the Hal Marshall Center and those plans are moving forward albeit slowly. 

The situation with the 2nd Ward land is different as the city and county govt. went into partnership with this developer Peebles to get this project.  They are already missing deadlines as posted by others.  Local government has more skin in this game thus more blame in the failure to get it off the ground.  

The city should be suing the shirt off Levine's back for not yet delivering either parking deck.

It seems it is moving forward albeit at a very slow pace.  Not sure why this site might even need a rezoning I would have thought that would be taken care of when they the development group purchased it. 

I mean it sounds like there may be some resistance to granting another decade ?

I think selling off land piecemeal with deed restrictions is brilliant.  It is a strategy I promoted for EastLANDa few years ago.  I'm not sure what BV and Peebles refers to, but I like "piecemeal" and "deed restricted".

EDIT:ok... Brooklyn Village and Peebles is the developer.

EDIT 2 sorry, Eastland not Eastway

Edited by archiham04
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, archiham04 said:

I think selling off land piecemeal with deed restrictions is brilliant.  It is a strategy I promoted for Eastway a few years ago.  I'm not sure what BV and Peebles refers to, but I like "piecemeal" and "deed restricted".

BV=Brooklyn Village, Peebles = development company currently pegged to develop the site sometime in the next century.

I don't know if "BV" is big enough, but I think Eastland is.  My strategy for Eastlandwould have a graduated, below market, homesteader, weighted lottery: weighted toward qualified buyers with proven nearby long-term  residency.  The only deed restriction would only be that the parcel could never be combined with another (to prevent speculators).  The development would be subsidized with infrastructure improvements and pre-approved building type permits.

Edited by archiham04
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...
On 9/23/2019 at 7:40 PM, go_vertical said:

Fixed that for ya. 

At least for First Ward and Brooklyn, the land is valuable enough for it to have the capability to quickly change hands and be developed. That wasn't the case with Eastland. The positive is it helps and helped o push development toward South End which is a net positive. 

On 12/28/2019 at 3:18 PM, KJHburg said:

GREAT Brooklyn exhibit at the Levine Museum of the New South about the neighborhood and the redevelopment.  Great history here and worthy of a visit.  Photos from the museum.   Bank of America free museum days through the rest of the year so go see it for free if you are a BofA customer.  Formerly called LogTown due to the many log houses did not know that.  Upper level in the museum and there is a mention of the redevelopment again by BK Partners but nothing news breaking there unfortunately.

Good hint here

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...