Nashville Urbanplanet.org Facebook Page

Paramount747

Have we thought of actually having an active Facebook forum? We could instant message any member without posting and having to wait for a response. We would basically have a Facebook Group for Urbanplanet Nashville.

We would have so much more capabilities than just a message board format. Posting photos would be easier, and others on Facebook could connect with us and actually help us grow the forum.

So many interest groups I have an interest in have Facebook forums and pages. We could instantly contact each other to have an impromptu mini meet etc...

What do you think?

Discuss

John

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, i wouldn't like that. I like to escape from the world of Facebook sometimes, and this is one of the places i come to do so. Also, i would be afraid that with Facebook, may come an onslaught of people who aren't as nerdy as we all are about the built environment. I like the fact that we have a group of people who are very passionate about a niche topic. I would hate to see that passion diluted.

This is just my personal opinion, but i may be in the minority. While i like and respect everyone on here, i don't come to meets and don't know you guys personally, but i know many of you do. So, maybe it would benefit those of you who do, more than people like me. I'm all for whatever the majority desires.

I refuse to jump on the facebook bandwagon too.  Several forums I used to visit daily are now died due to facebook; the forum start a facebook group and everyone starts doing there posting on facebook and the forum is more less dead.  Don't kill one of only three (maybe two really since NICO's dying for the same reason) forums I have left.

#oldfarts

lol @ the old farts on this site

Funny!

Well I guess my question has been answered. Trying to balance Facebook, Linked In and UP can be a challenge checking all three everyday during my busy work schedule. I don't post on SSP, SSC, and rarely on City-Data. I gave up Cyburbia.org a long time ago. I'll see what everyone else thinks, but there are quite a few on this site that are on FB and I post a lot on FB that also post here, se we shall see. Something to discuss at the next meeting. I did purge about 300+ people off my Facebook  friends list however.

lol @ the old farts on this site

I'm only 34, but I may be old minded (if that's a word). I hate all this hand held tech savvy and instant information crap; my wife finally made me get a cell phone two years ago, so I held out for as long as I could. Why would I want to make it easier for people to get ahold of me?  As for facebook; I’m not putting my whole life story and family photos on the internet for all to read and see, and facebook is killing forums.  Forums are much easier to follow with subject threads, but facebook and twitter is so random and sporadic with subject and content you need an interpreter.

I'm only 34, but I may be old minded (if that's a word). I hate all this hand held tech savvy and instant information crap; my wife finally made me get a cell phone two years ago, so I held out for as long as I could. Why would I want to make it easier for people to get ahold of me?  As for facebook; I’m not putting my whole life story and family photos on the internet for all to read and see, and facebook is killing forums.  Forums are much easier to follow with subject threads, but facebook and twitter is so random and sporadic with subject and content you need an interpreter.

EXACTLY! Twitter can be an interesting stream-of-consciousness sort of thing, more just public communication than anything. Facebook, however, is just a jumbled mess of humanity, with each person willingly exposing their entire lives to the world.

Funny!

Well I guess my question has been answered. Trying to balance Facebook, Linked In and UP can be a challenge checking all three everyday during my busy work schedule. I don't post on SSP, SSC, and rarely on City-Data. I gave up Cyburbia.org a long time ago. I'll see what everyone else thinks, but there are quite a few on this site that are on FB and I post a lot on FB that also post here, se we shall see. Something to discuss at the next meeting. I did purge about 300+ people off my Facebook  friends list however.

Give up linked in. Its a waste of time as well.

Archived