SunRail

sunshine

well in that case, are those "short years" all leap years? Hmmm... since the next leap year is 2008, we will have a "couple of short years" by 2012. We will have a rail by 2013 then.

I have often thought it would be a good idea to buy a mule or a donkey and commute to work on I-4 on that. Sure it might get me a ticket, or arrested, but I'd get on TV and it would raise public awareness about our unliveable commuter situation. Really, it would be a public service.

But instead, I'll just kick my car and curse the day the internal combustion engine was invented.

Edited by radiostatic102

Oh, I know that. To clarify, my question was why the incredulity as to the county not ponying up for the cities.

I'm not worried about the county not ponying up the money, rather I'm worried about the stupidity of Maitland and WP for not wanting to pay for a station in their respective backyards.

Edited by Migman

I'm not worried about the county not ponying up the money, rather I'm worried about the stupidity of Maitland and WP for not wanting to pay for a station in their respective backyards.

I can almost understand them not wanting a rail station if there was no rail in place already, but it's already in place. Aren't these municipalities going to make more money from property taxes after the values increase just by having a station in those areas, not to mention the increase in sales for their businesses? I might have the whole concept of property taxes wrong. Does that go to the city or the county in which it is collected?

Edited by bulldogger

You guys obviously don't understand that these hulking trains will block out the sunlight, and all vegetation within two miles of the tracks will perish. Also, the trains will be so loud as to cause involuntary grinding of the teeth. Finally, the trains will so foul the environment that Rush Limbaugh will call for a series of closed-door meetings with Al Gore and Leonardo DiCaprio.

:blink:
You guys obviously don't understand that these hulking trains will block out the sunlight, and all vegetation within two miles of the tracks will perish. Also, the trains will be so loud as to cause involuntary grinding of the teeth. Finally, the trains will so foul the environment that Rush Limbaugh will call for a series of closed-door meetings with Al Gore and Leonardo DiCaprio.

yeah... aren't those double-decker trains? yep, they violate local height restrictions.

Did anyone see the full pg ad in this past Sunday's Sentinel by the "Save Central Park" group, vehemently opposing commuter rail in Winter Park?

Their site, according to the ad: Save Central Park

Yea. It was in today's paper too, on the backside of the "Orange" section. The funny thing about it to me is how they transpose an image of a commuter train on the rail into a picture of Central Park, presumably to portray how unsightly it will look in their precious landscape - yet it looks exactly like it does when the Amtrak trains come through the same tracks, just a different colored train. It's ridiculous.

Look, I fully respect WP citizens' right to oppose a station, or whatever they want to oppose. But their opposing arguments are so ludicrous. This idea that commuter rail is going to "destroy" Central Park is mind-boggling. Last I checked, the train is still going to ride on the tracks and not come sliding through the park itself. The appearance issue also is ludicrous. The same ad mentions how the train will be some 20 feet tall, as though that is some hideously tall height. This outrage against all things tall is starting to get ridiculous. Soon they are going to want to ban six foot tall men and woman from the city as well, so as to preserve the city's "character."

I will say there is one valid claim that the Central Park-huggers make - that no traffic study has been done on the effects of a station. A traffic study should be performed so that contingent plans can be discussed and arranged to accommodate for whatever effects a station may have on the area. Of course the they won't use the results for that purpose - they will claim the results, whatever they were to be, are reasons not to have station.

I can almost understand them not wanting a rail station if there was no rail in place already, but it's already in place. Aren't these municipalities going to make more money from property taxes after the values increase just by having a station in those areas, not to mention the increase in sales for their businesses? I might have the whole concept of property taxes wrong. Does that go to the city or the county in which it is collected?

No you're right, the cities stand to benefit if the property values go up.

Anyone who has sat at the X-ing on Fairbanks while some 50 car freight train lumbered by, or even better sat on the tracks for a while must think these people are smoking crack.

why do these look like ugly regular locomotive trains and not subway style commuter trains like MARTA in atlanta?????

Different animal altogether. It's commutor rail, designed to carry a large number of passengers at relatively infrequent intervals, using rolling stock, and traveling on existing rail lines. Thus, a good deal cheaper than something like Marta, which would cost billions of dollars if built today.

Until some else posts some info that was at the event, here's my $.02 from the WInter Park deal yesterday:

1. WP residents are crazy nuts. They are idiots that don't know what they're talking about; they were passing out these St.P Day green t-shirts and what not to protest the train stop. THey think the Amtrak station is historically significant. They fear Valencia students who are "tatooed" using the train to go to the WP campus. They fear the buses ruining their quality of life, yet noone ever said anything about buses on Park Ave. They fear that Central Park will be ruined. Someone even drew chalk lines on CSX's easement, as a scare tactic, to show how they could potentially build 20-30 ft. into the park. It's funny, up north, rail easements are usually the width of Central Park around a freight line. WP's got it lucky.

2. Commuter Rail has already purchased trains for the rail line. The 2-car deal that rolled thru here in August is ours, not a test train for show. It is currently in use in Tri-Rail working out all of the kinks since it is new production vehicle. The 2-car train that was here yesterday is ours too, headed to SoFla for the same reason. There are two more cars coming by the summer of '07, to make a total of 6 cars or two 3-car trains which are reversible (two locomotives each) which are all that is contracted for at the moment with Colorado Rail, the MFR. I spoke to the production manager for the co., who was inside the train answering questions. CFRAIL will probably purchase more trains for Phase I and will definitely purchase more trains for Phase II.

So to clarify a misconception, CFRAIL already has trains that have been purchased; this project is a go. It's just the issue of WP's station that is up in the air.

Aside from the horn, that is a quiet train. It's nice, too. The Rep. told me that our tracks are in so much better condition than tracks are up north. Fox35 was there; I declined to comment b/c I was schlepping about. Apparently, WP turned down $3M for a study as to where a station might go.

Edited by JRS1