SouthEnd "Gold District"

Windsurfer

• 2 weeks later...

I know this has been said before but that Morehead stretch from Mint to Tryon is a miss with no retail except for the coffee shop at The Crown - unless I'm missing something else? Yeah,  the stadium sits vacant most of the year but the fact it's there should've been a driver for something. Have to think at this point though, a bar/restaurant probably wouldn't fair well with nothing else around it.   

I think this location would've been great for a hotel, maybe? Stadium across the street. It's  south end which like most have said could use more lodging options plus  it's also close enough to uptown with Duke, Legacy ,and others right there.

• Like 4

It's unfortunate that whoever purchased that row of old buildings between Church and Mint couldn't get their vision off the ground.  I think too many people can't see that block for what it COULD be in the future over what it is today which is just a stretch many people just speed through to avoid the traffic lights.  It also doesn't help that the city (county?) put up that building with zero street interaction between Morehead and 277.

• Like 2

^ After a really pleasant visit to Greenville SC, it was clear that one of the things that makes their main street / West End so walkable is that traffic is CALM. It was partly a product of routing all through traffic around downtown, and partly thanks to the tons of public parking that is available a block away from main street (but not on main street!). I don't think any street frontage along 4 lanes of uncalmed traffic is going to find much success.

• Morehead = awful for pedestrians. I doubt NCDOT / CDOT will do anything since it is viewed as an 'important' connection to 77 (although the 1/2 ramp is kinda dumb as long as 277 remains intact)
  • Mint = OK on Gold District side (lack of traffic is both a blessing and a curse), awful on stadium side
  • South = apocalyptic pedestrian environment
  • East blvd = Nice effort at calming, but speeds (and cruising) still make it unpleasant for walking and biking at times. Total failure where there is an OK streetscape (Kennilworth + Scott)

[the downside of Greenville is car sewers get pretty bad just a couple of blocks from the twin pedestrian corridors of Main and the river]

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wish the trend of painting buildings black and white would die out already.  It looks sharp when the paint is fresh, but I've noticed black paint does not hold up well in the hot Carolina sun and needs to be re-done frequently and white paint obviously needs frequent washing.  Packard Place should have been a good lesson for developers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Some Gold District shots today.  The Prospect by Spectrum looks great corner retail spot available with patio.  Lots of new residents in this area and they probably need a little store for basics.   So many new apartment complexes.  2 under construction including the high rise along Morehead and 2 finishing up the Prospect and Grubb's apartment building.   Somewhere there needs to be an urban QuikTrip or 7-11. 

20230809_092902.jpg

This facade looks worse the longer I look at it. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2