SouthEnd "Gold District"

Windsurfer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

And, still no acknowledgement of the old gold mines except for the name of the district. Some of the old time and influential business owners , like The Dowds, really need to take more pride in our history and work on that.  I would if I were more influential. Old-timer, yes, that much is true. Pretty sure most of those folks wouldn't give me the time of day but it doesn't stop me from fantasizing calling or writing them. Perhaps a letter to the editor.... 

Pretty soon, there won't be any shafts left to open up and convert to nightclubs or museums. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Windsurfer said:

And, still no acknowledgement of the old gold mines except for the name of the district. Some of the old time and influential business owners , like The Dowds, really need to take more pride in our history and work on that.  I would if I were more influential. Old-timer, yes, that much is true. Pretty sure most of those folks wouldn't give me the time of day but it doesn't stop me from fantasizing calling or writing them. Perhaps a letter to the editor.... 

Pretty soon, there won't be any shafts left to open up and convert to nightclubs or museums. 

Not sure if this is exactly what you're referring to, but Spectrum's apartments are named The Prospect as a nod to the gold district and Link Mint has a ton of art and other references in the interiors to the history of mining and Charlotte having the first US mint.

• Like 1

I thought there was only the one shaft off Summit open in the first place and the proposal that did exist for the property used it as a feature/historical showpiece. Halted now because of NIMBYs

Edited by Guest

9 minutes ago, MothBeast said:

I thought there was only the one shaft off Summit open in the first place and the proposal that did exist for the property used it as a feature/historical showpiece. Halted now because of NIMBYs

St. Catherine's had a couple of shafts that are now plugged. Those were either directly on Charlotte Pipe company or next to it. Regardless, plenty of horizontal shafts down under.  

I don't remember any controversy surrounding the Rudisill mine.  That is another one that could be set up.  Many of those older one story buildings in that area were founded as vendors and service companies to the mines.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Reverie39 said:

How many of these new residential developments have street level retail? That is always important in giving a neighborhood some energy and life.

This part. So much density in KJs photos and to think the amount of apartments plus residents/future residents concentrated in one area, it's a shame there will be little to bring more life to the streets that make up this neighborhood. I will say that I could be wrong and may have missed something but my speculation is that it will be typical of what we've seen from developers in time past  (the exception  being being of course the recent projects of south end). So, retail spaces but no occupancy (high rent) = Gym, doctors office etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The Prospect has ground-floor retail, as does the new apartment project across from Seoul BBQ.  Ground-floor retail is overrated, however.  Frankly, not every corner of every urban neighborhood needs it.  Pedestrian comfort and enticement are what enliven a neighborhood.  Make it comfortable for walking, a signature pedestrian experience, and you’ll have your sense of life and liveliness at street level.  The key to urban street-level vigor is the demonstrated design that prioritizes people walking or using walking aids at a human pace and scale over motor vehicles.  You don’t need shopping opportunities or opportunities to eat overpriced, high-sodium, artery-clogging cuisine or to consume liver-wrenching spirits to achieve sustainable urban vitality.  Ground-floor retail missing from the pics below and it’s still urban and fine.

IMG_1968.jpeg

IMG_1971.jpeg

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, RANYC said:

The Prospect has ground-floor retail, as does the new apartment project across from Seoul BBQ.  Ground-floor retail is overrated, however.  "Frankly, not every corner of every urban neighborhood needs it.  Pedestrian comfort and enticement are what enliven a neighborhood.  "Make it comfortable for walking, a signature pedestrian experience, and you’ll have your sense of life and liveliness at street level.  The key to urban street-level vigor is the demonstrated design that prioritizes people walking or using walking aids at a human pace and scale over motor vehicles.  You don’t need shopping opportunities or opportunities to eat overpriced, high-sodium, artery-clogging cuisine or to consume liver-wrenching spirits to achieve sustainable urban vitality.  Ground-floor retail missing from the pics below and it’s still urban and fine.

IMG_1968.jpeg

IMG_1971.jpeg

Totally agree and I'm onboard with the sentiment here. However my comments lean more toward the "energy and life" aspect which for me speaks more to how vibrant the neighborhood is as opposed to how urban. To your point about the pedestrian experience, when you think about streets like Morehead (edge of the neighborhood, I know) and certain parts of Carson, they are not exactly inviting  to  foot traffic.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Prodev said:

Not sure if this is exactly what you're referring to, but Spectrum's apartments are named The Prospect as a nod to the gold district and Link Mint has a ton of art and other references in the interiors to the history of mining and Charlotte having the first US mint.

I'm talking about something along the lines of Reed Gold Mine.,   Such a vital part of our history!  What a chance that's being blown.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...