SouthEnd "Gold District"

Windsurfer

10 hours ago, MothBeast said:

I think you have your land mixed up. This is on the northern corner of the intersection. The south corner is the old mineshaft development that fell through 

The entire area is honeycombed with shafts and cross sections.

• Like 2

I may be mistaken but i don’t believe the land on the north corner has any known access points or opportunities to use the existing mining tunnels like the land on the south corner. The tunnels go throughout the entire area, it feels like alarmism to act like there is no hope just because some land got flipped. The situation as I understand it is that the Rudasill shaft is the only (at least easy engineering wise) opportunity for the type of integration we have discussed like a cocktail bar or a museum (my preference). Otherwise any gold museum would have to dig up a shaft themselves or just not have that kind of feature. I think the old southern elevator company land is the one to watch for a physical in-earth exhibit, otherwise there will always be an opportunity for a gold museum in the area, just like the Levine museum could find space in an old skyscraper any ground floor of these new developments could be a gold museum.

Edited by MothBeast

2 hours ago, MothBeast said:

I may be mistaken but i don’t believe the land on the north corner has any known access points or opportunities to use the existing mining tunnels like the land on the south corner. The tunnels go throughout the entire area, it feels like alarmism to act like there is no hope just because some land got flipped. The situation as I understand it is that the Rudasill shaft is the only (at least easy engineering wise) opportunity for the type of integration we have discussed like a cocktail bar or a museum (my preference). Otherwise any gold museum would have to dig up a shaft themselves or just not have that kind of feature. I think the old southern elevator company land is the one to watch for a physical in-earth exhibit, otherwise there will always be an opportunity for a gold museum in the area, just like the Levine museum could find space in an old skyscraper any ground floor of these new developments could be a gold museum.

I can't seem to open the article that shows the corner we're talking about.  My comment is meant to express that, sooner or later, any and all opportunities to showcase our history will be buried in our haste to develop.  I would think the owners of Pipe and Foundry would have a modicum of interest in Charlotte's history too since their property has the bulk of the old St. Catherine's mine history..   This is probably a lost cause. I'm guessing nobody here, save for Videtur and, I think "The Professor", remembers the old shaft that is covered up in the Panther's parking areas beneath the railroad track and beside Morehead. (?)

Re Videtur's link, my cousin has a house on Shoreham Dr., off Providence, that had a shaft they filled in the 50's.  They're everywhere around here.

Sorry for the slight vent. It's happy hour in London.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Windsurfer said:

I can't seem to open the article that shows the corner we're talking about.  My comment is meant to express that, sooner or later, any and all opportunities to showcase our history will be buried in our haste to develop.  I would think the owners of Pipe and Foundry would have a modicum of interest in Charlotte's history too since their property has the bulk of the old St. Catherine's mine history..   This is probably a lost cause. I'm guessing nobody here, save for Videtur and, I think "The Professor", remembers the old shaft that is covered up in the Panther's parking areas beneath the railroad track and beside Morehead. (?)

Re Videtur's link, my cousin has a house on Shoreham Dr., off Providence, that had a shaft they filled in the 50's.  They're everywhere around here.

Sorry for the slight vent. It's happy hour in London.

Cheers!

For those interested in historic gold mining the McIntyre site is a historic location at the corner of Beattys* Ford and McIntyre Avenue. This was the site of the battle which may have had the beehives involved which surprised and confused the English force foraging for supplies from Charlotte. Later referred to as hornets by the English officers, and the phrase "a damned hornet's nest of rebellion." It has been some years since I was there but the path through the trees at the site show the occasional pits and trenches locals dug in the search for gold, from the time of the battle and onward for many yeas. My memory is that these holes were moderate depressions in the ground as the men with simple farm tools dug as far and as deep as they could by a single person. There were many holes so there must have been some reason for the continued efforts. 

*I have seen this spelled beattys, beatty's, beatties, beattie's. 

http://landmarkscommission.org/2016/12/15/mcintyre-site/

edit: link added

Edited by videtur quam contuor
  • Like 4

adjacent landowners concerned about fuzzy info from NCDOT on Phase 2 of the rail passenger equipment service yard. (this is manufactured news, there has been no movement on the project to report)

https://www.wbtv.com/2024/01/30/mixed-messages-ncdot-leave-south-end-businesses-confused-about-rail-projects-impact/

Edited by kermit
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, jjwilli said:

This project belongs out by the airport as an extension of any work to prepare Charlotte for high speed rail to Atlanta.

Yea.

This is the problem with how we are approaching HSR in this country. We know CLT-ATL is inevitable, but no one wants to find the money for it now, so we are doomed to waste money on temporary structures like this facility at Summit.

For the airport site to happen NCDOT will need to find 10s of millions (perhaps 100s) to pay off NS to allow them to use the tracks to the airport. The current site has dedicated track to Gateway, it is certainly the most economical option at the moment.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...