SouthEnd "Gold District"

Windsurfer

Sure this is a NIMBY move because this does not belong in their backyard. Yes, the original proposal was way back in the early 2000s before the blue line completely changed the trajectory of this area. Also, the size of the planned facility has drastically increased from the original proposal. Places like Frothy Beard most likely would be claimed under eminent domain and demolished when under the original proposal that was not the case.

The Wilmore neighborhood had a few issues with the original proposal but most of those had to do with the train washing facility that would have been on the neighborhood side of Summit. The number of train crossings (horns / noise / diverted traffic) across Summit would have greatly increased and the washing facility was planned on the most toxic land on that parcel. NCDOT signaled to the neighborhood that the train washing facility was removed from the plan and any opposition went away. Now they are back with an even larger proposal in an area that has drastically changed in the last 5 years. I’m tired of this area being the punching bag for NCDOT over the past 50 years.

The new needs are too great for the area they originally planned for and they should go back to the drawing board for a new location.  I am biased but the airport seems like a great end destination / starting point for the Piedmont and Red lines and this facility should be out there.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AltNative said:

What's going on in Wilmore? There's a disproportionate number of homes sitting for sale. Has the encroaching noisy nightlife or this planned rail facility turned off potential buyers? It seems like something has changed recently

8% mortgage rates seems to be slowing things down fast in many sub-markets across Charlotte. The jump from 7% to 8% rates results in about a 11% increase ($500 a month) in principal & interest on a $800,000 house at 20% down. If people were already stretching to try to afford houses, this jump in rates just pushes more people down in price point.

People that had a budget of $800,000 maximum now have a budget of about $720,000 max to have the same mortgage payment prior to rates moving from 7% to 8%. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 cash sales on my block last 4 months. Individual owners, not institutional. There is a lot of money sloshing around here. 585k-790k price.

On 10/26/2023 at 2:15 PM, CLT2014 said:

8% mortgage rates seems to be slowing things down fast in many sub-markets across Charlotte. The jump from 7% to 8% rates results in about a 11% increase ($500 a month) in principal & interest on a $800,000 house at 20% down. If people were already stretching to try to afford houses, this jump in rates just pushes more people down in price point.

People that had a budget of $800,000 maximum now have a budget of about $720,000 max to have the same mortgage payment prior to rates moving from 7% to 8%. 

• Like 1

My memory from the early 1970's was that the property across Summit (west of the project) was Whitin Textile Machinery. I knew the daughter of the Whitin family owners at that time. I cannot recall a bleachery. Nonetheless soil issues may be involved. 

It is hard to imagine, even with my memory, how many textile, textile supporting, textile adjacent businesses were in our area and most of them family owned from that time and before

• Like 1

16 hours ago, videtur quam contuor said:

My memory from the early 1970's was that the property across Summit (west of the project) was Whitin Textile Machinery. I knew the daughter of the Whitin family owners at that time. I cannot recall a bleachery. Nonetheless soil issues may be involved. 

It is hard to imagine, even with my memory, how many textile, textile supporting, textile adjacent businesses were in our area and most of them family owned from that time and before

Hmmm, this may be a case of me misremembering about the bleachery. I think I remember looking at a Sanbourne Map of the site which specified that. Unfortunately I can’t find that particular plate at the moment to verify. You can go to Polaris and it shows the parcel to be a MPL site which indicates it is on the “Mecklenburg Priority List” for remediation, but provides very little additional info. Last time I paid attention to it there was active groundwater monitoring happening on the site.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2023 at 4:34 PM, kermit said:

I don't really understand the logic of the 'divide the city' argument. The NS double track mainline is already there and it is not going anywhere, so the city is already divided on this axis. While the plan indicates there will be a couple more rail crossings of summit added, these will be very slow speed moves, and just a few times per day. Way less impact and danger than an LRT crossing due to lower speeds.

Its also worth keeping in mind that the land to the West of Summit is severely contaminated thanks to the bleaching mill that sat there until the 1980s (I believe) -- it is unlikely to ever be useful for residential. This is doubly true since the parcel is wedged between a busy mainline rail track and I-77. 

Finally, I lol'd the the historic building pearl clutching. This is Charlotte after all, just look at Wilmore and Dilworth to see how little anyone in this town cares about historic preservation. At least this project improves mobility and reduces some carbon outputs. Most historic buildings in this town get torn down to accommodate $25,000 patio sets and to build big blank walls to accommodate 70 inch flat screens. 

In Charlotte, NIMBY’s are very vocal about what they want (as pretty much all NIMBY’s are everywhere).  Being vocal surprisingly works in local politics. At the same time, most of the pro-urban folks seem to go with the flow for fear nothing at all gets built in the city. I haven’t really seen activist or pro-urban folks get riled up other than in NoDa. NoDa has some fierce & a pretty large base of pro-urban residents who are going to make sure what gets built in their neighborhood is to their liking. 

It’s this weird dynamic where common-sense progress is blocked by NIMBY’s even if it doesn’t affect them & it has zero to do with historical preservations or neighborhood character etc. as evidenced  by their giant wacky McMansions towering over the older Bungalows in the neighborhood. And on the other hand the Broader Urbanist community doesn’t really oppose things like Hearst Tower being ruined with the Truist logo, so many historical things being knocked down (the buildings where Dimensional Place is, Tryon House & the other buildings on North Tryon, Polk Park demolished at Trade/Tryon, Polk Building at 500 West Trade demolished, potentially getting rid of Marshall Park, etc). Again, NoDa being an exception. 

We can’t build nice apartments on a ghetto dilapidated gas station that no longer sells gas because it’s a historical neighborhood but let’s tear down Polk Park and then finalize some plans on what can replace it. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Can someone explain the type of construction on this new apartment tower on W Morehead?  is it steel framing as it is what 17 stories? It is being done somewhat differently than other high rise apartment towers around here. 

Similar to the construction of Lowe’s Tech with the concrete deck and steel frame above. My guess is Steel has dropped in price in 2022 by a not so insignificant amount. They probably chose it because it was economical and would allow for those heights as opposed to wood.  Steel is also a much faster build method so that combination might have been attractive.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JRCLT said:

Similar to the construction of Lowe’s Tech with the concrete deck and steel frame above. My guess is Steel has dropped in price in 2022 by a not so insignificant amount. They probably chose it because it was economical and would allow for those heights as opposed to wood.  Steel is also a much faster build method so that combination might have been attractive.

thanks for so many high rise residential towers are poured concrete.   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...