Element Music Row | 19 stories, 431 Units | Musica Roundabout

smeagolsfree

Hensler's 1212 had some stellar renderings that really sold the project. Interesting that Childress Klien chose to never release professional renderings of the project or site. Perhaps it is because they are still 16-18 months from market.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

It's clearly not a highrise in the sense that Sobro or especially Paramount is, but it will dominate the city block like buildings many times its height.

This is a great observation. I've always been more impressed by a building with presence than one with just height.  I like this one and the Aertson for that reason.

If only we could get some wider sidewalks, fewer curb cuts, and some buried power lines, it'd look like a real, grown up city!

... and with the planned removal of the worst of those unburied utility-line poles and guys without any protective sheathing.

And the curb cuts?  It's too bad that the city has chosen for its standard design that which it employs for curb cuts for curb-ramp  construction for driveways and entrances across sidewalks.  I realize that this has much to do with ADA compliance with pitch and cross slope, but many of these seem to favor the pedestrian and the physically challenged, at the expense of maneuverability of motor vehicles negotiating turns into and from these ramps.  IMO the design should incorporate better angular entry for turning vehicles by providing a curb-ramp flares, graded transitions from a curb ramp to the surrounding sidewalk.  This would help eliminate the characteristic bump and thump that seems almost unavoidable as one turns onto one of those things.  I'm referring specifically to curb ramps designed for commercial traffic (rather than for private drives), and all too often I have witnessed premature fracturing of the concrete curb ramps. along with curb breaching, where the curb ramp leading to a heavily used approach to a business was designed as too abrupt to properly accommodate the various types of vehicular traffic that must traverse it.  (Kroger and Home Depot are some glaring examples around town, although some of these seem to be in the process of being replaced).  A well designed curb ramp should have a gentle cross slope to minimize the chance of a wheelchair user from losing control and rolling into the roadway, while also providing a cue (by its shape) for the visually impaired that a drive is being approached.

I also see examples of newer retrofit "improvement" curb ramps at street corners where the improvement ended up worsening or creating a serious drainage problem (e.g. Belmont Blvd at Shackleford Rd.), and where an sidewalk was constructed  with no storm drains and no built-in gutter for a distance of over 2 blocks and the runoff from a cross street would flood across the roadway and create a freezing hazard across the entire lane adjacent to the ill-planned curb (Belmont Blvd., south of Woodmont).  I have heard from diverse and in some cases "authoritative" sources that a number of sidewalks applied over the last 30 years amount to a mere hodgepodge of junk.

Other cities often have more rounded curb-ramp flares across sidewalks.  While curb flares are not as gentle as curb ramps with  Also, the curb standard itself chosen for this city employs almost exclusively a vertical curb, rather than a combination of vertical and steeply sloping curbs.  I recognize that for roadways with very limited RoW and where the sidewalk (usually built along only one side of the road) cannot be separated by grass strips from the roadway, and vertical curbs often are the choice to protect pedestrians from an "errant" vehicle.  However, there also are numerous recent sidewalk projects where the curb, IMO, safely could have been cast (in compliance) as sloping instead of vertical, to minimize the chance of the driver of an errant vehicle from losing control when if the curb is struck by a front wheel (vertical curbs tend to snag a wheel, while a steeply sloping curb tends to deflect it).  Sloping curbs also look better, IMO, as they often have a rather rounded edge, as opposed to the abrupt edge of vertical curbs.  Many of the lower-speed roadways (30 mph or less) in other cities seem to utilize the sloping curb wherever possible in new construction according to their interpretations of compliance.

Anyway, thanks for bring this up.

-==-

• 4 weeks later...